For minor burns/scalds, if possible, immerse the burn in cold water or Lavender hydrolat for about 10 minutes. Then apply the essential oils or carriers of your choice.
It is very important to keep the burned skin moist for the first few days (avoid letting it dry out). This will make a big difference in how well it heals. Skin Restore blend and Lavender are our top choices to assist the body to repair burns, but keep in mind that other essential oils (such as Helichrysum and Roman Chamomile) are also very good for skin regeneration. Raw Honey and Aloe Vera are good choices if you don't have the particular essential oils you need.
Essential Oils and carriers noted to help with minor burns.
Almond, sweet (carrier oil)
Aloe Vera (carrier)
Carrot Seed (carrier oil)
Emu (carrier oil)
Honey, raw manuka is best
Rosemary ct cineole
Skin Restore blend
Tamanu (carrier oil)
1. I had a terrible burn on my forearm from boiling wax. When I pealed off the wax, I also pealed off my skin. I applied Lavender often, which eased the pain and I trusted would help me avoid infection and speed healing. I later included Cleansing (for more infection protection) and Frankincense (to reduce scarring) in my protocol, applying these oils as often as I could for days. It took a few weeks to completely heal, and I only have a very small patch that looks like it will leave a scar.
2. I was adding a log to our wood-burning stove from the top, and bumped something which made the 500 degree lid fall shut on my arm. I raced to the kitchen sink to wash off the black soot, and then grabbed the bottle of Lavender and "drizzled" it over the wound, which was burning like crazy. I had my daughter run get the Skin Restore from my bathroom, and as soon as I sprayed that on, the burning eased off. Every time the burning returned, I reapplied the Skin Restore or Lavender. I applied it often for the first few days, and much less after that. The burn healed up with no scar, and the hair even grew back on my arm. These essential oils are great!
3. My husband had a third degree burn on his leg when his motorcycle fell over on his leg. His wound "weeped" for three weeks and kept scabbing over and then weeping some more. I didn't have Skin Restore, so I rotated these oils: Silver Fir, Helichrysum Substitute blend, Cleansing, Lavender, Purify and PEPPERMINT. We applied these oils several times daily and now can hardly tell where the burn was. That is incredible!!
4. Comfrey/Calendula Salve listed above works awesome on burns. I know a man who used it after he burned his hands last year. Within days his hands hardly showed where he had been burned. - Sheri
5. I was pouring boiling water into a small funnel and managed to slosh it onto 4 fingers on my left hand. Ouch! I made a spritz of water with 10 drops Lavender and 5 drops Frankincense in a glass spray bottle. I felt immediate relief, but it was still slightly painful, so I also applied an ice pack to provide relief, and I spritzed 2 more times that night. I went to sleep with no pain, no redness and awoke With NO redness/blisters/pain. Amazing!! - Heather
6. Normally I am very careful to apply sunscreen while on the beach, but for some reason this trip I failed to apply lip sunscreen and somehow missed applying enough sunscreen to the very sensitive area on my chest close to my underarms (right where the swimsuit straps begin). I ended up getting VERY burnt on my lips and at the armpit area where a sleeveless blouse or tank would rub. Needless to say, it was VERY painful! That evening I decided to mix some Lavender with my coconut oil and apply it to the burnt areas. I was astonished at what happened next. The pain immediately WENT AWAY!! (not just eased!!) That relief lasted about 4 hours, and then I had to reapply. Also a lot of the redness disappeared. I had no discomfort from the burn. I had packed only sleeveless blouses, which could have created extreme discomfort rubbing against the burned area. But as long as I kept the Lavender/Coconut oil applied, there was no pain. I am so very thankful to have discovered this remedy for sunburn. Also, the skin did not blister as normally would happen, although it did eventually peel. - April
7. I gave my mother-in-law some Lavender and Cleansing for a sore she had on her leg a few months ago. It worked well in healing her skin at the time. Yesterday she boiled some caramel sauce in the microwave, and when she took it out of the microwave, it spilled all over her hand. (Yes, I know, for the record, should anybody have a microwave ... but that's another topic.) It was extremely hot and it hurt badly, but she wanted to clean up the mess before treating it. She was convinced that it would blister and bleed since it was very painful. She remembered the Lavender and Cleansing and put it on her hand several times. Within two applications, she said it wasn't painful. The pain did wake her in the night though, so she put more on when it woke her. Today, she said she used it often. When she spoke to us this evening, she told us it wasn't even red. No blisters, no pain - we are all thrilled! - Robin
Purchon, Nerys; Cantele, Lora, Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness, 2014, page 192.
Worwood, Valerie Ann, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, New World Library, 2016.