Acid is part of our body. We require acid to do many things including digest our food. If someone feels that they have an overabundance of acid, perhaps they should consider that they don’t consume enough water. Dr. F. Batmanghelidj coined the phrase, “You’re not sick, you’re thirsty.” I quote from his website (www.watercure.com): “Water is the basis of all life and that includes your body. Your muscles that move your body are 75% water; your blood that transport nutrients is 82% water; your lungs that provide your oxygen are 90% water; your brain that is the control center of your body is 76% water; even your bones are 25% water. Our health is truly dependent on the quality and quantity of the water we drink.”
We’ve seen many health issues clear up by simply following Dr. B’s recommendation and adding a few drops of essential oils to help facilitate moving toxins out of your body.
Drink ½ your body weight in ounces of pure water daily. For added health benefits, some have reported success by adding fresh squeezed citrus to each quart of water.
Once you determine the amount of water you should be drinking a day, pour it up every morning into glasses or quart jars. By the end of the day, any water remaining will remind you that you need to work harder the next day to be sure you get your body adequately hydrated.
Do The Beet Test: How to Tell if You Have Low Stomach Acid & Weak Digestion
Drinking Water Better than Drugs in Suppressing Acid Reflux by Dr. Mercola
15 Natural Remedies for the Treatment of Acid Reflux and Ulcers by Dr. Mercola
Adequate amounts of stomach acid requires iodine, zinc, B1 and salt. Low stomach acid can make it difficult to convert proteins into amino acids, so proteins pass through, giving rise to allergies. (Hypothyroidism Type 2 by Dr. Mark Starr, contribution by Dr. Jerry Tennant, page 274-276.)
The following anecdotal testimonies have not been reviewed by the FDA.
The products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat or cure disease.
Information shared on the HEO website is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice given by your trusted health care provider.
We believe that essential oils are provided by the Lord to support our health and well-being.
The Lord is our wisdom, protector and healer.
(Genesis 1:29-30, Ezekiel 47:12)
1. I experienced acid reflux for years before I heard about using essential oils and drinking more water. I used a drop of Lemon in a glass of water, and after about ½ an hour, it went away. From then on, with each use, it went away faster and faster. I think the key is to drink more water. - Tammy
2. You can’t say enough about drinking more water. This definitely works!
3. I have only experienced this when pregnant, and this last pregnancy it was very bad. I decided to try your suggestion for drinking ½ my body weight in ounces of water daily. I also added a drop or two of Lemon to each glass, which makes the water more pleasant in my opinion. Tangerine is even better! Once I was consistent with this, all the acid “heartburn” disappeared.
4. Anything carbonated is going to make acid reflux worse. Carbonation shuts down the digestive enzymes among other things.
5. Denise wrote: Plague Defense works great to resolve my acid reflux issues. It dissolves excess mucous, attacks inflammation and dissolves and digests intestinal acids. My favorite protocol is:
1 cup water
1 TB Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
1 TB Raw Honey (local honey is best)
2 drops Plague Defense essential oil
6. I suffered from Acid Reflux for a few years and took medication every day to control it. I hated being on medication and was worried about potential side effects, so I decided to try Peppermint essential oil as a way to ease the symptoms. I added one drop of oil to a cup of hot water and found that after a few days of doing this, I didn't need to take my medication every day. I continued drinking this “tea” for about two weeks and have been off my medication now for over 7 months. I feel great, and am seeing more and more how simple it can be to deal with health issues with these beautiful, God-given essential oils.
7. I was troubled by acid reflux as a teenage and throughout my college days. I was “addicted” to Zantac, Rolaids and Pepto-Bismol. One day I met a lady who was shocked at how I popped the Rolaids all day long. She asked me if I’d be willing to try something different, and I said sure. She told me to put about 5-10 drops of Digestion Support essential oil blend in my hand and rub this onto my stomach where it ached. To my utter amazement, my pain and indigestion symptoms were gone in less than 10 minutes! Since then I have found that it’s even simpler to put a drop of Digestion Support on the back of my hand and lick it, which is a bit easier to do in public and when I’m on the go. Over the years I’ve made strides in taking an overall look at how I eat, how much I drink, the quality of the food and water I consume, the products I use on my skin and to clean my home, and I believe incorporating very simple changes in my lifestyle has paid huge dividends in my health.
8. I had problems with acid reflux for many years. I ate Tums and Rolaids like candy to help control the burning in my esophagus. Acid backed up into my esophagus and caused scar tissue to form, which made swallowing difficult. I was on anti-acid prescriptions for while, but didn’t care for the side-effects. I tried altering my diet, which helped a little, but I still ate Rolaids like candy. Then I heard about essential oils. The “cure” seemed too simple, but I told my well-meaning friend that I’d give it a try. I drank a glass of water first thing every morning with a few drops of Peppermint and Lemon in it. I didn’t take a Rolaid all day – didn’t feel a need to take one. This really grew on me, and now I try to drink this throughout the day. I’ve increased water intake and never have any acid issues to speak of. I feel great!
9. I wanted to tell you that I absolutely love the Digestion Support blend. I have had heartburn, reflux, bloating, etc for years. I have been taking Nexium, but I have recently noticed that it just isn't working as well. I've had severe issues with the heartburn and reflux in spite of the Nexium. In fact, I was having to take Tagament 1-2x a day on top of the Nexium. I ordered your Digestive Support and began taking it internally 4-6 drops per capsule x 2. My symptoms have disappeared, and I am hoping to be able to stop taking the Nexium soon. I don't know if I'm taking too much of the Digestive Support, but it hasn't seemed to bother me so far. I just wanted to let you know my success so far. - M.W.
10. My husband, has been on every medication available for acid reflux. He even had surgery to widen his esophagus and other remedies to no avail. He started putting a few drops of Digestion Support in a glass of water at night, and he no longer has problems with acid reflux! This stuff is amazing! He did it every night for a couple of weeks, and now he only does it about once a week as a maintenance/preventative measure. -L.W.
11. My husband has had GERD (bad for of acid reflux) for years. He was on a very expensive medication that was not covered by insurance. He is now 100% off of it due to using Digestion Support from Hopewell Essential Oils. He takes it at night before bed with water. He also has Keifer on hand if he has a bad flair up. I have been AMAZED at the difference!!! - Bekah
12. Digestion Support is a great blend. I love it! It helps so much that I have not had to take my Zantac since my first application. My MD told me to put 3 drops in a little bit of water and drink it. [HEO suggests that a drop on the tongue works as well.] I also apply it to my tummy when I can't drink it. Both methods work to alleviate gas and heartburn. - Susana F.
13. Keep in mind that reflux can often times be due to low acid verses too much acid, so it is important to find out which apples if you feel to treat for this. My third daughter was very sick! She started having crazy breathing at age 3 months old. She kept aspirating into her lungs, which the doctors said was due to acid relux. She ended up having a feeding tube placed to protect her airway. Her symptoms would randomly come and go. It was crazy! At one point I was fearful that the docs would say we were making her sick because she would be fine for two weeks and then flair again. It was a frustrating time! My husband and I felt all along that she was having food sensitivity issues. We reluctantly treated her with reflux meds. But, no improvement. To make a long story short, we finally found out through testing that she had non-acid reflux, so the meds were not helping. We also found out that she had many food sensitivities to dozens of different foods that I must have been ingesting, and her gut became "leaky". All of this chaos in her little body led to immune system disregulation issues. Once we treated and healed her gut with lots of probiotics, vitamin c, essential fatty acids, and topical zinc and took out all foods that she was sensitive to, her symptoms went away, and we were able to remove the feeding tube. We have had no issues with her breathing since. I believe that God will give you wisdom to know what is best. - S.M.
14. I was able to completely go off my prescription meds for reflux once I eliminated gluten. Whenever I accidentally eat gluten, the reflux returns. - Lori
15. Due to a birth defect, I have had acid reflux all of my life. Due to the reflux and aspiration it caused, I now have COPD. I nearly lived on OTC and prescription antacids for almost 50 years. They helped minimally. For the past few years, I've switched to using EO's. I've also learned that a swallow of lemon juice, most times, works immediately. When needed, I also apply Digestion Support I keep packets of lemon juice in my purse. I am so thankful to God for his natural remedies and WONDERFUL EO's. If we had known about the effectiveness of simple things like lemon juice and vinegar when I was growing up, I may not be dealing with COPD today. As far as the COPD goes, the Respiratory Relief and the Lung Healing have been a wonderful blessing. I have been able to minimize my need for supplemental oxygen. - Patty
16. We use Digestion Support for acid reflux, and it works very well. Gluten can cause acid reflux. I apply it to wherever it feels like the burning is... sometimes it's my tummy, sometimes it's around the belly button and sometimes when it's really bad, I do both and a drop on the tongue. You can put a few drops in a capsule and swallow it too. - Stacy
17. I have had severe acid reflux for years which has progressed to Barrett's esophagus. A few months ago I started using Digestion Support on the bottoms of my feet and on my stomach at night. I also put 3 drops of Lemon EO in every glass of water I drink. My symptoms are so much better that I don't even use my wedge pillow any more. It's so nice to sleep flat again! If I get lazy and stop putting Lemon EO in my water, my symptoms start to return. On the days where I failed to add Lemon EO to my water, I still drank the same amount of water (half my body weight in ounces). After reading on your site, I thought maybe just drinking that much water even without the Lemon would work, but it didn't. After a couple glasses with the Lemon EO added, no more reflux. And I've always avoided citrus things, so it seems very weird that the lemon helps. - Jennifer
18. For a baby with reflux: If the mother is nursing, she will need to work on healing her gut with a diet rich in nutrient-dense probiotic foods to pass their benefits on to the baby. A lot of reflux in very young breastfed infants can be from food allergies in the mother that stem from gut health. The first step for the mother can be to test for food allergies and remove them while working on healing the gut. Here's on PubMed study that tested cow's milk igG levels in mothers of colicky babies. - Erica Human Breast Milk Contains Bovine igG. Relationship to Infant Colic?
19. Thank You Hopewell Essential Oils!! Nausea and heartburn in the middle of the night…No Fun:( I have not experienced these symptoms in years, so not even thinking about my oils I tried an Alka-Seltzer, which usually did the trick, but this time it barely took the edge off. Then I grabbed my Digestion Support. To be honest, I was hesitant to use it because I thought the smell would make my nausea worse, and initially it did, but after a few minutes the smell became appealing to me and I went back for more, rubbing it on my stomach. Now I sit here in the early morning hours to spread the word…Digestion Support!! Woohoo..much better... - Melanie
Starr, Mark MD, Hypothyroidism Type 2, contribution by Dr. Jerry Tennant, page 274-276.