Adagio (əˈdäjō) Adagio is an Italian word meaning "at ease"
Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides), Lavender (Lavendula angustifolia), Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata), Frankincense (Boswelia frereana/carterii), Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea), Sweet Marjoram (Origanum majorana)
Children? Suitable for children over 2 years (Age restriction due to Ylang Ylang possibly causing skin sensitization issues).
Adagio essential oil blend may support, aid, ease, soothe, reduce, calm, relax, promote and/or maintain healthy function.
Mental Clarity, focus
Oppositional Defiance Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress (PTSD)
Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)
Tourettes Syndrome, tics
Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart.)
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil, unscented lotion or unscented cream and apply as desired morning and evening over the heart, on bottoms of feet or as desired. If the aroma is desirable, apply under the nose at bedtime. The blend is also helpful applied to the back of neck on either side of the spine. Repeat mid-day if necessary. Some report a sedative effect when applied to the insides of wrists and/or under the nose.
Consider using a roll-on applicator for ease of application of prediluted oil.
Some health care providers suggest using Adagio at 85% dilution (adding only 15% fractionated coconut oil) for their clients. Traditional dilution rate for daily use is 3% essential oil. HEO provides Adagio undiluted so the user can choose the dilution rate suitable for their personal needs.
See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart.
Moms have reported that for best results:
1. Use this blend consistently, at least twice daily (AM and PM) over the heart, on bottoms of feet and under the nose at bedtime (if the child is happy with the aroma).
2. Eliminate consumption of refined sugars (esp. high fructose corn syrup).
3. Eliminate any treats or foods containing red dyes and MSG.
4. Add an essential fatty acid supplement such as Green Pasture Fermented Butter/CLO Cinnamon Tingle, plus 50mg. of magnesium glycinate.
5. One customer highly recommends a super absorbable micronutrient brain supplement called EMPower Plus by TrueHope. She says it's very expensive, but it works.
Inhalation: Diffuse or use a personal Nasal Inhaler
Internal: There are no recommendations for internal use of Adagio.
Click here for more information about internal usage.
Specifically for tics, Anthony B. Sims, DDS is a dentist who makes an appliance that has helped eliminate/reduce tics. He has a YouTube video: Treatment of Tourette's. Call his office in Columbia, MD for information: 410-872-0872 (speak with Ms. Connie or Janice).
1. I have had some emotional trauma in my life now for several months. I've felt on the verge of emotional breakdown. I used Adagio for the first time last night, and it really calmed me down. I don't think it was all in my head either. I slept better than I have in months.
2. Adagio helps me focus. I love the aroma - it's very unique and I feel drawn to it and enjoy having it on. I apply to the back of my finger so I can get a whiff of it throughout the day.
3. I am a therapist and diffuse Adagio (without carrier oil) in my office. I have noticed a marked improvement in my therapy sessions, especially with ADD/ADHD clients. These children and adults are drawn to the blend.
4. Our daughter has severe developmental delays with some autistic-like tendencies. Before we began using Adagio, she had a very difficult time focusing, had a hard time calming down for bed time and any changes to our daily routine were extremely difficult for her. I saw some change when I began using Adagio as directed (1-2 drops at the base of neck, over the heart and on the feet), but then one day several drops ended up on my hand, and I did not wish to waste it. She was so vastly improved above the already improved condition that I began putting at least 10 drops on her spine and then 5-6 over her heart and on her feet. I do avoid putting it on the top of her head because it makes her head look greasy, but it's a good back-up option if she's having an extremely rough day. - Adrienne D.
5. I began using Adagio about six months ago when I was having a hard time falling asleep and I couldn't find my Peaceful. Adagio worked very well for my daughter but the Peaceful had had minimal effect. It's not that I think Adagio is stronger, but rather, it's a different blend and seems to target different issues. I love Adagio because it helps my mind to stop racing without me losing control of my thoughts, and I still have the ability to take every thought captive as the Bible commands. I am also able to care for my young children in the night without trouble. I wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. - Adrienne
6. My 4-year-old son has extreme tics, and his tics are so bad some days he can hardly focus because he's so busy clearing his throat and his face is twitching too much. Today marks day 3 of applying Adagio over his heart and day three of little to no tics!! Even his 6- and 7-year-old brothers are realizing that they haven't noticed him clearing his throat! My son, though only 4, remembers he needs it and is my "alarm clock" to reapply the oil! It makes me so excited to see him dancing around elated to not have these tics excessively any more! - Joy S.
7. I purchased Adagio for our son who has Tourette's. My husband, who suffers with severe Post Traumatic Stress from duty in Afganistan, has seen significant improvement in his daily anxiety and panic attacks. Nothing he has tried has helped him like Adagio has. So our family has been doubly blessed with Adagio. Our son is showing great improvement in every way, and his daddy is leading a more normal life. No words can adequately express our gratitude. - Jill
8. I have a 19-year-old daughter with Trisomy 18. She has severe developmental delays and some behavior problems, especially at school. I read about Adagio and began using it Monday. I did not tell the teachers I was doing anything differently, and all three days of school she has gotten the best notes home since the beginning of the year . . . I've tried other calming oils on her but this seems to have the best result of anything I've seen. My daughter's issue is lack of attention but also agressiveness when asked to do a task she doesn't want to do - more so at school. It seems like both of those have been MUCH better this week. I am sending some to school to have her favorite para (helper) apply mid-day. Again, today she came home kind of wound up and I rubbed a few drops on her neck/chest, and she is calm and happy as can be. A para in her class sent me a picture of her sitting still and working at a table (that's a RARE scene.) - Nanci
9. Our experiences with Adagio have been similar to previous testimonies. I'm so thankful for this blend. It has changed our lives and I'm not kidding or underestimating. - A.D.
10. My son has RAD (Reactive Attachment Disorder), ADHD (impulsive type), ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder), and dyslexia. He is a very bright boy, but the impulsivity is his worst enemy. We are not giving him medicine over the summer because we want him to start working on the self-control now that he is mentally at a stage where he can do so. He also has great difficulty calming down for bed time, and that is a big point of contention EVERY night. So, I purchased Adagio, Peaceful and Vetiver. I immediately put the Peaceful on the soles of his feet Saturday night. He didn't want to go to bed, but he did so and we had not a peep all night! Last night went good as well. Yesterday, I put the Adagio on him, just a few drops behind the ears and on the back of his neck. It was a super hot day here, and he does not do well with heat (due to a heart condition). He was not overanxious throughout the day. He was not attempting to draw me into arguments. He listened reasonably well with little correction. I believe I have already seen a difference. Time will tell, but I am praying this is a long-awaited answer to prayer for my son. Thank you for the work you do Linda!! - Elaine
UPDATE: He is still doing well today. He had a friend over that he tends to boss around, and there was none of that today. Because they went fishing/swimming in the stream, I reapplied the oil. He doesn't mind it. I explained how nice it would be if instead of taking a pill we only had to rub on a little oil. He likes that idea a lot better. He doesn't seem to be "crawling out of his skin" like he does when he doesn't take meds. (He’s currently only taking 15 mg Adderall XR). - Elaine
11. I had a sample of Adagio--which I used up in a week and felt mellow. It was amazing. My kids weren't always telling me I was "stressed out." I am eager to order more today. - Emily
12. I apply Adagio over my heart and it helps me feel balanced. - Stef
13. I've been using Peaceful and Adagio on my daughter who was diagnosed with ADHD in March. We agreed to put her on medication on a trial basis to help during school, which was not a great experience for us or her. We started using EO's about 6 weeks ago. After Bible Camp today while in the car, I was talking to my little one (she is 7 1/2) and asked how it was going. There are so many kids that it was kind of loud, music, singing, a ton going on - translation: A HUGE distraction factor for an ADHD child. She answered: "I didn't even notice I had ADHD Mommy. I think the oils help way more than the medicine ever did" !!!!! Praise The Lord, and thank you Linda for your direction. This has been a blessing truly. This is how we apply the oils: Peaceful in the morning is applied to soles of her feet, to insides of wrists, and ears and I have her take 3 deep sniffs. Adagio in the morning is applied to soles of the feet and over the heart. In the evening we apply it to the soles of her feet, over the heart and under the nose. - Kellee
14. Regular use of Adagio has definitely reduced the intensity of my child's Tourette's, ADHD and anxiety symptoms. People who have not been with us daily notice a dramatic difference in his behavior. - Lauren
15. Adagio is working for me regarding focus issues. - Stef
16. At the beginning of the year we started using Adagio on our 5-year-old to help with focus at Preschool (did not tell the teacher). Last week she told me: "He is like a different kid." BUT then she asked if we were using something on him because she pinpointed a smell that was causing her problems. Apparently she is very sensitive to smells. We went two days without the oil... yesterday she asked me to start using it again! - Breann
17. While making an order for myself and a friend, I noticed she ordered a sample of Adagio. I decided to add that to my part of the order. I just tried it about 45 minutes ago. It is my new favorite scented oil. I love the way it smells! And....it helped me to relax and focus on the tasks that I still had left for the evening. I mean REALLY relax and focus!! I am sooooo excited!!! I put some on my nose a few minutes ago, and now I am really sleepy. I have a hard time winding down at night and getting started in the morning. I just sort of wake up in the evenings and am ready to go! I have to get up very early every morning, so being wide open at night is not a good thing for me. I use Vitality in the mornings now and have seen some amazing results. Now, hopefully, I have found the nighttime solution. I will use this in addition to the Strength which helps A LOT! I like Peaceful too...but I gave mine away. I need to order more. I am ordering more Adagio in the morning! Praise God for His wonderful oils! - Cammy
18. I love Adagio as well! I recently ordered some and love the way it helps me to focus! It works almost as well as my adrenal medication without the negative side effects. Within 5 minutes of putting it on in the morning I am able to prioritize and get things done, where normally I have a hard time staying focused. - Brittany
19. I love a bunch of my essential oils, but I use Adagio daily on myself (3x a day) and on my daughters at night. I like to use it before AM Bible study and when I get frustrated. If I'm in a very sour mood, I will apply it to my forehead and temples and pray in the kitchen before facing the kids, puppy and world again. - Keri
20. I love Adagio! I got it for my daughter to help with her trouble sleeping, thinking that I never have trouble sleeping. Well, life piled up on me and now I'm dealing with some stressful things right now, so I decided to give it a go. Just before going to bed, I apply one drop (diluted) to my wrist and then rub my wrists together. In no time my brain and my muscles relax and I'm out, sleeping until morning when the dawn's light wakes me. I wake feeling refreshed and at peace. I dream during the nights and feel it's my brain's way of working things out for me. I am so thankful to have found Hopewell Oils too! - Tammy
21. After a weekend that included more trials than I care to list - my husband lay in bed wide awake at midnight saying he was spun up, stressed out and couldn't sleep. I had just applied the Adagio to his nose and behind his ear that was nearest me. He looked at me and asked: "What oil am I smelling?" I told him he was likely smelling the Vetiver in the blend. He said: "Oh," yawned and closed his eyes. He was asleep less than 10 minutes after I applied it. This morning he said: "That Adagio stuff is awesome." He was rested and ready to face the new day. My man gives the Adagio two thumbs up for a restful night's sleep. - Mary
22. I love Adagio! I only have a sample bottle but I intend to order a big one! - Cammy
23. I am on my second 15ml bottle of the Adagio- I keep giving it away. I had ordered 24 of those 10ml roll on applicators... I have given about 7 of them away with 2ml Adagio and 8ml carrier oil (Grapeseed or EVO) to friends. - Mary
24. I just got Adagio in my last order and I love it. I used it before a competition I was a bit keyed up about last week and I was as calm as a cucumber. Love Adagio! - Sally
25. My sons ask for Adagio every night. One of them said to me tonight, "Mom, you should put that on my feet before church since it calms me down." - Rachel
26. My son has ADHD and has good/bad days, and his teacher keeps a behavior chart. This month I used Adagio 2 weeks and his chart was perfect those weeks. I ran out of Adagio, and the following week I used Reddys Blend (DIY). His chart had good/bad days. I ordered Adagio and you mailed it out that day. This past week he had another perfect chart. I can't believe it!!!!! - Lisa
27. I purchased Adagio for my husband and daughter, and it seems to make both of them much more emotional and feeling "off." I did dilute it just to see how they would do on it. Both of them only used it a couple times/day for two days then stopped. Sarah's not on any medication, so that was strange that she had such a strong emotional reaction to the usage. - Carolyn
28. I put Adagio on my son's feet, especially on his big toes, before school every morning. He loves it and reminds me every time before he puts his socks on. Pleasant smell too! - Mitzi
29. Adagio is for focus, I think, but my daughter has been using it for anxiety. Smells really great. - Mary
30. My grandon has ADHD, and I've been applying Adagio for a few days. He begs me to apply it because he says it makes him feel better. - Susie
31.I ordered Adagio, Liberate, Mental Stimulation, and Strength. A close family member has suffered depression for most of his life. This year has been the worst with tons of manic episodes, uncontrolled emotions and general depression. We tried the Mental Stimulation last night on his feet, and he wasn't able to sleep, but he did rest more than he has all week! This morning he woke up and asked what oil to try. He put on Adagio and Liberate. I got a text a few hours later. He's hopeful! He knows that prayer and oils are helping. This is HUGE in our home. So thankful for this product, this company and those that share so others can know what to try. God is so good!!!!! - Kristi
32. I realize it's probably too soon to tell, but both my son and I have noticed a decrease in his tics after two applications of Adagio, and today was super stressful too! I can't wait to try a few more days and will most likely order the regular-sized Adagio. UPDATE a few days later: It's definitely decreasing the tics, and he even told me he "doesn't feel like doing them." When I told him how much the sample cost he said it should've cost more since it's so good. I appreciate the sample option and will be ordering more this weekend! - Elizabeth
33. This year, at our family Thanksgiving dinner, I got to watch my 11 year old enjoy his meal for the first time in 5 years. We always eat at noon, but in the past since my son was on his ADHD meds, he could never eat much during the day and would just pick at the food. I was probably the only person in the room that noticed the change, and I enjoyed every minute of it. We had taken him off his meds this summer because the HEOs worked so well. We have still had a rough time many days, but I feel like we are doing better with the EOs than with the meds overall, so I am confident that we made the right decision. We use Adagio during the day and Peaceful at night. I also found that Frankincense helps calm him down when he is over-excited. Last month I started rubbing Helichrysum, Lavender and Frankincense blend on his back at night and over time, I feel like that has helped too. I also have a friend who has lowered the dosage on her son's med and another friend who was able to avoid increasing a dosage when school started. I know every child is different and not everyone will see the same success, and it has taken an extreme amount of patience on my part, but I feel like we have turned a corner here, and for that I will always be thankful. Thanks Linda Sherman! - Mary Jane
34. My son has been using Adagio for several months, and his tics are less frequent. Thanks for your wonderful product. - Hoang
35. The Adagio has helped my son with neck and shoulder tics/twitches tremendously. (I've only had it a week.) I am so excited that I have found your company and products. - Jenn
36. Adagio completely stopped my son's tics. I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. - Angel
37. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul! I apply Peaceful blend, one drop, every morning to the nape of my son's neck. He is five and has autism but is more challenged with sensory issues. This blend/application routine has helped him calm his flapping and overall "business" to the point where he can participate in class. I also add Adagio to his big toe a few times a week. This seems to help him focus more and complete his work. We have almost completely eliminated processed foods from his diet and it makes a big difference as well. May God bless you and thank you again for sharing your experiences. (These are just a few of the blends we use daily. I have several others on hand in case needed!) - Mechelle
38. I have been using Adagio diluted in fractionated coconut oil on my son for 11 months now. I rub it on the back of his neck several times a day as needed. My son has severe ADHD and had been on a form of ritalin for 4 years. I had tried the oil to see if it would be of any additional help. The medication had been working fine, and we had no issues with it except that it killed his appetite during the day. I noticed an improvement within several days of adding Adagio, and within 10 days, I stepped him down and then completely cut off his medication because he was doing so well without it. That was in the summer so we didn't need to deal with school issues. We homeschool, and we still struggle with focus and with some social issues, however, overall, Adagio is working better than ritalin for us. A bonus is that he has gained over 10 pounds, which is a good thing since he was always very skinny. I also started giving him virgin coconut oil in his diet, and that has improved things as well. We use Peaceful and a blend I put together myself (Frankincense, Lavender and Helichrysum Blend). We call this blend "Decimal Oil" at our house because it helped us get though our math one day (we were doing decimals), and it helps me get through my periods when I use it on my belly (period... decimal -see the connection?). Thank you for such a wonderful product! I love your oils! - Leslie
39. My 10-month-old has been rolling around in my arms and fighting sleep for almost 90 minutes. She was soooooo tired but would not give up. I just put one drop of Adagio in a quarter sized dollop of FCO on her feet and she is out like a light. I wonder why I didn't try that an hour ago. Thanks, HEO, for the blessing of your oils. - Carissa
40. This oil is amazing! My son is 3 years old and has Tourettes, slight Autism and a sleep disorder. This oil has helped him so much! We have used the suggestions to change his diet, and soon we will be getting the suggested supplements as well. But so far, I'm so thankful to the Lord for showing me this website and for the people who make these oils!! - Mary
41. I just opened my first bottle of Adagio. Before I smelled it, I asked my six-year-old boy to give it a try. He had such a positive reaction to it. He absolutely loves the smell. I have a good feeling about this oil! Thanks Linda! He has never had such a positive response to an oil. - Susan
42. My seven-year-old son loves Adagio. He uses it almost every night at bedtime. - Bethany
43. I use Adagio to calm my churning thoughts at night when I have trouble sleeping. It works so well for me! - Tammy
44. We stayed with the family of our exchange student a few weeks ago (France). The mom told me one of their 5 children had some hyperactivity issues which the mother has been trying to resolve naturally to no avail. I told her she might want to try Adagio. They did have some essential oils and were very interested in my travel collection. I didn't want to be pushy, so the day I left I handed her my 1/2-filled bottle of Adagio and encouraged her to use this if she would like to but not to feel obligated. I also gave her a small clay necklace I had made and suggested she put a drop on the necklace for her daughter to wear the next week when school resumed. Yesterday I received an email in which the mother told me that her daughter was having much success over attention issues and hyperactivity since using the Adagio. She was so elated! I love that Hopewell Essential Oils has allowed me to help find some solutions for this sweet little girl and her lovely mother. - Sally
45. I ordered Adagio to help sleep issues for myself, and stress and anxiety issues for others I know. EVERYONE LOVES THIS BLEND! We use it diluted in a roller bottle mostly, but for those really difficult times when sleep is really evasive, we use it neat. We apply under the nose, at temples, between brows on forehead, at jaw joint, and back of head (all the "tension points" of the head). Works wonders to get back to sleep in the middle of the night too. Great for stress relief on the job too. Really love having natural remedies that are so effective! Thank you HEO family, and thank you LORD! - Kelley
46. I am AMAZED with the benefits of this Adagio. My husband has several health issues and today was an extremely bad day filled with pain and anxiety. His sleep pattern is normally fragmented with multiple awakenings, and tonight was even worse. I applied a drop of my sample Adagio on the soles of his feet, and I had him rub a drop between his palms and apply to his temples. I promise you that within 5 minutes he was sleeping peacefully. That was an hour ago and he is still resting comfortably. I'm ordering a larger size right now and will never be without it in the future. Simply AMAZING - just like our awesome God! Thank you HEO. - Rhonda
47. I use Adagio almost every day for stress! Plus I love the aroma. - Anita
48. I use Adagio at 10% in fractionated coconut oil. I LOVE it and use it daily! I use Adagio plus a couple drops of sweet Orange in fractionated coconut oil (10% total dilution) in a roller ball. It helps several of our family members with focus and mild anxiety, including me. I don't know that there's a treatment-purpose for adding the orange, but it's a brightened and preferred "scent" to our family members, over the Adagio alone. We roll a quick swipe at the temples and move on with the day. HTH! - Becky
49. My daughter was diagnosed with RAD (Reactive Airway Disease) at 4 weeks old after swallowing fluid at birth and never being able to get the fluid out on her own. Because of this, her lungs would frequently collapse and she has spent most of her life in and out of Children's Hospital. She was never able to properly build her immune system because her lungs are so weak, and the doctors had finally decided about a year ago to try putting her on Singulair as a maintenance medication, since nothing else was working. Before this medication, she was the most calm child, with a "go with the flow" attitude about everything and was extremely lovable and sweet. About a month after starting the medication I noticed she started to get agitated really easy, and the doctors had said that it was normal because her body was just adjusting to the new medication, but it would pass. The agitation soon turned into outright defiance, and angry outbursts. The doctors then said it was just her going through a toddler "phase" (she's 3.5 now). Soon after, she started trying to hurt her older sisters, and at dinner time one evening she threw a knife (thank God nobody was hit or hurt, but it scared me to death). I put all my knives in my bedroom, which I now keep locked, as she throws everything she can get her hands on. This isn't a "phase;" this is something seriously wrong! After reaching out to Linda at Hopewell about my concerns and the things going on, she suggested I consider trying Adagio or Christofori to help calm her down. She also sent me some information about Singulair that I wish I had known a long time ago (it can actually change the chemical makeup in your child's brain). I reduced her dose of the Singulair, because it can cause withdrawal symptoms (something else I recently learned) and had her smell the 2 oils the first day they arrived. I noticed immediately that the 2 oils had a calming effect on her, and when she was having an angry outburst, just smelling the two oils together, calmed her down substantially. I was so overjoyed I wanted to cry, as I had tried everything to calm her during one of her fits, and I've never seen anything calm her this way! So I mixed the oils separately in roll-on applicators and tried them separately on her. I noticed they were helping a little bit, but when I put the two together and applied them on the back of her neck and over her heart (diluted), she would go an entire day without a outburst, or trying to hurt her sisters! It's literally like my prayers have been answered and I have my little girl back! It's so nice to see her play, run around and have something not go her way and see her stop and think it through instead of immediately reacting in a violent way. Thank you Linda (HEO), for your help has literally brought peace back into our home! - Stacey
Tisserand/Young suggest that one avoid using Ylang Ylang on a child under 2 years of age due to risk of skin sensitization issues.
Avoid contact with the eyes and other sensitive areas. Essential oils are both lipophilic and hydrophobic. Lipophilic means they are attracted to fat—like the membranes of your eyes and skin. They are also hydrophobic, meaning they do not like water. Flushing with water will only send the essential oil back to the eye's membranes. Applying a carrier oil will create another fat for the essential oil to be attracted to other than the membranes of the eyes or skin. We’ve not known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your health care provider.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2nd Edition 2014, pages 476-477.