Chemotherapy / Radiation / Anti-biotics
Chemotherapy / Radiation / Antibiotics
You'll see that Tisserand/Young take a very conservative approach while other well-respected aromatherapists in the healthcare field offer some suggestions for essential oil use during treatment. There are no scientific studies that we are aware of that prove one is right and another is wrong, so it will be up to the user to discern what they feel comfortable doing.
Tisserand/Young write in Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals: “Because of possible and unpredictable effects on immune mechanisms, we recommend that essential oils are avoided from one week before to one month following a course of chemotherapy or radiotherapy, and in patients undergoing organ or tissue transplants who are taking conventional immunomodulatory drugs.”
From The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy by Salvatore Battaglia, page 397: Using essential oils in massage (properly diluted) will not:
1) make the cancer grow due to incresed blood supply. While blood circulation is increased following a massage, this will not stimulate cancer growth. The tumor growth is dependent on many other factors than blood supply.
2) make the cancer spread. If the cancer is the type which has the tendency to spread, metastasize, then it will do so of its own accord. Massage will not increase or decrease metastasis.
3) interfere with the chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Both these treatments are far too powerful to be overridden by any effects of massage.
Patricia Davis writes in Aromatherapy: An A-Z: "A little-known but very valuable use of Niaouli is in conjunction with radiation therapy for cancer. A thin layer of Niaouli applied to the skin before each session of cobalt therapy gives some protection against burning of the skin and has been shown to reduce the severity of such burns. The tissue-stimulating properties probably help the burns to heal faster."
From Kurt Schnaubelt's, The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils:
"When Niaouli oil has not been applied from the beginning or when cutaneous lesions appear during radiation therapy in spite of applying it, applications of Everlasting Hydrosol [Helichrysum] or Lavender Hydrosol relieve the pain very quickly and improve the lesions within a few days. Applying essential oil of Patchouli, Cistus and Spike Lavender diluted in a vegetable oil speeds up healing."
Schnaubelt suggests a topical blend that consists of 5 ml sesame oil, 3 drops Helichrysum, and 2 drops Blue Tansy (Tanacetum annuum), which is about a 3% dilution. "This blend works as a first-aid remedy for painful sunburns or other situations where skin is actually damaged." This combination has been used in a water-based spray to ease the effects of radiation treatments.
Reduce Vomiting and Nausea (per Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D.)
Rosemary ct verbenone
Ingested at the rate of 2 drops each twice daily, beginning the day after chemotherapy for 3-4 days.
Comfort Care (per Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D.) to help drain eliminating organs and support immune response.(Schnaubelt does not give any information as to how much of each nor application suggestions.)
You may want to consider using Comfrey/Calendula salve - it's very soothing and healing. EOs can be added to it (as to dilute them if desired).
Essential Oils to Restore Taste and Regain Appetite (per Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D.)
These can be inhaled or used a drop daily to stimulate appetite.
Does Zinc Deficiency Affect our Taste Buds?
Could Zinc Deficiency Be Robbing You of Your Taste and Smell? by Steven Wright
A blend of Citrus bergamia [Bergamot] and Citrus aurantifolia [Lime] produces a mouth-watering aroma when used in a vaporizer before meals.
Other oils useful in this respect include Carum carvi [Caraway], Foeniculum vulgare [Fennel], Mentha spicata [Spearmint], Myristica fragrans [Nutmeg] and Zingiber officinale [Ginger]. A study using indirect inhalation and/ or topical application proved to be effective in promoting patients' appetites, often within 24 hours. Meals monitored by staff showed an increase of food intake from zero the first day to 25% by the third day, and up to 75% and more by the 10th day. These are measurable, effective outcomes without harmful side effects (O'Haynes 2010).
Cardamom shows a significant decrease in the lipid peroxidation level of the liver and increased glutathione levels. These findings indicate the potential of cardamom as a chemopreventive agent against two-stage cancer. PubMed Abstract: Chemopreventive Effects of Cardamom on Chemically Induced Skin Carcinogenesis
US Scientists Find That Chemotherapy Boosts Cancer Growth
The chemical death of cancer cells creates inflammation, which feeds cancer growth: Yet another study links chemotherapy to the SPREAD of cancer – NaturalNews.com
Grape Seed Extract Outperforms Chemo in Killing Advanced Cancer Cells
Chemotherapy Ineffective 97% of The Time
The End of Toxic Chemo and Radiation by Dr. Sircus
The Truth About Cancer by Ty Bollinger
Radiation Detox: How to Rebuild Your Health after Radiation Therapy by Dr. Veronique Desaulniers
Protocol for Gut Support During and After a Round of Antibiotics by Sarah, The Health Home Economist
Can essential oils & antibiotics be used together? by Robert Tisserand
Combination of essential oils and antibiotics reduce antibiotic resistance in plasmid-conferred multidrug resistant bacteria.
"The finding highlighted the potential of peppermint, cinnamon bark and lavender essential oils being as antibiotic resistance modifying agent. Reduced usage of antibiotics could be employed as a treatment strategy to decrease the adverse effects and possibly to reverse the beta-lactam antibiotic resistance."
1. I put Frankincense on the soles of my feet before my chemotherapy treatments and experienced none of the typical side effects (neuropathy, muscle aches and joint pain, flu-like symptoms). I used the Frankincense the day before, the morning of and for the week following the treatment. I'm a believer in Frankincense!
2. A few months ago I had a chemotherapy treatment which consisted of 3 doses of FEC and 3 doses of Taxotere. Typically this treatment causes the fingernails to become ugly looking and many fall completely, which is painful. During the time of my treatment, I rubbed one drop of Purify oil on my nails, twice a day. Instead of becoming ugly and falling off, they actually became much stronger and grew faster during that time then ever before.
3. I completed treatments for radiation and chemo with absolutely no side affects whatsoever for bladder cancer and T4 tumors, which are the most aggressive kind. Standard treatment for this kind of tumor is to remove the bladder and prostate. A month before the treatment I applied Frankincense, Immunition and Lemon undiluted one at a time on the bottoms of my feet and inside ankles to cover all my organ points. I added Frankincense and Lemon to my drinking water. I daily applied Sunshine by rubbing a drop on my finger and thumb and then rubbing it on each ear lobe and down the side of my neck over the arteries into the head. I also applied it under my nose so I could inhale it for a while, and then I'd reapply. - Randy
4. I just finished chemo for breast cancer. I had four Adriamycin-Cytoxin (AC) chemo treatments followed by four Taxol treatments. My neighbor introduced me to essential oils when I was almost finished with chemo, for my last treatment of Taxol, which has side effects such as muscle aches, join pain and neuropathy. You basically feel like you have a terrible case of the flu. For my last treatment, I put Frankincense on the soles of my feet the day before chemo, the morning of chemo and for four or five days after chemo. I had NO side effects from that Taxol treatment. Two days after chemo my friends couldn't believe I was feeling so good!
5. Digestion Support blend has been wonderful at combating nausea associated with chemo for my 2-year-old son. - Amy
6. I ordered the Neuropathy Spray for my 91-year-old mother who has peripheral neuropathy in her feet as a result of chemotherapy. For years now she rarely was able to sleep through the night without the searing pains in her feet. Praise God! On the second night of her applying the Neuropathy spray 3x day she is now without pain and sleeping. She did say she had some mild pain one night only. - Sally
7. We purchased Neuropathy Spray for my dad who has neuropathy due to chemo. His bottle was about empty, and he asked me to order two more bottles! - Jill
8. This is what my health care provider suggested for me, and I was very happy with the results: Look into Iodine supplement, drink plenty of water and be sure to up your intake of antioxidants in the form of foods and supplements (such as Vitamin A, E, selenium, CoQ10 and germanium capsules). Antioxidants help clear the free radicals from the water and lipids in your body. I used Neroli (inhalation is best) and diffused Grapefruit.
Davis, Patricia, Aromatherapy: An A-Z, 2nd edition, Daniel Company Ltd, 2000.
Price, Shirley and Len, Aromatherapy for Health Professionals, Fourth Edition, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2012.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, 2111, pages 27, 52, 147, 179.
Schnaubelt, Kurt (2013-07-23), Medical Aromatherapy: Healing with Essential Oils, North Atlantic Books, Kindle Edition.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, (2014), Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, UK, Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2nd Edition, page 185.