Back, Joints, Injury
Lumbago Bath and Massage Blend from The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness by Purchon/Cantele
10 parts Lavender
10 parts Ginger
5 drops Marjoram
5 drops Rosemary
Bath: Fill tub with water. In a non-reactive bowl, combine 1 tsp milk and 4-6 drops Lumbago blend. Add to tub and agitate to disperse the oil, then soak as long as desired.
Cool Compress: In a small, non-reactive bowl, combine 2 cups cool water and 12 drops Lumbago blend. Stir well to disperse the oils. Soak a cloth and wring out so that the cloth doesn't drip. Apply compress to affected area every 2 hours until pain subsides. Apply cold packs inbetween compresses.
Egoscue Method for lower back pain
1. I fell on ice one winter and suffered a soft tissue injury in my lower back and hip. Nothing I did helped with the pain until I tried PainX. It worked immediately, and after just a couple of applications, I was out of pain completely and hardly ever have to use it.
2. The pain in my neck is what initially introduced me to using essential oils. I had sought chiropractic and osteopathic help for over 20 years to try to get relief. After the birth of our last child I went to a new chiropractor who insisted on getting an x-ray of my neck. He said he'd never seen a neck in such bad condition on someone my age (I was 47 at the time). He said I had the neck of an 90-year-old woman. The muscles were very "angry," but due to the condition of the bones, he could not offer me an adjustment, thus no relief other than electrical stimulation for my muscles, which lasted about 1/2 hour after I left the office. A good friend of mine had started using essential oils and suggested a few for me to try. Peppermint was my favorite, and I carried it around in my pocket and used it liberally all throughout the day. I figured I'd have to live with the "damaged" neck for the rest of my life, but at least the Peppermint oil brought more relief and was far less expensive than the 3x/week chiropractor visits that seemed useless. After using the Peppermint oil like this for about six weeks, I realized that I didn't even think to use it anymore. I have full range of movement in my neck, and the "angry" muscles are "happy" again. The bulge that I had is gone. I feel like at least some of my problem may have been a toxic build up that the Peppermint "pulled" out of my system. In any case, I became "sold" on Peppermint oil. - Linda
3. I had seven discs that were pressing on my spinal cord due to an auto accident, and my neurosurgeon thought I’d need surgery in the future. This spurred me to do everything I could to improve my condition and try to allow my body to heal. I used a variety of oils for different reasons:
Cypress for inflammation
Muscle Relax for muscle spasms
Peppermint for pain
Pain-X for pain
Regeneration to help my body heal
4. I have read that degenerative disks can be caused by two things, inadequate water intake (body will rob the synovial fluid cushioning sac from the disks) and stretched out ligaments (they no longer hold the disks in place properly, resulting in the muscles tightening up on the nerves which may cause numbness/burning pain). Generally, the ligaments lose elasticity because of antibiotics usage, cortisone, and/or pain relievers such as ibuprofen or other so called non-steroidal anti-inflammatories. Poor nutrition/hydration is damaging to the ligaments as well. Accidents/injuries are also related to ligament loss of elasticity. Lemongrass is the oil to use for ligaments. Walking backwards twenty minutes daily supports the body in healing any herniated discs. It oxygenated the spine and rotates the pelvis in the opposite direction, and many say it really works! I have found this to be true and recommend it for my patients. Other essential oils to consider are: PainX, Helichrysum Blend, Douglas Fir and Arctic Ice.
5. I fractured my 4th lower lumbar in a car accident, had nerve damage in my neck and three bulging discs in the cervical and thoracic area of my back. I was in a lot of pain most of the time. I developed frequent migraines and struggled with fibromyalgia and numbness in my arms and hands due to the neck injury. My neurosurgeon suggested surgery when the nerve block injections in my back didn’t work, so I practically ran to my friend who had tried several times to get me to try her essential oils. She initially gave me Peppermint and Birch to try, and within a month, my pain was drastically reduced and migraines were gone. After six months, I had no pain at all. Now I exercise daily and make sure I drink plenty of water to keep my joints hydrated and working like they should.
6. My husband had a cracked vertebrae in his spine from too much cortisone, which he took for almost 20 years to help him breathe (asthma). Cortisone depletes the body of calcium, therefore, he suffered the cracked vertebrae. He used Strength, Lemongrass, Birch and Cypress to help with pain and in hopes of rebuilding the spine. We also did a lot of juicing. I learned that juicing zucchini will help mend bone faster than any calcium, so he drank a lot of zucchini juice mixed with V-8 juice to help make it more palatable. After 2 months, his doctor was very amazed when he looked at the X-ray which showed no crack.
7. Oh Bless the Lord!!! Let me tell you our testimony. My husband came home early because of the pain in his back. I have had to dress and undress him for two days. I bent down to take his shoe off and he screamed in pain at the way I lifted his leg. About ten minutes later I applied the Fire Power. I asked him if it burned and he said, "No." I went about doing my things and left him to rest. He came briskly walking in the room just a little over an hour later with a smile on his face and said, "It worked!!" We are both thankful and impressed. He still has some pain, but now he can get up and move around.
8. Completely out of the blue, I woke up with an extremely sore back. I am in good shape and had done nothing to precipitate it. I felt like it was most likely a bone/vertebrae issue, so I ordered both Pain-X and Regeneration. I applied Pain-X on the night of the 5th day of pain and felt 60% relief the next morning. I applied Pain-X for 2 more nights, and the days were improving, though the pain was still with me in the night when I turned over. Then the pain turned into feeling like someone had kicked my back; it felt bruised. I applied the Regeneration at bedtime and in the morning, and on the 2nd day the pain was hardly noticeable, plus it wasn't with me in the night anymore. The 13th day since I started having the pain (the 8th day of treatment) was when I really noticed that I wasn't thinking about the pain. I think the combination of the 2 remedies was crucial for me. -G.M.
9. I've been meaning to write and tell you how thankful I am that I ordered the Fire Power. My husband hurt his back badly while trying to unload a cast iron wood stove. He has a history of scoliosis, neck and back injuries, frequent slipped discs and so on. I was out-of-town when it happened, so it was the next morning before I was able to apply the Fire Power all up and down his back. I probably applied too much as he felt like his back was literally on fire, but it did not burn his skin. It believe it helped his back enough to avert the muscle spasms and locked-up back that crunches his vertebrae and slips his disc. I was so praying that wouldn't happen, because when he slips his disc, he literally can't move an inch without screaming in pain. He can't get up, can't sit, can't do anything, let alone work. Normally with an injury of this magnitude, the danger of a slipped disc would be huge. However, I think the oils really, really helped. I needed something really powerful, and I think Fire Power was certainly that! After the first application, he was paranoid about getting burned, so he only let me put it on every other day, and even so I cut it with a carrier oil. He is much better, though not quite healed yet. Considering that he would normally not be at this same stage until possibly 4+ weeks after a back injury, WITH medications and muscle relaxers, I am really thrilled that it has been only 1 WEEK. I am so thankful! - J.H.
10. I have been using PainX faithfully, and I too thought it was just going to mask the pain in my hip and lower back, but it did so much more. After a time, my pain was gone for months, even after heavy workouts. Unless, I do something to stress it, like too much taekwondo (I'm trying to get my black belt), then I do not have any pain at all. It's been like a miracle in a bottle. - Robin
11. I had lower back pain for well over 12 years, had a herniated disc and so on, but I wanted to get weaned off of anti-inflammatory meds, and the Pain Repair and Regeneration have been amazingly spectacular for me! I also used DMSO Gel. I did have to keep reapplying for it to keep working, but it certainly did work praise God! - Sheri O.
12. I have had thigh pain following my hip replacement since 2004. Limping has just become part of who I am. Xray last fall showed that it was a poorly healed stress fracture, and "live with the pain." Percocet has been taking the edge off but never giving me total relief. Trying oils was a step out of my comfort zone, but what did I have to lose? I mixed 40 drops each of Oregano, Peppermint and Birch in 60 drops of Emu oil. I have been totally pain FREE!! I had two people at church mention that I wasn't limping!! I apply it with a roll-on applicator directly at the source of pain every few hours. I could shout about these EO's from the rooftop; I am so delighted. I prayed for help with my pain, and the answer came from the Hopewell Essential Oils!! People, don't hesitate to try them! - Diane
13. I really appreciate how intuitive and user friendly your site is. It is truly a blessing. I and my daughter have had wonderful results with the oils we have ordered and used thus far. My daughter was in a serious car accident last February. She was 6 months pregnant at the time. She was hospitalized for the first 5 days after the accident and could not walk for the 3 days after the accident. She suffered a laceration on her spleen and a partial placental abruption from the impact of the airbag during the accident. She was also suffering from severe muscle spasms so the Dr. put her on Dilauded (morphine's big brother) for pain and muscle relaxants. When we brought her home from the hospital, we ordered the oils recommended for back injury (PainX, Muscle Relax, Cypress and Helichrysum), weighed the "risks" you noted on each detail page and applied appropriately. By using these oils, we were able to wean her off all prescription medications within 5 days. After 3 weeks of continued use, (along with continual prayer, massage, ice and heat, and a couple chiropractic visits) God healed her completely - including the partial placental abruption. Her OB said he had never seen a placental abruption be healed and was so confident/impressed with her healing that he took her off the "high risk" pregnancy list. The Chiropractor was also very impressed with the speed with which she healed from week to week. Thank you for all the hard work you have put into this site to make it so comprehensive and yet so easy to understand. It is such a blessing! - Debra
14. For over two years I've had bad low back pain, especially when bending over a lot, and sciatic nerve pain down both leg. I have been using Strength, Muscle Relax, and Sciatica. Now, it may be too soon to really know, but I have been hardly having any back pain and almost no sciatic pain for the past week or two! I dilute it, and put it on my low back once a day. Sometimes I will put Strength on my knees too. It's great! =) God Bless! - Brenda
15. Several months ago I had a nasty fall and landed on my shoulder on a cement floor. It was very painful for weeks! I finally tried Strength and Muscle Relax. I got immediate relief! The pain would return, but after applying these 2 blends on a daily basis, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, for about a week, I realized that I was completely healed. Truly was amazing. - Susan
16. I have been going to a chiropractor for years but still struggle with a little low back pain. Well, I just bought a house, so to save some money, I decided to stop going to the chiropractor (since it wasn't working all that great anyways). I've had great success applying Strength on my knees and Achilles tendons, so I started applying it on my spine, down my back, into my lower left bottom cheek. I didn't give it much thought until after the school carnival last night (from which I always come home w/ an aching back!) I noticed Wow! My back doesn't ache. I wondered why, and then I remembered I had been using Strength for the last 5 days since my last last chiropractor appointment! I'm so thankful for such quick relief and such an easy solution. God is good! - Ann Marie
17. I have a spine that has stenosis and a plethora of other stuff. The only results I have gotten has been chiropractor and acupuncture. I always had a 30% aching factor that was helped some by PainX. Praise the Lord! I just started using Regeneration and it is AMAZING!! Thank you Hopewell sooooooooo much.
18. I mixed equal amounts (3 drops each) of Solace and Valerian in my diffuser. I've been diagnosed with degenerative joint disease (DJD, that is, osteo arthritis.) Normally, I can't even sit up at 11 pm. With fibromyalgia, I've found it useful to use essential oils that calm the central nervous system (CNS.) May the good Lord guide you to the oils that work best for you. I'm praying for you if you're reading this! - Becca
19. Last night I tweaked my back, and this morning I could barely move without hurting. I put Pain-X with Copaiba on my back, and shortly afterwards most of the pain was gone. I cannot be more relieved! If you've never used Copaiba, it is a great magnifier of the oils you put with it! - Desiree
[HEO Recommends the ReachAll Bamboo Wand for areas that are difficult to reach.]
20. For back pain/pinced nerve, consider the Egoscue method. It can be done anywhere. We found this method along with oils to help reduce inflammation really helped. I mix Lavender and Spearmint for my neck and used Muscle Relax and Freedom for the lower back pain. - Serena
Purchon, Nerys; Cantele, Lora, Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness, 2014, page 182.