Method of Extraction: CO2
Aroma: faint; virtually odorless
Color: pale yellow/clear
Plant Part: Seed
Components: Rich in gamma linoleic acid (10%) and omega fatty acids
Approximate Shelf Life is stable and will typically exceed 2 years with proper storage conditions.
Shelf Life Suggestions:
Refrigeration will extend shelf life.
Oxygen is a big enemy to shelf life. Keep caps snug.
Write the date of purchase on the label in permanent marker.
Avoid contaminating the oil with fingers or pipettes inserted into the bottle. Unsterilized items such as fingers, cotton balls and pipettes that come into contact with the oils will potentially contaminate them. Pour off the quantity you will need into a smaller container or bottle and work from that.
Evening Primrose is high in gamma linoleum acid and omega fatty acids, which are beneficial to the skin, particularly dry skin. For covering large areas, Evening Primrose is very oily and commonly used diluted with other carriers such as Avocado, Grapeseed or Sweet Almond oils, as it is more cost effective and still quite beneficial. If used for spot treatment for issues such as acne or eye wrinkles, blending with a small amount of appropriate essential oils may provide wonderful results. Apply lightly with fingertips and avoid the eyes.
Evening Primrose oil may support, aid, ease, soothe, reduce, calm, relax, promote and/or maintain healthy function:
Breasts: fibrocystic, tenderness, support healthy tissue
Diabetic nerve damage
Fibrocystic breasts: may minimize inflammation and promote absorption of iodine
Hormone balance, support
PMS: may increase GLA if taken orally
Skin: astringent, eczema, elasticity, moisturizing, nourishing, protective, psoriasis
WoundsApplication for Hair Treatment
- Mix 5 drops Evening Primrose to 1oz organic Jojoba oil
- Heat to lukewarm
- Apply to scalp, rubbing well with fingertips. Scalp may itch slightly as scurf is loosened. Leave on for 10 - 20 minutes
- Shampoo with a natural shampoo; repeat as necessary to remove the excess oil
- Rinse with warm water for several minutes
1. Evening Primrose oil has been the number one help in relieving interstitial cystitis pain; I take one capsule nightly. That is what gave me my life back. Previously, at night the flair up would be so bad I could only walk doubled over. Please tell anyone you know going through IC about it too, as it is what turned things around, pain wise. I still experienced flair ups from time to time, and 1 tsp. of baking soda mixed thoroughly in water until dissolved would/will take the pain completely away within 5-20 minutes depending on the severity of the flair up. I hadn't had a flair up this bad in about a year, and along with the fibro flare, it is what prompted me to email you! I've been using Sandalwood twice a day since this terrible flair up. It did help a lot, but I still had to resort to the baking soda to relieve the pain. God is amazing with all the natural things available to heal us! - Julie
The follow information is from Herb Wisdom:
The gamma-linoleic acid, linoleic acid and other nutrients in Primrose oil are essential for cell structure and improve the elasticity of the skin. These fatty acids also help to regulate hormones and improve nerve function aiding problems ranging from PMS to migraine headaches. The hormone balancing effect contributes to healthy breast tissue. By interfering with the production of inflammatory prostaglandins released during menstruation, the GLA in evening primrose oil can help to lessen menstrual cramps. It may also minimize premenstrual breast tenderness, irritable bowel flare-ups, and carbohydrate cravings, and help to control endometriosis-associated inflammation. Many PMS sufferers are found to have unusually low levels of GLA in their systems, which is why supplements might help so much. In women with fibrocystic breasts, the oil's essential fatty acids can minimize breast inflammation and promote the absorption of iodine, a mineral that can be present in abnormally low levels in women with this condition. In menopause, it is widely reported that Evening Primrose oil reduces hot flushes and increases feelings of well being.
Parker, Susan M. Power of the Seed: Your Guide to Oils for Health ? Beauty, Process Self-reliance Series, page 138.