Canker Sores / Mouth Ulcers
A canker sore is a painful, open sore in the mouth. Canker sores are white or yellow and surrounded by a bright red area. They tend to run in the family and are linked to immune system weakness. Many times sores occur after a mouth injury, dental work, aggressive tooth cleaning or biting the cheek. Canker sores can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, folic acid or Vitamin B-12), menstrual periods, hormonal changes, food allergies and so on.
Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis is the medical term given to an outbreak of canker sores. Canker sores (unlike cold sores) are not caused by a virus and therefore can not be passed from person to person. They do not appear outside of the mouth. Many health professionals, however, advise people with canker sores not to kiss. This is because bacteria from another person's mouth could potentially infect open canker sores.
A mouth ulcer that refuses to heal may be squamous cell carcinoma.
1. For me, the undisputed “King of anti-canker sores” is Melissa.
2. I had great success using undiluted Lavender on my occasional canker sores. I apply Lavender 2-3 times daily or more if I feel to.
3. My son cleared up a canker sore within 24 hours with Lavender. It was incredible, and sure has sold him on using these oils. By cleared up, I mean it started to seal over, which has always, when using prescription medication, taken 4 or more days. Wow!
4. My dentist suggested that I use Clove oil on my occasional canker sores. I apply it directly without dilution, and it numbs them. They heal within a day or two, whereas they used to last at least 4 or more days.
5. I get canker sores when I’m run down physically, and they usually last a good 10 days. I got one the other day and decided to try Plague Defense essential oil blend. I put a drop on my finger and applied it directly (undiluted) on the sore. I’d never believe this if it hadn’t happened to me, but that sore disappeared within ½ an hour.
6. I applied Clove essential oil directly on my canker sore several times the first day. The next day the pain was gone and the sore almost gone. I went ahead and applied the Clove a few more times the second day just to be sure it keep retreating, but it was basically gone by the second day. Yeah!
7. My son is very prone to canker sores, and he raves about Hopewell Plague Defense Mouthwash. He has had very few sores since he started using this consistently and they disappear before they completely form.
8. A little while ago, I noticed a canker sore on my tongue right before bedtime - I rubbed a drop of Plague Defense on it, and it had gone way down by morning! I think it was almost completely gone by that night, or for sure by the 2nd morning!. Wow. Then, my daughter had the same thing happen to her just two days ago! We did the same thing, and she woke up and was so excited, because she thought her canker sore was gone the next morning!!! Oh my! We're sold! :-) - M.H.
9. My 7-year-old had 3 canker sores, two on the corner of her mouth that didn't allow her to open her mouth very wide and one that started to form on the bottom near her two front teeth. The sores were so painful she was having trouble eating and sometimes drinking. I put Lavender (diluted) in an eye dropper and put a few drops on each sore after each meal (3 times a day). She'd keep the oil in her mouth as long as she could stand it then spit it out and rinsed with coconut oil. I was amazed at how quickly it has helped because so far, we hadn't been able to find anything to help with these sores. Typically her canker sores last two weeks or more, but within 3 days she was able to open her mouth. In 4 days, she looks significantly less swollen. We had been using some antiseptic liquid that made my daughter scream and cry anytime we even talked about it. When we started trying the Lavender oil, she didn't protest at all and even talked about how much better it was. The medicine trauma completely went away! - Bethany
10. My son suffers from canker sores whenever he gets sick, so we start on Lysine right away to try to prevent them in the first place. - Mary
11. Melissa has worked WONDERS for my canker sores when nothing else would work. It's completely worth the investment. - Sheri O.
12. I tried raw honey on my last canker sore, and it went away in 2 days. I applied it twice a day. The honey coated it and took the pain away plus it tastes good! Don't use honey on anyone under a year. - Susan
13. We put sodium ascorbate or crushed Vitamin C tablet right on canker sores. It stings at first, but you can feel it seal over and reduce the swelling and pain right away. - L.P.
14. I had a life long battle with canker sores. I tried L-lysine, but it didn't seem to help. What I discovered was that my toothpaste seemed to aggravate them. Sodium Laurel sulfate is in 95% of regular toothpastes--even natural ones. It's included to make the toothpaste foam, but it also wreaks havoc with the lining of your mouth. When under stress, my resistance wanes and the outbreaks worsen, but by switching to using Tooth Suds and the HEO Mouthwash has virtually eliminated mine. - Betty
15. I use Orange essential oil for my canker sores. I swish and spit, 2-3 times a day. This reduces my canker sores within a day and they are gone within two. I had a friend going through chemo and ended up with sores in her mouth, she used orange as well and had great success.
16. I have not tried essential oils for canker sores, but that's mainly because I have great success with homeopathic Nitric Acid. This works wonders very quickly! - B.Y.