Idaho Tansy (Tanecetum vulgare), Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata var. genuina) Marjoram (Origanum majorana), Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens), Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea), Elemi (Canarium luzonicum), Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), Birch (Betula lenta)
*Available with true Helichrysum, which replaces our Helichrysum Substitute blend in the original formula and elimiates these oils: Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea), Elemi (Canarium luzonicum), Roman Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), Birch (Betula lenta).
Circulation with true Helichrysum has: Cyrpress, Sweet Marjoram, Idaho Tansy, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum.
Children? Not suitable. Tisserand writes: Birch and Wintergreen should not be used on or given to children in any amount due to the risk of developing Reye's Syndrome.
Pregnancy/Breastfeeding? Not Suitable due to Idaho Tansy and Birch.
Medication/Health Condition Incompatibility: ADHD/ADD (topically and orally), Anticoagulant Medication (all routes), Childbirth (oral), Epilepsy (max. 6 drop orally and topically at 2.5%), Peptic Ulcer (all routes), Major Surgery (all routes)
Methyl salicylate (the key constituent of Sweet Birch and Wintergreen) inhibits platelet aggregation and exacerbates blood thinning.
Circulation essential oil blend may support, aid, ease, soothe, reduce, calm, relax, promote and/or maintain healthy function of the following:
Snake bite (see testimony #14)
Veins, spider, varicose
Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart.)
*See SAFETY information at the bottom of this page.
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil, unscented lotion or unscented cream and apply over the heart, on the lifeline of the hand, wrists, on the left arm above the elbow or on the arteries of the neck. It may help to apply this blend along the spine from the first to the fourth thoracic vertebrae, which correspond to the cardiopulmonary nerves. (These would be the vertebrae at your shoulder level.) Consider using a roll-on applicator for ease of application of prediluted oil. To use within safe parameters, dilute at 2% for topical use.
Inhalation: Diffuse or use a personal Nasal Inhaler
Internal: Circulation is suitable for internal use within safe parameters if such use is deemed appropriate. We feel that internal use is rarely *needed* and should only be used with respect for how concentrated the oils are. HEO does not advocate internal use of essential oils without appropriate knowledge and understanding of how to administer, for what purpose, how much, which essential oils, safety concerns and so on. In our experience, essential oils are generally more effective used topically with proper dilution or inhaled. Kurt Schnaubelt Ph.D. notes that "French aromatherapy literature contains many references to using oils orally." He goes on to note that "generally 1 drop is always enough when ingesting essential oils." A potential toxicity hazard could occur when untrained people use essential oils orally and ingest too much. Keep in mind that while medical doctors or health care practitioners may prescribe essential oils for internal use, they are trained and experienced in the safe application of essential oils. It is not a matter of using "French aromatherapy" or "British" methods, it's a matter of experience and appropriate application. Circulation blend with Helichrysum Substitute Blend has Idaho Tansy, and Tisserand/Young suggest that if one were to take orally, it should be limited to 1/2 drop daily.
Click here for more information about internal usage.
1. My blood pressure shot up dangerously high after my last birth. I took this blend along with Lavender and was able to not only bring the blood pressure down, but I was able to manage it as well. I’m very impressed with this blend! – Marilyn
2. I suffer from congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. My friend suggested that I try this blend by just putting a few drops on my fingertips and rubbing them over my heart. I felt relief almost instantly. I am able to manage my blood pressure very well now when I consistently use this blend. – Sally
3. I occasionally have heart pain that can build into numbing and tingling in my hands. By simply applying this blend over my heart, the whole heart episode diminishes quickly. –Linda
4. I have suffered from migraines and angina for many years. This blend is very helpful. – Joan
5. We have been applying Circulation to my father's legs. He has had cellulitis in each leg - one case in 1997 and the other case just this past summer. After just a few applications we can already see a difference in the skin color, which has gone from very dark to a more fleshy, healthy color. His legs already feel better as well, particularly just after the application. I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the LORD, the Giver of all good gifts and a heartfelt thanks to you as well, Linda, as His servant and instrument of healing here on earth. :) - J.P.
6. My husband has been using Circulation for his blood pressure. This morning, his numbers were high at 186/106. He applied Circulation over his heart, left foot, left hand and neck. Within 30 minutes, his numbers dropped to 167/92. He doesn't want to be without it. - Robin
7. Just so you know...This WORKS! My blood pressure unexpectedly went to 176/100 earlier tonight. It was then that my dear friend Dorothea reminded me to give these oils a try. Within MINUTES, my blood pressure was down to 131/66, and I had tried all kinds of other things but nothing else was bringing it down. I applied some Circulation over my heart, on my pulse points on my wrists and inner elbows, behind my knees, some Lavender on the palm of my left hand and rubbed it in good. Praise the Lord for His Great Provision! I will be ordering some more of this wonderful oil! - Nora
8. Circulation has actually been a go-to of mine for muscle spasms. It works well. - Becky
9. My stepmother uses Circulation on her leg since it doesn't work properly after a stroke she had last year. She said rubbing the oil directly on her leg helps a lot. - Stacy
10. I recently bought a sample of Circulation to try for my pre-hypertension. It is working better than the meds my doctor gave me, so I'm very pleased and will be ordering more oils soon. I use Circulation 2-3x per day, undiluted (tho' I was wondering if I was supposed to dilute it :-)). I apply it on locations recommended as well as on the bottom of my left foot. I quit using my blood pressure meds 2 weeks ago as a trial, and then I waited a few days and started Circulation. I monitor my blood pressure daily, and I'm very pleased at this point. My numbers aren't normal yet, but they are only a few points above normal, which is lower than they ever were with meds. - Jane
11. I tried applying Circulation neat on my mom, and she seemed to respond well to it (after we discovered her blood pressure was low that morning). We rechecked after an hour of Circulation application, and the blood pressure went up quite a bit into the normal range! Praise God! It was originally 98/58 and then rose to 115/65. Much better. :) - Carolyn
12. My daughter has tachycardia. After the doctor found nothing wrong with her heart, we eventually linked it back to a magnesium deficiency. Too much gluten in a meal can also trigger this. - Sheri
13. I have high blood pressure and am trying to get off my meds. I have used Circulation for a month now. I think it's working. I have been able to reduce my meds, but just when I think I can completely, it would raise up some. So it seems maybe the nightly rest matters as well. I am still nursing at night and have other little children that affect my nightly rest. Maybe I need to pay attention on what happens at night. Being tired may be the cause of those bad readings. - Anne
14. I called for suggestions and spoke with Linda about my son who had been bitten by a copperhead about three months ago. I wanted to report that his foot was completely healed after three weeks, which from what I hear is record time. I realize that it was a miracle that the Lord healed him so quickly, but I believe He also gave me the specific oils to use for my son to encourage his body to heal. For the first few days after he was bitten I mostly rotated Lavender and Pain X. I just used what I had on hand, and the oils worked wonderfully, but he really began to turn the corner when I received my bottle of Circulation and began using that in the rotation. Thank you for the prayers and suggestions. - Lisa
15. I diffuse Circulation at night and it has really helped my blood pressure. - Mitzi
16. On a whim one day my friend and I decided to test her blood pressure. Her systolic (top number of the BP reading) should have been approximately 120. Hers was 165! I don’t remember the diastolic number (bottom number). We decided to do an experiment. She applied diluted Circulation blend from a 10ml roll-on applicator over her heart and on the sides of her neck. After 15 minutes we checked her BP again. Her systolic number had dropped to 140! While this is still too high, the fact that it had dropped 25 degrees in 15 minutes was quite the testimony for the Circulation blend! - Sherri
17. I have been battling trying to get off my blood pressure meds after having pregnancy-induced hypertension. I know that to reduce this kind of medication, it has to be gradual weaning. My son is now 5 months old. I have been using Circulation blend for over 2 months now, diluted on my wrist and heart. I was able to reduce my meds in half, and then it came to a stagnant point. I ordered Marjoram essential oil, and I started using it since yesterday. My numbers are so good that I didn't take my medication yesterday, and this morning I cut my meds in half again (to a quarter dose), and it is reading very good. Marjoram smells so good. I dilute it with 5 ml coconut oil and 5 drops (5%) in a roller bottle and apply it every hour. I hope to get off my meds completely. - Anne
18. Circulation has helped my husband the most with vertigo. He tells everyone with vertigo to order it. I diluted it in a roller bottle and he carries it with him. He applies it all around his ear and we've put it on cotton and put it in his ear when it was bad. Also, he sleeps propped up with pillows. - Jennifer
19. I have had great success with Frankincense for high blood pressure and Pain X and Regeneration for back pain. I use the Frankincense topically, diluted 2:1 and apply it on the bottom of feet, over the heart, on the left wrist, on the sides of the neck on either side of the spine, behind the ears, and I also inhale from the bottle. I also use Lavender on the bottoms of feet, behind the ears and at the back of the neck, as well as Serenity behind the ears before bedtime. I have just recently added Adagio, using 1 drop on the wrist. Occasionally I will use Circulation over the heart and a bit on the bottom of feet. I have had great success with regulating blood pressure this way. Frankincense, Circulation and Lavender will lower blood pressure in minutes. I also use L-arginine and L-citrulline, amino acids, nitric oxide precursers, that work like blood pressure medication but without the side affects. Different amounts are required for each person. I love your oils! They are of superior quality and I recommend them to everyone. God bless you in your endeavors! Thank you for your prompt service. - Cindy Parker, BND, NBC Sclerologist
20. We were on vacation this past week, and I was having severe heart palpitation (arrhythmia) from pre-menopausal hormone fluctuations. (It wasn't stress because we were on vacation relaxing!) I keep other symptoms under control with Geranium and Vitality. I looked on the HEO website and saw that Ylang Ylang and Clary Sage were good for this problem (however I did not have them with me), but I did have Circulation, and it has both Ylang Ylang and Clary Sage in it, so I used it, and within minutes my heart slowed down and started beating at a regular pace! I didn't have any problems the whole rest of the trip and I could enjoy myself without feeling like my heart was going to beat out of my chest!! - Peggy
21. I have been using Circulation diluted with coconut oil on my legs. It has erased my spider veins and removed smaller varicose veins and made the buldging ones smaller. They are shrinking too. Thank you. - Marnie
22. I've been using diluted Circulation for tight muscles. I have to say, it works wonders, and I think that might be because it works well on inflammation. The other natural thing that's been working is 1/2 teaspoon ginger + 1/2 teaspoon turmeric in hot water (plus coconut milk and stevia if you like sweet/creamy tea). Together, I've been able to avoid all over-the-counter pain relievers! - Adriana
23. I have a bit of a fast heart rate, slightly high blood pressure as well as a pulse rate higher than it should be. I mixed Circulation with Almond oil (which is what I had on hand) about 50/50, which might be a bit stronger than recommended, but within one minute of placing it over my heart and pulse points, my pulse went from 130 to 99. My oxygen level went from 92 to 98! I don't have a blood pressure machine, but I feel so much better, I can't even tell you. Thank you again for being such a huge blessing to me! Most gratefully yours, Kimberli
24. At ages 75 and 65, my husband and I are sure glad to be counted among the new users of essential oils! As we try several oils on ourselves and family members, we are amazed. Larry started Hopewell's "Circulation" blend on May 9 after his feet and ankles had been swollen for 2 months. (Chemicals prescribed by a doctor had not worked at all. Larry had been so uncomfortable one night, he even took an Aleve to be able to sleep.) However, after we got the oils, after only 2 weeks of using Circulation, Larry's ankles were not swollen at all this morning! PTL! Circulation may have worked even faster if we had started out using it two or three times a day rather than only once at bedtime. We are from Missouri, the Show-Me state. - Donna
25. I've been literally addicted to diet sodas since I was a child. I had a tendency to be overweight, so diet 'anything' sounded like a winner for me. I'm 60+ years old now. I cannot go a day without my diet soda. I have chronic skin issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, occasional heart pain and am still terribly overweight. Circulation blend helps me cope, but long-term, I may never be able to reverse the damage I've done to my body with my 'addiction.' This article may help someone who was duped like I was: Diet Sodas May be Tied to Stroke, Dementia Risk. - Jo
Idaho Tansy: Tanacetum vulgare is not used in traditional aromatherapy because it can be toxic and neurotoxic. Tisserand notes that oral "doses above 15 to 20 drops are highly dangerous." There is a risk of convulsions with Idaho Tansy. To avoid risk and to use within safe parameters, limit adult oral use to 1/2 drop daily and dilute at 0.5% for topical use. When tested on animals, Tisserand reports that Idaho Tansy is slightly toxic orally and non-toxic with dermal use.
Idaho Tansy and Birch Contraindication All Routes: Pregnancy and breastfeeding. Birch contains salicylates, and may cause fetal malformations (Tisserand).
Children: Taking 4-10mL by mouth can be deadly. Tisserand writes: Birch and Wintergreen should not be used on or given to children in any amount due to the risk of developing Reye's Syndrome.
Undiluted Caution: use may cause skin irritations.
Oral Caution: Tisserand notes that the maximum adult daily oral dose is 182mg, which would be less than 0.2mL. Large amounts taken orally can cause ringing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, headache, stomach pain and confusion.
Birch Oral Cautions: ADHD/ADD (topically and orally), Anticoagulant Medication (all routes), Childbirth, Epilepsy (max 6 drop orally and topically at 2.5%), Peptic Ulcer (all routes), Major Surgery (all routes)
Methyl salicylate (the key constituent of Sweet Birch and Wintergreen) inhibits platelet aggregation and exacerbates blood thinning.
Robert Tisserand, aromatherapist and author of Essential Oil Safety, wrote about Wintergreen, but we include this information here because Birch is almost identical, chemically speaking, to Wintergreen: "In Europe, the ADI (‘acceptable daily intake’) for methyl salicylate is 0.5 mg/kg/day, which equates to about 1 drop of Wintergreen oil per adult per day. ADIs are primarily intended to cover the food industry. This regulation does not apply outside of Europe."
Avoid contact with the eyes and other sensitive areas. Essential oils are both lipophilic and hydrophobic. Lipophilic means they are attracted to fat— like the membranes of your eyes and skin. They are also hydrophobic, meaning they do not like water. Applying a carrier oil will create another fat for the essential oil to be attracted to other than the membranes of the eyes or skin. Tisserand suggests: "With essential oils, fatty oil has been suggested as an appropriate first aid treatment, though the advantage of saline [eyewash] is that the eyes can be continually flushed, and this is less easy with fatty oil.” We are not aware of a case where essential oil in the eyes caused permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your health care provider.
Battaglia, Salvatore, The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, 2002, page 324.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, 2011, page 132.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences UK 2nd Edition 2014, pages 215-216, 438.