Endometriosis occurs when endometrial cells which usually line the uterus, develop someplace other than the endometrium, such as on the outer wall of the uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, vagina, intestines or on the abdominal wall. These fragments cannot escape like the normal uterine lining that is shed during menstruation. This abnormal growth may lead to fibrous cysts often forming around the misplaced uterine tissue. Symptoms may include abdominal or back pain during menstruation or pain that often increases after the period is over. It may also cause heavy bleeding during periods and pain during intercourse.
According to Valerie Worwood, "Aromatherapy is one of the most effective ways to rid yourself of - or at least put into remission - endometriosis." She recommends a therapeutic bath treatment: Run hot, but not uncomfortable, water into the bath and prepare a bowl of cold water for the sitz ("Sitz" means you immerse your "sitter" into ideally waist-deep water. Perhaps a planter pot from a nursery will work, but if that is not feasible, just use a large bowl and do the best you can.)
Endometriosis Hot Bath Blend
Geranium 10 drops
Rose 5 drops
Cypress 2 drops
Nutmeg 10 drops
Clary Sage 8 drops
Put 9 drops of this blend into the hot bath only
Stay in the bath for at least fifteen minutes, and then move to the cold sitz bath, where you should stay for five minutes and then go back to the hot bath (add more hot water to make it comfortably warm). Worwood notes that the number of times you go in and out of both baths depends on the severity of your case, but aim for between two or four cycles. The object of the exercise is to get the blood vessels to contract and dilate, and it should be carried out daily for best results. Worwood also suggests that if you find the cold water sitz bath "impossible," use an ice pack (wrapped in a towel) instead on your sacrum area - the bony point on your lower spine, just above the coccyx. (A bag of frozen peas works great!) Hold the ice pack there for five minutes, and then get back into the hot bath as noted above.
Twice daily you should massage over your entire abdomen and hips with the following formula:
Endometriosis Massage Blend
Clary Sage 5 drops
Rose 5 drops
Geranium 10 drops
Nutmeg 10 drops
Dilute in 2 TB massage oil
If the pain is particularly bad during menstruation, use the above blend (double the amount of essential oils) during the week before each period is due, three times daily on the abdomen and hips. The more consistent you are with this protocol, the more likely you will experience remission of the endometriosis symptoms.
Drinking 1/10 tsp cayenne in 8 oz warm water may help regulate bleeding during periods.
A reputable health care professional stated that in her experience "endometriosis always has a parasite link to it."
Iodine Deficiency and Estrogen Dominant Diseases - Jorge D. Flechas, MD
1. I have endometriosis pain that comes like clockwork the week before my period starts, so I purchased Endometriosis Massage blend. Well, my period started yesterday, and I still have NO PAIN! I have lived with the endo for years and refused the recommendation from MD to use Lupron to put myself in "artificial menopause." Last month was so horrible I finally broke down and tried Endo Massage. I only wish I had done this sooner. Thanks Linda :) - M. M.
Update: I'm still amazingly pain free. I have a little twinge here and there, but I think this has been the least painful period of my life.
2. Endometriosis is a parasitic infection. I did not believe it when my natural health consultant told me and treated me for it. After so many years of pain and suffering it is gone. I did progesterone cream for years before, and it helped some, but I was still in pain. I would research oils for parasites and give that a try. It took many months of treatment to eliminate the parasites, but it worked, and I am pain free today. - Lana
3. Endometriosis is a yeast issue according to a ND I saw years ago. Think antifungal diet and such. I have not done the full GAPS diet but have followed a diet by Doug Kauffman at that time. I am doing my own ferments now and have seen a lot of good come my way. Dana
4. I used Fibrovan, and it was absolutely amazing. I was in so much pain all I could do was lie around on the couch. All I can say is this stuff really works. I'm not trying to take away from the oils. I'm sure they work. I just have not used them for this. - Leann
5. The Lord used an herb combo called Migraine Defense to heal me of endometriosis. Sixteen years of migraines and infertility from endometriosis....healed! Five pregnancies and three living babies! All glory to God!!!! - Marilyn
Worwood, Valerie, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, 1991, p. 238-239.