Earache, Ear Infection
Earache, Ear Infection
Essential oils may help alleviate ear pain and facilitate drainage.
Ear Infection and Antibiotic Use by Dr. Mary Ann Block
It might surprise you to know that the sooner you take an antibiotic for an ear infection, the longer the infection will last and the more likely there will be a reoccurrence. Antibiotics can actually interfere with the body’s own immune system reaction. That’s why I developed a special hands-on treatment parents can do at home that helps to drain the fluid from the ears and sinuses and helps the immune system work better. - Dr. Mary Ann Block
The Block Massage for Treating Ear and Respiratory Infections
Massage Lymph Nodes - ease swelling and assist the release of antibodies that fight off infection
Massage the Head - encourage lymph fluid to drain
Massage the Neck - encourage lymph fluid to drain
Massage the Thoracic Area - encourage lymph fluid to drain
Build a Strong Immune System - avoid antibiotics
Good Nutrition - organic, no preservatives, artificial colors or flavorings, antibiotics, hormones
Garlic Ear Oil
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 TB Olive or Coconut oil
- In a small stainless steel pot, warm the oil, and then add the minced garlic
- Cover and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain through a cheese cloth.
- Put 2-3 drops warm (test on wrist to be sure not too hot) in the ear as often as needed for pain.
- It is beneficial to lightly massage around the ear and down the neck, which may help the lymph nodes to drain fluid away from the ears and reduce the risk of a bacterial infection.
- Store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator - will keep for 4-5 days.
Lavender or Gentle Joy blend Ear-Massage Oil
6 drops Lavender or Gentle Joy blend essential oil
5mL Carrier oil (consider a carrier with anti-inflammtory properties such as Hemp, Pomegranate, St. John's Wort)
- Mix together and dip fingertips into it. Gently massage around the ear and down the neck and jawline.
- Apply heat (a small cloth bag of rice works very well) as a warm compress over the ear.
- This blend at this 2% dilution ratio is suitable to drop into the ear if the circumstances are appropriate. See Application Suggestions below for more details.
Increasing pain that lasts longer than 48 hours or uncontrolled fever may indicate a bacterial infection. You may need to consult your Health Care provider.
PDF Article from The Journal of Infectious Diseases: Treatment of Ear Infection with Basil essential oil
Lymph Drainage for the Ears
Eustachian Tube | Inner Ear Plugged by Dr. Holmes
Massage For Children with Earaches
Researchers Gain Insight Into 'Lazy Ear'
" If sensory experience is degraded during these critical periods in early life, as would occur with a visual cataract or conductive hearing loss that can accompany an ear infection, the brain's representation of the sensory world can be distorted in a specific and enduring way, even after the physical deficit in the eye or ear has been corrected."
Referring to the above article, Kay Ness (Neurodevelopmentalist) wrote: This is VERY much in keeping with our experience as neurodevelopmentalists. Early ear infections and ear fluid distorts those auditory pathways to the brain and results in some not talking, hypersensitivity to certain frequencies, some so-called permanent hearing loss, etc. With appropriate sound therapy this can often be remediated but early sensory experience is IMPORTANT to baby brains.
Essential oils May Cure Ear Infections
The Journal of Infectious Diseases, June 2005
Applying certain essential oils to the ear canal appears to be an effective treatment for ear infections.
If toxicity studies confirm the safety of (anti-bacterial) essential oil components for use in the ear, then a significant advance can be made in the treatment of ear infections. The vapours that are released by essential oils, such as oil of basil, have been shown to have rapid bacteria-killing effects. Topical therapy for ear infections is usually not recommended because most drugs are in a liquid form that cannot penetrate the eardrum to reach the infected middle ear. However, the vapours from essential oils may be able to diffuse through the eardrum and destroy the microbes present.
To investigate, researchers form the Landspitali University Hospital in Reykjavik, Iceland, tested oil of basil, various essential oil components, and inactive placebo on rats with experimental ear infections. It was found that treatment with the oils cured up to 81 percent of the animals. With placebo, by contrast, cure rates did not exceed 6 percent.
The team noted that, based on their properties, essential oils may be able to destroy a variety of bacteria that can cause ear infections. They also point out that essential oils are generally considered to be safe.
Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart.)
Dilute with a carrier oil and massage around the ear area, down the neck and across the cheekbone unless using on a child who might then rub the oil into the eyes. Put a few drops of oil on a cotton ball and plug the ear with it.
Drops in the ear? Never drop undiluted essential oils directly into the ear! For children over 2 years of age, a 2% dilution of suitable oils may be appropriate if you are certain that the eardrum is not perforated. If the child has tubes, you will want to consult your MD before use as well.
Suitable essential oils include: Basil ct linalool, Copaiba, Geranium, Helichrysum, Lavender, Manuka, Palmarosa, Roman Chamomile, Rosalina, Tea Tree. Our Gentle Joy or Ear-B-Well blends are suitable choices.
Choosing a carrier that has anti-inflammatory properties will enhance the soothing effect: Emu, Hemp, Pomegranate and St. John's Wort.
Prepare the 2% Dilution: Put 3 drops of suitable essential oils into a 5mL bottle and fill to just below the shoulder with a suitable carrier oil. For convenience, consider using a pipette. (Once the earache has passed, we suggest you store the bottle with the orifice reducer and original cap in the refrigerator for optimun shelf life.)
Warm the bottle before applying: Gently warm the pre-diluted oil by securing the cap and placing the bottle in a sealed zip lock bag immersed in warm water.
Application: Have the child rest on his side with the affected ear up. If using a pipette, pry out the orifice reducer and test the warmth by putting a drop on your wrist. Then put 1-2 drops into the ear opening. Cap the bottle and gently massage around the ear and down the neck area as is tolerable by the child. Place a cotton puff into the ear opening. This can be repeated as 1-2 times daily or as needed.
1. I got the Gentle Joy blend from you for the baby. She still seemed to have a lingering infection in one ear after two rounds of antibiotics, so I was sure that when she got the crud that she would land back in the pedi’s office. But, I had been daily treating her ear that seemed to bother her with the ear remedy for two weeks prior. She did get sick and ran a good fever, so I took her in suspecting the ears again. The ear I had been treating was totally clear. The other was red, but not bad, so no drugs needed. Needless to say, I’ve been treating her other ear, too, now. But, I was totally shocked that that bad ear was so improved even when she had miserable drainage. She’s fine now. - M.B.
2. The Gentle Joy blend works very quickly to alleviate earaches. It's very mild in aroma, but works great! - E.S.
3. My ear had been aching for hours before I tried HEO's Gentle Joy blend. I followed the directions and put some on a cotton ball and placed it in my ear. Within minutes, my ear stopped aching and I felt so much better. This is an incredible blend! - E.B.S.
4. My daughter has been doing a lot of scuba diving and got an outer ear infection. She had Lavender with her (Praise the Lord!), and it had done the job well! She was in so much pain, and her EMT roommate said she could see puss. We put her on an active regimen of essential oils - especially the Lavender. Her ears cleared up! NOTE: Never put undiluted essential oils in the ear canal. Our daughter put the oil on the area outside the ear canal (the area you can see) and on the ear lobe. - M.E.K.
5. I want to share with you my experience with your Gentle Joy blend. I've been having trouble with one ear. It sounds like I'm under water, sometimes it's just a crackling noise, and sometimes it's so bad that I hate being around myself because of the water sound along with what sounds like my heart beat. Now I know why they call it the ear drum. It sure sounded like a drum pounding. I went to an ear, nose and throat Dr., and they told me to try Sudafed for a week. The doctor also made a recommendation to put a tube in the ear, just like they do for the children. I didn't see that as an option. Unfortunately, I went through the whole box of Sudafed before I thought to try your Gentle Joy blend. I remembered that I had ordered some of the earache oil, but I was thinking that I don't have a infection, but I was desperate, so I rubbed some oil around the ear and then put a heating pack on it. There wasn't much of a difference, so this morning I did it again, but I also soaked a cotton ball and plugged the ear. Praise the Lord, I haven't taken any more Sudafed, and my ear is doing fine. I'm very happy with the results of the earache oil. I will continue it for a couple of days and see what happens. I think any one who has children should have a bottle of this oil in their medicine cabinet. Thanks for all you do to being the hands upon the earth that the Lord can use to bring forth his healing. All glory and praise to our Lord Jesus. God Bless you - B. P.
6. I have chronic ear issues that have caused severe hearing loss. The Gentle Joy has made a difference in the way the ear feels. It even drained last night, which it only does after heavy doses of psudafedarine HCL. My ear (which has a tube in it) has never drained properly and never felt right in the last 10 years. This morning is the third day I have used Lavender (a drop under the tongue for allergies) and the second night for using the DermaSoothe blend before going to bed. My ear this morning popped and drained, and for the first time in a long time my ear feels comfortable. I don't even have a cotton ball in it. God had been blessing me with the gift of healing. - John B.
7. My sister lives next door to me, and she started to have trouble with her ear. I gave her some of the Gentle Joy. She used it once or twice, returned it and borrowed it again a few days later very desperate. She came over last night to return the bottle again telling me that finally, her ear was well. She realizes that if she had used it a few weeks ago for a least 3 days, she would have had relief back then. I told her to keep the bottle, and I just got a new one. Some oils, you just don't want to be with out. - Barbara P.
8. I get fluid in my ears very frequently and had 4 different sets of tubes in my ears as a child. Sinus issues are a chronic condition for me. I have found great relief placing a few drops of the Allergy Relief blend diluted on a cotton ball in both ears for about 15 minutes. I can hear/feel the ear popping and draining. By the next day, the general feeling of ear stuffiness and the scratchy throat I had as a result of the poor drainage is GONE. During allergy season, I find my ears are pretty aggressive in their intent to fill back up, so I usually have to do this about twice a week. I also rub it behind my ears and down the lymph node path on the neck that sinuses follow daily as needed (hope that makes sense). - Kim
9. I had for two days with occasional queasy stomach and sometimes felt slightly chilled. Eating healthy food made me feel better. I put the Ear-B-Well blend on cotton balls in my ears the third day, and I kept breathing in deep because it smelled so good to me. Most of the dizziness was gone after that. Thank you Linda! I'll have to put an order in soon. I used up the last of it. - Mary S.
10. My 10 month old has had several ear infections, and this is actually what drove me to search out a solution other than antibiotics. When she began running a fever and pulling on her ears, I used HEO's Ear-B-Well Blend on her ears 3-4 times a day for about 5 days. I took her to the pediatrician, and she could tell she was improving and told me to wait and not give her antibiotics. She felt that her body was healing itself. Two days later she was back to her happy self. I did what Linda suggested by massaging it in (when my baby would let me - Ha!). I also used the Mom's Remedy on her sinuses and her neck. The hardest thing is being consistent and remembering, but I am so thankful for that it worked! - Cheryl
11. My understanding is that the overwhelming majority of ear infections are viral and do not respond to antibiotics anyway. It is a common area of antibiotic overuse. Ear infections tend peak after a couple days and get better with or without antibiotics (but it's not the antibiotic that's helping). I've been told over and over by peds at Children's Mercy that there is simply no clinical evidence for the use of antibiotic in a typical ear infection. Also of note is that the most commonly prescribed antibiotic for ear infection (z-pac) does not have any efficacy in the middle ear!!! I like to use Hopewell essential oils, and some immune boosters as well as breastmilk if I'm still nursing. - Christy P.
12. We use the EARCHECK monitor and it's great. We also bought an EAR DOC from Israel. It's a super fast vibrating thing that sits on the ear bone, and facillitates draining the fluid down the tube. I'd say that if someone has any dairy in their diet, replace it with clear fluids (bone broth soups) and more water. Take Vitamin C right away as a first step. No one in our family has had an ear infection in years. At first sign of pain, we check with Earcheck, dose with Hydrogen Peroxide, and do some draining with the EarDoc. If pain remains, we put drops of homemade Garlic infused olive oil in the ear, and that helps tremendously. - L.P.
13. I use the Ear-B-Well blend on my 2 year old's swollen neck and head nodes, and it has helped remarkably! Usually we can tell a difference overnight. He does not actually get ear infections, but rubbing it on seems to help his lymph nodes drain. - Lynzi
14. As a mom that suffered from chronic ear infections for 2 years, here are things I have used/done:
1) Peppermint, Turmeric, Tea Tree, Gentle Joy Blend or Lavander oil rubbed outside the ear and behind it.
2) I also have put crushed garlic and some olive oil in cheese cloth and put that barely in my ear canal and put a towel and heating pad over it and laid down for a while
3) garlic infused olive oil in my ear
4) Apple Cider vinegar, mixed with rubbing alcohol in my ear
5) Simalison earache relief numbing drops (Walmart carried them in the pharmacy)
6) Used a blow dryer to gently blow warm air in the ear (be careful it is easy to burn yourself)
7) drank lots of hot tea with honey
8) Finally found out that cutting out milk and wheat made the chronic infections go away
15. I just wanted to share that both my kids recently had ear infections. I treated my daughter (3 1/2) with Ear-B-Well blend after she had complained that her ear hurt. My son is too young to vocally tell me his ear hurt, but I ended up taking him to ER because his fever spiked to 103.7, and there we learned he too had an ear infection. Against my better judgment I started my son on the antibiotic. Needless to say, my daughter recovered faster with the essential oils. Now *I* feel an ear infection coming on, so I went straight for my oils! - Nicole
16. My kids are both having great results with Ear-B-Well blend. It has helped them both with draining the fluid behind their ear drums. - Beth
17. We use the Ear-B-Well blend to unclog ears. Works great. I put a stripe in front of and behind the ear about 2x day. - Beth
18. My 6 year old had fever and an intense ear pain that had lasted for several days in spite of my efforts. A friend recommend HEO's Warrior blend. That night I put one drop (mixed with olive oil) on his head right behind the affected ear, and one diluted drop on his foot. He woke up in the morning pain free! I continued this regimen for three more days to make sure it was really gone. The pain didn't come back. What a huge blessing! It made me a believer of Hopewell oils. - Julie
19. I highly, HIGHLY recommend Ear-B-Well blend. I apply it in front and behind the ear 2x per day. If my child has congestion, I apply it at least 3x per day. I literally praise God for the Ear-B-Well Blend at least once a week. This blend has saved me so much stress and countless rounds of antibiotics for my children. Before we started using this blend my children had chronic ear infections. Without exaggeration, if they were off antibiotics for one week so, they would get ear infections. We had constant diarrhea, thrush yeast infections and stomach aches all as a result of antibiotics. I asked every doctor I came into contact with if there was anything we could do to help prevent ear infections. We didn't use bottles, pacifiers or dairy trying to beat ear infections, but nothing helped. In May I started using the Ear-B-Well blend, and I have not had a child with an ear infection since then. If the kids are healthy, I put the blend on in front of the ear and behind the ear once a day. If they seem like they're coming down with something or they're congested, I put it on twice a day. If they really seem like they're going to get sick, then I use it 3 times a day. Not only has it prevented more ear infections, but it also helps with the negative pressure in my daughter's ears. She's 4 years old, and for the first time she has completely healthy ears. I also gave a bottle of it to my mother who uses it to help with her ear pain. I cannot say enough about this EO blend. -Sunny
20. I learned about this online, and it worked wonderfully for me. The article said to put each oil on individually and wait 2 minutes then apply the next one. There are 3 oils total. It said to put each oil behind the ear at the top and to swipe downward toward the centerpoint of your clavicle bones. It said to use Eucalyptus first, then Rosemary, then Lavender. I have also put a drop of Basil on a cottonball and left overnight. This has worked well for me. - Cammy
21. I just want to give a testimony on how well the Ear-B-Well blend works, I have used Ear-B-Well for my granddaughters when they complain of their ears hurting. I applied it around the ear and down the side of the neck, then I put a drop on a cotton ball and place it in the ear. Every time I have done this for them, or myself, it relieves the pain within minutes! Before long they are back up and playing. - Nina
NEVER put undiluted essential oils into the ear canal.