Rosemary ct verbenone (Rosmarinus officinalis), Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), Clove Bud (Eugenia caryophyllata), Naiouli (Melaleuca quinquenervia), Spikenard (Nardostachys jatamansi)
Children? Do not apply on or near the face of children. Use with caution on children under 2 years of age due to potential skin irritation risk with Clove Bud oil.
Pregnancy/Breastfeeding? Suitable. Clove may inhibit blood clotting - use with discretion
Medication/Health Condition? Contraindicated orally: Anticoagulant, Diabetes, Diet drug (Ephedrine), Diuretic medication, Antibiotic incompatibility via all routes in significant amounts. Dr. Jean Valnet felt Niaouli “will increase the activity of streptomycin and, more especially, of penicillin;” Childbirth, Liver and Kidney disease (all routes), Major Surgery, Peptic Ulcer, Hemophilia
Cleansing is very powerful in the regeneration of damaged tissue and helps fight infection and fungus. It has antiseptic-like properties when used topically for cleansing cuts, scrapes, burns, rashes and bruised tissue. It may also help prevent growth of bacteria, fungus or infection.
Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart.)
Topically: Dilute with a carrier oil and apply on area of concern or as desired. Maximum topical dilution is 3%. Apply topically on areas where the skin is broken, including cuts, scrapes, burns, rashes and infection. Put 1 to 2 drops on a piece of cotton and place in the ear for earaches. (Never put essential oils directly into the ear canal.)
This works well in a roll-on applicator with the carrier oil of your choice.
Inhalation: Diffuse to dispel odors.
Internal: Cleansing is suitable for internal use within safe parameters if such use is deemed appropriate. We feel that internal use is rarely *needed* and should only be used with respect for how concentrated the oils are. HEO does not advocate internal use of essential oils without appropriate knowledge and understanding of how to administer, for what purpose, how much, which essential oils, safety concerns and so on. In our experience, essential oils are generally more effective used topically with proper dilution or inhaled. Kurt Schnaubelt Ph.D. notes that "French aromatherapy literature contains many references to using oils orally." He goes on to note that "generally 1 drop is always enough when ingesting essential oils." A potential toxicity hazard could occur when untrained people use essential oils orally and ingest too much. Keep in mind that while medical doctors or health care practitioners may prescribe essential oils for internal use, they are trained and experienced in the safe application of essential oils. It is not a matter of using "French" or "British" methods, it's a matter of experience and appropriate application.
Click here for information about internal usage.
1. I was visiting family and went into the store that sold Hopewell Essential Oils. I purchased Cleansing in hopes that it would help me overcome my chronic candida and yeast infections. Nothing I’d tried through the medical fields had worked – at least not for long, and nothing had wiped out the candida. I decided to take Cleansing internally by putting a few drops in a capsule several times a day. Within days many of my candida symptoms disappeared! This is a great blend and I can’t tell you how happy I am to have found it. — C.F.
2. I had a rash all over my neck that looked like hives for over 6 months. It was red and puffy and itched like crazy. My Aunt Linda gave me some "Cleansing," and within a week it was almost totally cleared up! I put Cleansing in a roll-on applicator and rolled it on my rash three times a day for a week. I considered taking it internally, but the rash disappeared so rapidly that I didn't see the need to do it. — Courtney
3. Our son had a very bad, infected sore on his foot. The foot was swollen, and the sore looked like it might become a boil. It was very painful. We soaked it 3 times daily using draw salves, ointments and triple antibiotics, but nothing seemed to get it over the edge. We felt like we'd halted the infection from getting worse, but days were going by with very slow progress forward. We were about ready for the Dr. but continued to pray and ask God for wisdom, and I felt led to completely quit all former treatments and started putting Cleansing and Peppermint essential oil on every hour or so. I covered it with gauze and taped it around the edges so the sore could breathe. I couldn't believe the results. There was rapid improvement, and in a short time I only had to dress it once a day. The sore still had a scab, but I no longer kept it covered; I just applied the oils once in a while to disinfect it. I so wish I'd taken pictures; it was very ugly. Anyway, I'm sold, and the oils will be the first thing I try in the future, not a last resort! - Kristy B.
4. Cleansing and Germ Buster are fantastic!! Many of the people I see with high infection counts respond well with either Cleansing or Germ Buster. On a consistent basis, these 2 will take care of almost everything. Generally, they apply a drop 2-4x daily on the back of the neck, bottom of the feet, a hand's width around the belly button and any other area where infection is suspected. Kidneys/liver often show up as places in need of Cleansing, too. - C.P.
5. We've had great success in treating canker sores with the Cleansing Blend. In fact, it's great for all types of mouth and tooth issues. Wouldn't be without it! - Traci A.
6. I have a rash that I think is related to yeast and Cleansing oil has been great!! - Gina
7. We have had a bout of ringworm. The Plague Defense and Lavender were barely holding it at bay. I ordered the Cleansing, and wow! Using it twice a day, it stopped the itching within 36 hours and halted the progression of the sores. Amazing! - Julia
8. Cleansing has been so helpful to our family! Diluted at 20% with coconut oil, we put a drop on any cut or scrape and they always heal much faster than normal. We used to use antibiotic ointments, but the goop kept cuts too wet to heal. Now I put diluted cleansing on a bandage and cuts are healed overnight, including one fairly deep one in my fingertip. And best of all, the kids are always surprised because it seems to take pain away too and feel good when I put it on! Another blessing from Him! - Katy
9. I just had to write and let you know how amazing your Cleansing blend has been. My daughter left to do an 8 month mission trip overseas. I threw the Cleansing blend into her bag at the last minute just in case she needed it for a fungal infection she had gotten that had just gone away. She had finished off all her medicine, so I thought this would be good protection if it started to come back. Well the fungal infection didn't come back, but she got an infection under her armpit that formed a huge lump. She had this once before, so she knew she would need antibiotics to get rid of it. I told her to put the Cleansing on it 2-3 times a day and try that first. The Cleansing oil cleared up the infection in her armpit within a few days! Later she was at the beach and was burned so bad she had blisters. She put the Cleansing oil on in the morning, and by evening the blisters were gone. Other girls who had blisters that didn't use the oil had them for several days! She also told me that she has been using it on her acne, and it has been getting rid of her acne. You have made a believer out of my daughter for the use of essential oils. She is hooked! - Stacey
10. Earlier this year, my son was in the middle of a very bad eczema flare up. He was playing basketball at the time and we noticed the palm of his hand starting getting bubbles of infection which spread very quickly. Since we had a dermatologist appointment already scheduled, his MD prescribed an antibiotic to help clear the staph infection. After 1 dose of the antibiotic he turned bright red all over, and we discovered he is allergic to sulpha medications. I chose not to try another antibiotic, instead I began applying Cleansing oil, diluted, to his palm twice a day and wrapped his hand while he was at school or playing basketball. The infection cleared within days. Now, at the first sign of bubbles or spots on his hand I immediately begin Cleansing, and we have not had a recurrence of the staph infection. - Renae
11. I burned my hand on the handle of a pan after taking it out of the oven. It immediately started to blister and hurt pretty bad. After applying ice, I used a blend of Lavender and Cleansing and applied it multiple times throughout the evening and next day. Not only did it take the pain away, but it never blistered completely, and it healed from the inside. In less than 48 hours, you would never be able to tell that there was a burn there! - Amy
12. I cooked our Thanksgiving turkey in the oven bag this year, and somehow it spilled juice on the oven bottom. I didn't look to see how much; my husband just told me about it. We knew we needed to clean the oven, so last weekend we put the oven on auto clean and went to bed. It bothers my sinuses to be near the smell!. I have cleaned the oven like this for years. I was in bed reading, and my husband was almost in bed when the fire alarm started shouting "Fire! Fire!" My husband ran into kitchen to stop what we thought was the smoke setting off the alarm but lo and behold it WAS a real fire in the bottom of oven!! The alarm company called and wanted to send out fire department, but it was midnight and Jim thought it would be okay, because as soon as he turned the oven off, the flames quit. But we sure had a smoke-filled house, and it was cold outside! We didn't want to leave windows open all night, so we only left them open 15-20 minutes and went to bed. The house smelled like burned plastic! Horrible!! So after our church meeting the next day we opened windows and doors to try to eliminate the horrible smell, but it just wasn't working. My husband asked me if I had an essential oil we could use, and I thought of your Cleansing blend. I had some thin wooden reeds in a jar, and I poured some Cleansing on those, and my husband put them up above the cabinets in front of heater vent. Amazingly enough, that awful smell went away so quickly! However, the back part of house still had a faint smell, so we did it again! By Monday there was NO SMELL at all!! I was so thankful, as that burnt plastic smell was burning my sinuses!! I really hadn't thought of using essential oils and was so glad hubs thought of it! And didn't know which oil to choose, but thought the name Cleansing sounded right for what the air needed!! It was perfect!! So thankful!! We've found another use for EO's!! Just thought you'd enjoy hearing our silly story with a good ending!! - Maggie
Clove Drug interaction Caution (oral): anticoagulant medication, major surgery, peptic ulcer, hemophilia and other bleeding disorders (Tisserand/Young p. 255).
Clove Medication Caution: Tisserand notes that "since eugenol significantly inhibits human MAO-A (Tao et al 2005), oral doses of eugenol-rich essential oils may interact with pethidine, indirect sympathomimetics, MAOIs or SSRIs."
Clove Topical Caution: Repeated use topically can possibly result in contact sensitization. Can be irritating to sensitive skin.
Pet Poison Helpline: Tea tree oil is often found in varying concentrations and high concentrations should never be used on pets. As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats. Products containing tea tree oil concentrations less than 1-2% are generally considered non-toxic if used according to labeled directions.
Tea Tree Oil and Pets
: Veterinary toxicologists have reported that large amounts
of tea tree oil applied to the skin of cats and dogs caused poisoning.
Avoid contact with the eyes and other sensitive areas. Essential oils are both lipophilic and hydrophobic. Lipophilic means they are attracted to fat—like the membranes of your eyes and skin. They are also hydrophobic, meaning they do not like water. Flushing with water will only send the essential oil back to the eye's membranes. Applying a carrier oil will create another fat for the essential oil to be attracted to other than the membranes of the eyes or skin. We’ve not known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your health care provider.