From Essential Oil Desk Reference
During an asthma attack, the bronchials (air tubes) in the lungs become swollen and clogged with a thick, sticky mucus. The muscles of the air tubes will also begin to constrict or tighten. This results in very difficult or labored breathing. If an attack is severe, it can actually be life-threatening.
Many asthma attacks are triggered by an allergic reaction to pollen, skin particles, dandruff, cat or dog dander, dust mites, and foods such as eggs, milk, flavorings, dyes and preservatives. Asthma can also be triggered by respiratory infection, exercise, stress and psychological factors.
Robert Tisserand wrote in regard to asthama: "Although perfumes have been known to exacerbate asthma, this has never been recorded for an essential oil. However, antedotal accounts suggest that individuals with asthma may find that certain essential oils trigger an attack." (Safety Guidelines - Tisserand Institute 2016)
• Lavender with Roman chamomile, Eucalyptus, Myrtle, Peppermint, Frankincense, Marjoram or Rose
• Frankincense with Ravensara, Cypress, Silver Fir, Spruce, Pine, Lemon, Thyme, Rosemary CT cineol, Eucalyptus, Helichrysum, Birch or Myrtle
• Rosemary CT cineol with Ravensara, Eucalyptus Radiata, Lemon or Juniper
• Sage with Lavender, Myrrh, Hyssop or Eucalyptus
• Lavender or Roman Chamomile with Cleansing, Digestion Support, Purify, or Plague Defense
• Frankincense (single oil) with Respiratory Relief, Lung Healing, or Mountain Top
• Rosemary (single oil) with Respiratory Relief or Lung Healing
One simple thing to try is a few pinches of Celtic Sea Salt in water. Salt is a natural antihistamine and can clear the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, especially those suffering from asthma and cystic fibrosis. (The Grain and Salt Society is one source for this salt: http://www.celticseasalt.com/) Stay away from foods that are known mucus producers such as: dairy, chocolate and gluten.
Studies Suggest an Acetaminophen-Asthma Link
Antibiotics Cause Asthma in Kids - Douglas Report
British researchers studied more than 1,000 kids and found that those who were exposed to antibiotics early in life had DOUBLE the risk of developing asthma. That’s because antibiotics can disrupt the development of your child’s immune system, and it could leave him battling allergies the rest of his life.
Magnesium and Asthma by Dr. Sircus
Smelling Citrus Oils Prevents Asthma in Rats
By Alison McCook
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A key ingredient in the aroma from citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons appears to protect rats from the symptoms of asthma, new research shows.
Study author Dr. Ehud Keinan explained that the citrus ingredient is called limonene, and it likely protects against asthma by "burning" inhaled ozone, which can increase inflammation in the lungs.
Other scents - such as those emitted from pine trees, geraniums and roses - contain similar ingredients to limonene, Keinan said, which may help explain why asthma is much more common in urban areas that lack vegetation.
"In rural populations, people are very much exposed to these compounds," he said.
The researcher, who is based at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology in Israel, told Reuters Health that squeezing an orange peel releases liquid that contains a high concentration of limonene. He said he has heard stories of people who say they experienced relief from asthma and other lung diseases after spending time around limonene.
He added that he and his colleagues, who report their current findings in the journal Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, are currently investigating how limonene and similar substances may help alleviate asthma in humans.
A growing body of research suggests that ozone, which is a key component of air pollution, can encourage changes in the body that result in persistent inflammation in the airways.
Limonene helps rid the body of ozone because it reacts with ozone, muting its toxic effects, Keinan explained.
To investigate whether limonene could protect lungs from asthma, Keinan and his team induced the symptoms of asthma in rats, them let them smell limonene or eucalyptol, the key ingredient in the odor of eucalyptus, which does not react with ozone.
The researchers checked the rats for asthma symptoms repeatedly over a period of 20 hours to five days. They found that only rats exposed to limonene "didn't show any symptoms of the disease," Keinan said.
These results suggest that inhaling limonene may protect people from developing asthma, or alleviate symptoms in those already diagnosed, he noted.
SOURCE: Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, December 8, 2004.
Household Chemical Products Linked to Asthma
LONDON (AFP) - Ordinary household products like bleach, carpet cleaners and paint strippers can cause asthma in children.
A study which followed more than 7,000 children since birth found that wheezing and asthma were linked to the cleaning products and other chemicals found in the home.
The study conducted by University of Bristol researchers found that children from the top 10 percent of families using chemicals most frequently were twice as likely to suffer wheezing problems as those from families which used the products the least.
Pregnant women asked by researchers to describe their most commonly used chemical products listed: disinfectant, bleach, carpet cleaner, window cleaner, dry cleaning fluid, aerosols, turpentine or "white spirit", air fresheners, paint stripper, paint or varnish and pesticides or insecticides.
The exact chemicals involved in the study were not identified, however. British spending on household cleaning products has increased by some 60 percent since 1994, according to official statistics.
"These findings suggest that children whose mothers made frequent use of chemical-based domestic products during pregnancy were more likely to wheeze persistently throughout early childhood, independent of many other factors," the study's author, Andrea Sherriff, said.
"We are seeing what appear to be effects on lung function, either while the baby is still in the womb or after birth," Sherriff said.
She said the results matched other US and European studies which have demonstrated an increased risk of asthma in people working as cleaners.
The study, which used information from 7,019 families involved in the University of Bristol's Children of the 90s project, was published Thursday in the journal Thorax.
1. We have great results diffusing PURIFY for asthma.
2. My son had asthma and was on medication with steroid backup for severe episodes. When I first learned about essential oils, I read lots of testimonies where people used Raindrop massage with incredible results, so I decided to try this on my son who was 2 years old at the time. I used the Raindrop oils but in very small amounts. My son just relaxed and took a long nap following the massage. I found that when I used PEPPERMINT at the first sign of breathing difficulties we can avoid attacks. (Not too much: just a smidgen on my finger applied to his tongue. I asked him to hold his tongue to the roof of his mouth and inhale deeply. And/or I mix with a carrier oil and massage on his back and chest.) I do a Raindrop once a week and he is no longer on any medications.
3. We eliminated asthma in both myself and my daughter by first identifying and eliminating the "triggers" such as: dairy, chemicals, mold/mildew, pet dander. Next we consciously eat more "real" food and plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Drink plenty of water (1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily). I dilute CLEANSING and PEPPERMINT for when coughing fits get going. I apply this blend all over the chest, back, tops and bottoms of feet. A drop of Peppermint in raw honey with about a teaspoon of water will usually stop a cough right away.
4. Bronchitis and respiratory infections plagued my daughter who found some relief in inhalers until we discovered the healing power in essential oils. Now, at the first sign of respiratory distress, we use RESPIRATORY RELIEF, LUNG HEALING, HYSSOP and MYRRH. We apply these oils as follows: Respiratory to the front of her chest, Lung Healing on her back and both Hyssop and Myrrh to the bottoms of her feet many times during the day, and we diffuse Respiratory Relief in her room at night. Every time the issue resolved within one or two days, and the occurrences became less and less frequent. It has now been a couple of years since she has shown any sign of a problem.
5. My doctor told me that I was the worst asthmatic patient he had. When my wife heard about using essential oils, she purchased RESPIRATORY RELIEF and CYPRESS and had me apply them to the lung area on my feet twice daily. (The lung area is between the two pads of the feet below the toes all the way to the arch.) I also like to put this on my chest before I go to bed. The Respiratory Relief opens up my breathing, and the Cypress is used to pull out any fluid. I have totally turned around my breathing issues, and my doctor is definitely impressed.
6. I found the following recipe, "HoneyAid" in a testimony for chronic bronchitis, coughing fits, the flu, colds and so on. It has helped our family a lot.
In a blender add fresh squeezed lemon, some raw honey, 2-4 fresh garlic cloves and 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger root. I add fresh aloe vera (not a necessity). I take a aloe leaf and scrape out about 2" of the gel. Don't use the skin. Blend this up with just enough water added to blend well, and within seconds of drinking this the coughing stops, even with chronic bronchitis.
If we don't catch this right in the beginning, we sometimes have to do this 3 times daily for 3-4 days, but usually by the fourth day the cough has disappeared and doesn't come back. This concoction kills the infection and annihilates all inflammation, not matter what the cause (lung infection, bronchitis, in joints due to parasites, peanut allergy, arteries or inflammation that shows up as rashes on skin).
7. I know the books say not to inhale essential oils during an asthma attack, but I disagree. The best thing I can do for myself is to inhale LAVENDER, which is a natural antihistamine. This alone will stop the attack and has helped me avoid many an emergency room visit. Afterwards, I drink PEPPERMINT in a glass (always use glass, not plastic) of water to assist in breathing.
8. My husband (in his twenties) had a heat stroke that left his adrenals shot. He was so weak that he could not lift a fork to feed himself. We had lots of help from our church community so I could help him. We got him on a strong nutritional program, but after several weeks, he was still extremely weak. A friend suggested we use a diffuser and FRANKINCENSE in his room continuously. We set it on a timer for 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. In less than 24 hours my husband was sitting on the couch "playing" with our two young children. The power of Frankincense was amazing. He was still very weak and had a long recovery ahead of him so we continued to run the diffuser with Frankincense for almost 2 months. We used at least 3 bottles of Frankincense at about $70/bottle, but it seemed a small price to pay for what we gained. I have suffered with allergies and asthma for many years. It kept me down a lot and confined to my home during certain times of the year. Well, during this time of diffusing Frankincense for my husband, I was totally cured of my allergies and asthma. I feel like a new person. I shared this with another friend who suffered terribly with asthma. Her bouts with asthma were so bad that she'd literally move with her six children to Arizona until the season passed. She decided to try putting a drop of Frankincense on the back of her hand and just breathing it in all through the day – and this worked for her, too. [Linda's comment: We have the highest grade of Frankincense available (it rates a 9 on a scale of 1-9) for a fraction of the price this lady paid for their Frankincense.]
9. I've benefited from inhalation of Inula and Khella, (Ammi Visnaga) right out of the bottle. Inula blocks the action of histamines, and Khella is an antispasmodic. It helps to clear deep bronchial congestion. Khella masks the output of the mast cells that line the respiratory mucosa, thereby blocking allergic reaction in the nasal mucosa and in the bronchial tubes. There is a mast-cell stabilizing drug called Cromolyn that acts as a bronchodialator and was originally derived from the Khellin plant.
10. I like to use a combination of PLAI with TARRAGON (or sometimes ROSEMARY) and CYPRESS for my asthma. It causes the attacks to greatly diminish in intensity. I believe there is a long-term benefit, because I've had far less attacks and less intense attacks since using this protocol.
11. We use LAVENDER to control allergies, and we use RESPIRATORY RELIEF for flare ups. For actual asthma attacks, we then use the big gun, LUNG HEALING. My son's 02 was *92* on the pulse oximeter (hospital bound numbers for us). I used Lung Healing as a suppository (3 drops EO in a capsule and filled the rest of the capsule with a carrier oil), his 02 was back up to *99*. - T.T
12. I have been using the LUNG HEALING on my little one, rubbing it on her chest, back and the bottoms of her feet. ("Tickle feet!" she says! She was very congested when I tried it and having a lot of trouble breathing through her nose as well as the coughing from the bronchial asthma. I could tell a difference in her breathing almost immediately. The oils are amazing. Truly a gift from the Lord! - S.W.
13. When my son who has asthma gets a croupy cough, he always ends up having to use his inhaler. WARROIR works REALLY, REALLY well for him doing the protocol that is on the website! Last time he caught something, he never even needed the inhaler because we got right on it with the Warrior. - Vicki C.
14. My 14-year-old son has had asthma since he was a baby. He took many rounds of antibiotics/steriods and other meds for his asthma when we lived in Florida. When we moved to the Northwest was a bit better, but he had severe breathing trouble when the weather changed from Summer to Winter, especially between Oct 1 and Jan 1. For several years we would end up in the ER over Thanksgiving because pets our visiting friends brought with them would set off an attack. In 2006 we began treatment with a chiropractor, and he has had considerable improvement and no trips to the ER since 2006. In Jan 2012 he was having some trouble and had to use the Albuterol inhaler a lot. Our family doctor wanted to put my son on a daily steroid pill and inhaler. I was very opposed to this, so I began searching out other alternatives, and I belive the Lord directed my search thru my friend when she suggested HEO's RESPIRATORY RELIEF. My son has been using this with great success. He keeps one of the nasal inhalers in his pocket at all times as well as the Albuterol for back up. We also have RR in a roll-on bottle with coconut oil to use if he gets a cold or a more serious attack. He is usually able to use the Respiratory Relief 1-2 times and not need to use the Albuterol at all. He took both the RR and Albuterol inhaler to summer camp in July and used the RR first whenever needed and only had to use the Albuterol 1 time for the week. He currently has gone 2 months with using the RR every night before bed and has only used the Albuterol inhaler 1 time in 2 months! I am thankful to God for showing us this product and helping my son to breathe easier and be healthier overall, and that we are not putting so many chemicals into his body. - Amy
15. I just wanted to let you know how much I love these oils! Fall is the hardest time of the year for my breathing. In late summer I typically start taking larger doses of medications to get prepared for the fall and still have issues with asthma. Since I was 8 years old, I've gone to the doctor every year and still have to use a nebulizer and two inhalers to get through the season. I have been using the diffuser at night and notice a big difference. I went on vacation in September and didn't bring the diffuser along and ended up having to use the inhalers. I ran out a couple of weeks ago and delayed re-ordering and started having trouble again. I was amazed at how quickly this last order got here and within a few days of using it I didn't have to use the inhalers anymore! It feels wonderful to be able to use something so simple and natural with such wonderful results. I feel much better using the oils than taking my inhaler, which has side effects including the 'sudden inability to breathe immediately after taking it.' On an asthma medication! I use the RESPIRATORY RELIEF in the diffuser overnight. I keep our bedroom door shut and turn it on for about 3-5 minutes every 20-25 minutes. I keep the middle dial for pressure at the halfway point. That seems to be a good maintenance for me. If I am having difficulty breathing I have turned it on in the day and just sat right in front of it for 10 minutes using it almost like I would use my nebulizer machine. I was reading on your site about using it on your feet and lungs and back- I think I will try that too if needed. - Jody
16. I wanted to let you know that twice today my son was having difficulties with asthma-type symptoms, and I put a drop of LUNG HEALING on his tongue. Both times it stopped the symptoms. Thank you so very much for sharing this piece of information with me. We are still praying for wisdom to discern what is causing these issues but we are so very thankful to the Lord for a way to help him when he is having a hard time. - RaShell
17. We have asthma issues in our family. We use LAVENDER to control allergies, RESPIRATORY RELIEF for flare ups and then the big gun LUNG HEALING for actual attacks. My son's 02 was *92* on the pulse oximeter (hospital-bound numbers for us) and within a half hour of Lung Healing in a suppository, he was back up to 99. (For the suppository we used 3 drops Lung Healing EO in a capsule and filled the rest of the capsule with a carrier oil) - T.T
18. I have used LUNG HEALING for about a year now to combat a vicious cycle of chronic bronchitis, severe allergies and asthma. I've had these issues since the early 90's and several times a year would get a cough that just wouldn't go away. A year ago I diffused RESPIRATORY RELIEF for about 2 months and started the Lung Healing (a drop or two on/under the tongue and inhale deeply) in lieu of an inhaler. Whenever I feel my allergies try to rear their ugly head or a cough tries to latch hold, I use the Lung Healing every hour until the problem subsides. I have used it as a suppository and feel it definitely has benefits, however, this is how it is working for me. - Sherri P. [HEO's comment: We don't advocate dropping oils directly into the mouth. While this has worked well for Sherri, it does have some risk. Essential oils may irritate tender mucus membranes and even cause burning. Consider a drop in a teaspoon of honey then taken by mouth, as adding honey helps to disperse the essential oil, lessening risk.]
19. I have changed the way we deal with our allergies and asthma over the last few years. My daughter very rarely has to use her inhaler now. We have a routine (about every 6 weeks) appointment with a chiropractor. I use the RESPIRATORY RELIEF lots. I rub it on her feet, diffuse it in her room and put it on her chest and nose when she is showing signs of allergies or a asthmatic cough. I use LUNG HEALING when she definitely has asthmatic symptoms. I rub it on her back and feet and alternate or diffuse Respiratory Relief then too. We have seen great results. She is off all OTC allergy meds now. Even this season has been terrible for seasonal allergies, and others have been suffering, but she has done well. She still has some food allergies but has come a long ways. - Staci G.
20. My son has asthma. We use LUNG HEALING. Sometimes if it is clearing the issue, I've applied FRANKINCENSE and PEPPERMINT to his chest and back and it really helped. - Tracy
21. EUCALYPTUS GLOBULUS helps with my asthma. I rub it on my chest area nightly and haven't had to use my rescue inhaler since I started a month ago. - Grace H.
22. Whenever I smell cigarettes or wood burning smoke from outdoor fire pits I start to have my asthma flare up. I found by the grace of God that all I have to do to stop it is breathe inhale PEPPERMINT and LEMON oils. I sit and calmly and slowly inhale from the bottles 3 or so times from one then the other. It brings almost immediate relief, and I can feel the spasms subside. - Kim
23. I have a friend who has severe asthma. He asked me if there was anything that might help him. I read that CLARY SAGE is a broncho dialator, so I let him sniff the uncapped bottle, and it helped immediately. He bought Lung Healing and asked me to make him and others in his family Clary Sage inhalers, and he says he has not used his rescue inhalers since starting with the oils. Previously he was using the Rx steroids inhalers multiple times a day. He started out using the LUNG HEALING a time or two a day and the Clary Sage inhalers as needed. Now he doesn't have to use either of them often. - Patty N.
24. I have been using FRANKINCENSE in the roller bottle diluted with coconut oil. I apply it to the inside of my thighs, and I have noticed a big difference. I had allergies and asthma as a child that I outgrew, but about a year and a half ago I got really sick with a high fever, and it took a long time for me to get over it. Since that time I have been having asthma issues. I started using Lavender and Myrtle in the nasal inhaler, which really helped me after asthma symptoms started. But since I started with the Frankincense a few weeks ago, I have had no asthma problems! - Becky
25. My sister has had asthma her whole life. In her twenties it got to the point where she was at the ER a couple times because not even her inhalers were enough help during an attack. She decided to do a candida cleanse, and after a couple of months of cleansing, her asthma was "cured" 10+ years later, she runs miles at the gym and leads a completely active lifestyle with no inhalers or medications needed. Once, a couple of years ago, she noticed that her breathing was a bit more difficult, so she jumped back on the cleanse for a brief time, and it cleared it right back up. I'm not sure everyone's asthma is rooted in the same thing, but this worked for her! So just throwing it out in case it may be helpful. This was done prior to our becoming familiar with oils, so maybe there is a way to do a candida cleanse with oils, but I'm not familiar with it. She just used some supplements, along with strict dietary changes, to get rid of it. - Rebecca
26. The LUNG HEALING blend has been an everyday blessing for me (been using it for 3 months now). I do not have to take my allergy meds anymore, and I only take 1/4 of my asthma meds now. - Joy
27. My son has terrible allergies/asthma, and we started using RESPIRATORY RELIEF nightly, with coconut oil, on his back and chest. He is now off all meds and wasn't sick all winter long! If he is sniffling in the mornings, we rub it on his feet and he's good. - Angela
28. Two years ago I was given 2 asthma inhalers. One is a steroid for maintenance, and the other is Albuterol for immediate relief. I have not been able to put the inhalers down ever since. I researched and came upon your site, and the RESPIRATORY RELIEF caught my eye. I have been using Respiratory Relief for one week now with great results. The first night I put some on my chest, I did not have to use my inhaler at all, and I have not had to use my inhalers ever since. I'm so glad to be on something natural without the terrible side effects. This really does work for allergies/asthma !!!! Thank You! - Lisa
29. Our son has had wonderful results with RESPIRATORY RELIEF and ALIVE for his allergies/asthma. Such a blessing! - Danielle
30. RESPIRATORY RELIEF and LUNG HEALING are the blends I use for asthma. When I feel stuff coming on I use them on my throat, under my nose and around my ears. I don't even remember the last time I needed my rescue inhaler. It's been at least two years, and we live in Louisiana! We use local honey, also. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt. - Mary
31. Two of our boys have had allergies causing lots of miserable stuffy noses through the fall and spring. They also have had asthma after every cold or flu virus. Since I began diffusing 20 drops of LUNG HEALING in a diffuser next to their beds at night for the past 7 months, their allergies completely went away and they have hardly had any asthma at all! Only once or twice did they have a little bit of wheezing, and all I did was have them sit near the diffuser with a mix of RESPIRATORY RELIEF and Lung Healing, and the wheezing quickly went away! We are so thankful to the Lord that we have been able to avoid a lot of prescription medications for these little ones because of this! - Katy
32. Was using RESPIRATORY RELIEF for my plantar fasciitis, and it mostly cured my asthma! I was applying Respiratory Relief several times a day on both feet for pain, and I began to notice I wasn't wheezing much. I quit taking Singulair and Symbicort with no issues. I still take Albuterol before I exercise, along with a drop of Peppermint. But eliminating two expensive drugs, with all their side effects, is good news! - Mary Lou
33. I developed adult asthma about 5 years ago caused by an allergic reaction to mold and dust mites. My doctor has me on a controller, and I also have an Albuterol inhaler and nebulizer as needed. I thank God and your family for giving me some relief. I have been using RESPIRATORY RELIEF and LUNG HEALING for about a week now. I use them in a roller bottle. Both are mixed at about 20%. I used Olive oil for carrier oil for Lung Healing and Black Cumin oil as carrier for Respiratory Relief. I apply the oils on my thigh, abdomen and wrist several times a day. I have not had to use my rescue inhaler or nebulizer since I started this, when previously I had to use one of them at least once a day. During this week I have also developed a nasty cold, but it is not going into my lungs as it usually does. I will be ordering more oils to stop me from constantly getting sick. Thank you and thank God for you. I hope He blesses your family in many ways. - Ashleigh
34. My 4 year old has had some pretty scary asthma/breathing issues. He was only a few months old the first time it happened, and we were prescribed breathing treatments with a nebulizer. He hated the machine, and it didn't seem very effective. We now use LUNG HEALING when he has his attacks. You can instantly hear his airways opening up. It is truly amazing. I put a tiny bit of oil on his chest/stomach/feet, normally with a carrier oil, but in the midst of an asthma attack we have used it right from the bottle, and it does not seem to bother him. We diffuse it nightly, and his attacks now are almost non -xistent. I've also known people to rub a TINY bit on their finger then rub on the inside of their gums. I always keep a bottle in my diaper bag! - Sarah
35. I struggled a lot this past year with asthma and general respiratory issues. My story is long, but here is what I would share with you and others. Use the oils, for sure. I also had blood work done in the early spring for a general food panal to test food allergens. I was very surprised to discover that foods I was eating tested very high. I was upset to stop eating them, but when I did, wow!! I am not struggling with my breathing at all. I was allergic to eggs, dairy, almonds and pineapple. I was eating a clean diet but did not know these were hurting me. Just passing this along! I had lots of other tests done for lung function. It was serious. I am amazed that leaving these foods out changed things for me so very much! - Judy
36.I was recently diagnosed with reactive lung disease and bronchial spasms. I was prescribed an albuteral inhaler, which caused intolerable side effects: tremors over the entire body, weakness, racing heart, anxiety and panic. I stopped using it. On a weekend morning I had the worst asthma attack to date. When it got to the point that I became dizzy and felt faint, l thought I was going to have to use the inhaler to prevent a trip to thr ER, where they give you an even stronger version of the same thing. We have been using essential oils for 20+years and my husband asked if I had any eucalyptus. I had a trial size of EUCALPTUS GLOBULUS from Hopewell. I immediately rubbed it between my hands and inhaled it. Effects were instantaneous... my airways began to open and within a few minutes my breathing had returned to normal. No side effects whatsoever! It was miraculous! I only wish we had thought of it sooner! I was out of oil and explained my situation on the order I sent Sunday night. The wonderful ladies had my order ready by noon! Ladies, thank you so much! Your oils and your compassion are a blessing. - Sherril
37. Plague Defense usually wards off anything we catch, but this time with my son's asthma component, he hasn’t gotten better with normal things I do with Plague Defense. I added layering Frankincense, and there was improvement but not enough after 4 days. I ordered ALIVE blend. I applied it to his back, chest and feet (top under toes, bottom in middle of feet and under pads of toes.) Within minutes his peak flow went up 50 points and within 30 minutes another 40. - Dana