Clove (Eugenia caryophyllata), Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), Rosewood (Aniba roseadora), Niaouli (Melaleuca quinquenervia) and Oregano (Origanum vulgare)
Children? Not suitable. See Safety information below.
Pregnancy/Lactation? No suitable. See Safety information below.
The oils in this blend are top anti-bacterial oils. May support the immune system to fight any bacterial issue. May be supportive for Lyme disease, strep, tuberculosis, E.coli, pertussis (whooping cough) and CL disease in dairy goats.
Application Suggestions (see Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart)
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil and apply as desired or as a gentle back massage (with adequate dilution).
Inhalation: Directly inhale; Diffuse
Internal: The quality of the oils used in Top Gun are suitable for internal use within safe parameters, if such use is deemed appropriate. We feel that internal use is rarely *needed* and should only be used with respect for how concentrated the oils are. HEO does not advocate internal use of essential oils without appropriate knowledge and understanding of how to administer, for what purpose, how much, which essential oils, safety concerns and so on. In our experience, essential oils are generally more effective used topically with proper dilution or inhaled. Kurt Schnaubelt Ph.D. notes that "French aromatherapy literature contains many references to using oils orally." He goes on to note that "generally 1 drop is always enough when ingesting essential oils." A potential toxicity hazard could occur when untrained people use essential oils orally and ingest too much. Keep in mind that while medical doctors or health care practitioners may prescribe essential oils for internal use, they are trained and experienced in the safe application of essential oils. It is not a matter of using "French aromatherapy" or "British" methods, it's a matter of experience and appropriate application. Click here for more information about internal usage.
1. This blend was obviously helpful when our children came down with whooping cough. The first child had it in full swing when we got the oils going. We ordered Top Gun, Lung Healing and more Respiratory Relief. We applied Top Gun to the bottoms of the children's feet day and night. All the others, who were already fully engaged in the coughing fits by the time Top Gun arrived, had less "violent" cases and they recovered much faster than our first child. I'm confident that Top Gun made this big difference. - J.S.
2. My husband was highly skeptical of all these essential oils. Our eldest son came home from college for spring break, and as the pollen hit here, developed the “creeping crud,” which was soon passed to everyone else. It’s been working its way through my 10 kids for 3 weeks now. Some of us have gotten it very lightly between essential oils and good ol’ Umcka. But, my husband got it the worst because he was tired and run down, and Umcka makes him ill for some reason, so he can’t take that. Baby (8 months) was sick, too, but she was faring well with Top Gun and your Earache blend. One night I was rocking her, and she was very restless and had had two bad nights before. I treated her ears and put Top Gun on her feet, and she stopped coughing and slept like a log, as did I. My husband woke up in the middle of the night and had evidently been up most of the night coughing, but I had slept through it. He was fussing because he couldn’t sleep and didn’t want to take Robitussin because it makes him feel queasy, but he needed to stop coughing. I got to thinking that oddly the Top Gun had at least appeared to help the baby stop coughing and settle, so I suggested he try that. Ten minutes later he was out and slept the rest of the night peacefully. He was amazed, but not convinced yet. The same scenario happened the next night, but he was coughing even before getting into bed, so he put Top Gun on his feet, stopped coughing quickly and slept like a log. After a few rounds of this, he was totally convinced and even going around treating the hacking kids. And he’s now the one doing the website research to see what he wants to get. - M.B.
3. I have been using the Top Gun oil on a dairy goat that has Caseous Lymphadenitis disease (CL). CL is a chronic, contagious bacterial infection that lodges in the lymph nodes and creates abscesses. The Top Gun has caused one to completely go away (without bursting!) and has caused the others to shrink in size! I'm very excited at the results because this disease is very contagious, and this particular doe just kidded with twin doelings. I'm hoping to keep the kids CL free. I want to try the Lemon as well because of it's ability to cause lymphatic drainage. Will keep you posted on our success. - T.A.
4. I recently ordered the Bacterial Top Gun as part of an experiment with our goat herd. We have been struggling with a chronic, contagious bacterial infection called Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL) that is very contagious and usual advice is to put the animal down in order to contain the disease. While researching, I found a site that suggested that CL could be managed with formalin injections, ordered some and was not happy with the result or the poison sign on the bottle! A friend suggested I try the essential oils, and Top Gun seemed the best fit. I am injecting 1ml every couple days (it is a local infection, creates a bubble of pus in one location), and so far I am seeing results (yay!) It is slow but seems to be working at the injection site. If I inject in the top of the pus bubble, it is toughening and shrinking, but the bottom of the bubble is still soft and swollen. All this to say, I need lots of oil and am wondering if there is a way to be able to get larger quantities through you. I went through that bottle in a couple weeks and treated only a small number of goats that are needing to be treated. - V.D.
5. For our children with the whooping cough, I found that diffusing Respiratory Relief and applying the same to the chest and back help tremendously. I applied Top Gun (anti-bacterial blend) to the bottoms of feet every few hours alternating now and then with Warrior. Lung Healing as a suppository seemed to help, too. I kept water with lemon added nearby so the children could sip it; they must not get dehydrated, and the Lemon helped cut the mucus. For a very small child, I found it helpful to have a soft, terry cloth (like a baby wash cloth) handy. I’d put this cloth over my index finger and sweep my finger through her mouth at the end of the coughing to “grab” the mucus and get it out! Otherwise, I had the feeling that she was gagging on the mucus – this simple procedure brought quicker relief.
6. My son in college got a huge cactus thorn in his foot over Thanksgiving. It's been there all this time and been bugging him. Yesterday it suddenly got very inflamed and painful. It must have been bad because he doesn't see a doctor unless he's dying. The doctor chewed him out for not seeing a specialist all this time for such a huge thorn and for waiting until it was so bad. In the meantime, I sent him back to his apartment and told him to coat the area (it's a closed wound now) with essential oils, to put the oil on some bandaids, cover it and go to work that way. He used Top Gun. Today he went to the specialist - in 24 hours, all the swelling and signs of infection and pain are gone. Praise God! The specialist wanted to know what he had done and ended up researching it on your site. He didn't charge him for the visit. I was impressed with the doctor. It is fascinating that the Top Gun knocked out an internal infection like that so quickly. Doesn't surprise me too much anymore. I advised my son to keep it up for several days to help it heal faster long term. - Mimi
7. So grateful for Top Gun! My daughters and I got strep
in December and did the traditional route of antibiotics. Amoxicillian caused my oldest daughter to break out in a terrible rash that lasted a week. So, I invested in several antibiotic EO options. When my husband came down with strep this week, we started Top Gun right away on soles of his feet and gargling with Plague Defense, and he recovered quickly. He was back on his feet in 24 hours. I'm keeping him on it for the rest of the week, knowing that standard practice is a 10 day dose of antibiotics for strep. - Julie
8. I have been struggling with pregnancy (and post-pregnancy/hormonal) acne
--not terrible, just irritating, since I normally don't have an issue with acne. I have washed my face very well--several times a day-- then, wiped my face and neck with pure Witch Hazel Extract and, finally, I took a drop of Top Gun and rubbed it on the spots. It seems to help in less than 24 hours. - Christy
9. I became a diehard believer when EOs helped cleared up my strep throat
in 2 days. I was surprised myself! Found 5-6 white patches in my throat one afternoon, rubbed Top Gun on my feet and throat then and again before bed. Only had ONE white patch left when I awoke the next morning! I used Top Gun 3 times during that day, and by evening, I had no white patches and my sore throat was almost completely gone the following morning. - Nicki
10. We are now living in Nepal, and I want to encourage you all with a story! A native lady helps us with housework at our home. Her two-year-old daughter got the whooping cough,
and none of the medicine she received seemed to help her. I gave her our bottle of Top Gun diluted with olive oil and told her to put it on her daughter's feet a few times a day. She did, and she said the severity of her daughter's coughing fits greatly decreased. Within a few days, her symptoms were all but gone. Needless to say, they were extremely appreciative. As a result, I am ordering them a bottle this time. Blessings, Amanda
11. My husband had a nasty throat/cold/cough thing that lingered for several weeks. Finally, he was feeling better and then headache, pressure, green snot... sinus infection
! Okay, that's bacteria. I put some Top Gun in one of HEO's inhalers
. He used it every hour or two, and all signs of cold, cough and sinus issues were gone within 24 hours! Not a moment too soon:) - Amanda
12. This may be known, but I just found that Top Gun works great on spider bites
. Swollen ankle with a 4" round raised, red patch on Sunday, but Tuesday night it's barely visible. - Rebecca
13. Every so often my husband gets some sort of infection on his cheek area. I think the doctors said it's a lymph infection
of some sort. When it happens, he usually has to go to the doctor and get a shot and then take a steroid pack and maybe even oral antibiotics. Sunday afternoon his cheek/jaw line started to swell and it hurt to swallow. He did Plague Defense spray on his throat and put Top Gun on his cheek where it was swollen. He continued this Sunday evening and all day Monday (about 3ish times a day). Tuesday afternoon he was totally fine and is still fine now. No doctor visit. No shot. No steroids. So thankful for these amazing oils, Linda. Thank you for making them affordable to the average family!!!!!! God Bless you!!!!! - Kim
14. Bacteria Top Gun has worked wonders for me when I feel a sore throat
coming on. When I get them the pain is miserable all day for several days, but since using oils it only last a few days rather than a few weeks, and I don't need any doctor intervention. This time, I put a few drops on my throat of BTG the first day it began hurting, and then a few hours later it was totally and completely gone. I must say I was absolutely amazed. Yay BTG !!!! - Libby
15. I started getting a major sore throat
around 2 pm yesterday. Had chicken noodle soup and lots of celery. Put some oils on my chest and bottom of feet. Felt a little better, but still pain and used cough drops throughout the night. I woke up this morning with major throat pain still and accepted the fact that I’d be miserable all day at work. I decided to put the “Bacteria Top Gun” oil on the outside of my throat and in 10 minutes…ALL PAIN GONE! Oils usually need to be reapplied every so often, so I brought it to work so I wouldn’t need Dayquil and Halls all day. I am going on 10 years of Lyme and usually a sore throat would have me out of commission for the day. I can’t wait to see how this forces Lyme bacteria out of my body too. - AK
16. My son had strep throat last weekend, and I was so nervous that I’d catch it. Wednesday morning I woke up with a sore throat and thought I was done for. I took Plague Defense in a veggie cap in the morning, at noon and in the evening. I also rubbed diluted Bacteria Top Gun over my throat every 3 hours or so. I woke up Thursday with NO sore throat!! I am so thankful for Hopewell EO's! - Kristi
17. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve had the worst lung infection again, I am in my 11th day, and your lung blends Alive and Bacteria Top Gun have kept me alive. I stopped using the pharmaceutical drugs a long time ago because they have thinned my skin and lowered my immune system. The steroids have enlarged my heart. I have double lung disease, emphysema including COPD with some aspects of asthma attached, rendering my lung usage at less than 70%. I stopped the salbutamol and ipratropium in my nebulizer and instead have been using your lung oils with water, and sometimes saline mixed with it. Although I have probably coughed up 4 pint glasses of nastiness, I am not so painfully breathless today, and I walked down the stairs slowly for the first time in over a week. Thank you for your oils, they are a blessing to me and are keeping me alive, for how ever long. - Dawn
Oregano Contraindications (all routes): Pregnancy and nursing. Oregano is not on the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy (NAHA) avoid or use with caution list during pregnancy or nursing list.
Clove Drug interaction Caution (oral): anticoagulant medication, major surgery, peptic ulcer, hemophilia and other bleeding disorders (Tisserand p. 255). Tisserand notes that "since eugenol significantly inhibits human MAO-A (Tao et al 2005), oral doses of eugenol-rich essential oils may interact with pethidine, indirect sympathomimetics, MAOIs or SSRIs."
Oregano Oral Caution: Diabetic medication, anticoagulant medication, major surgery, peptic ulcer, hemophilia and other bleeding disorders.
Oregano Oral Lethal Dose for a Child: 21mls (Jane Buckle)
Clove Dermal Caution: Hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin, children under 2 years of age. Maximum dermal level: 0.5% (based on 96.9% eugenol content), which is 1 drop in 7 mLs of carrier (Tisserand/Young). Repeated use can result in contact sensitization. Skin test for sensitivity.
Oregano Dermal Caution: Oregano can cause irritation of skin and mucus membranes if not appropriately diluted. According to Tisserand/Young, maximum dermal use level is 1.1%.
From Essential Oil Safety by Tisserand/Young, page 254-256:
"There are three reports of non-fatal oral poisoning from clove oil, all in children. In 1991 a 7-month-old child was given one teaspoon of clove oil. Supportive care and gastric lavage were sufficient for total recovery following the resultant severe acidosis, CNS depression and urinary abnormalities (the presence of ketones in the urine). The second case involves a near fatal poisoning of the acetaminophen (paracetamol) type after ingestion of 5-10 ml of clove oil by a 2-year-old boy. Acidosis, deteriorating liver function, deep coma, generalized seizure and unrecordably low blood glucose were all noted. Heparin (an anticoagulant) was given due to the possible development of disseminated intravascular coagulation. The child was fully conscious by day six and eventually made a full recovery. In the final case, a 15-month-old boy developed fulminant hepatic failure after ingesting 10ml clove oil. . . . a 32-year-old woman, who self-injected an unknown quantity of clove oil intravenously, experienced acute respiratory distress due to pulmonary edema which had developed over one hour."
Avoid contact with the eyes and other sensitive areas. Essential oils are both lipophilic and hydrophobic. Lipophilic means they are attracted to fat—like the membranes of your eyes and skin. They are also hydrophobic, meaning they do not like water. Flushing with water will only send the essential oil back to the eye's membranes. Applying a carrier oil will create another fat for the essential oil to be attracted to other than the membranes of the eyes or skin. We’ve not known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your health care provider.
Buckle, Jane, Clinical Aromatherapy, 2nd Edition 2003, p.83.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2nd Edition 2014, pages 254-256, 375-376.