Ravintsara (Cinnamomum camphora), Eucalyptus radiata, Peppermint (Mentha piperita), Birch (Betula lenta), Lemon (Citrus limonum)
~ For a Gentle Blend suitable for children, the elderly or those with delicate constitutions,
consider our Breathe Easy Gentle Blend. ~
This combination of oils gives strength in fighting respiratory disease and infections, and may help alleviate symptoms of tuberculosis, asthma, and pneumonia.
Lung Healing and Respiratory Relief are "cousins." Many use Lung Healing for viral issues and Respiratory Relief for bacteria, mucus, fungus issues. Some find that using Lung Healing topically and diffusing Respiratory Relief is a good combination.
Application Suggestions (See Essential Oil Usage for more information and a dilution chart.)
*See CAUTION Information at the bottom of the page
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil or unscented cream or lotion and apply on inner thighs, chest, back or as desired. "Essential oils absorbed into the abdominal veins bypass the liver. They are fed directly into the heart-lung circulatory system without first being subjected to biotransformation by the liver detoxification enzyme system. Consequently, they reach the lower bronchial capillaries in their original lipophilic and volatile state, still capable of eliminating pathogenic microorganisms and dissolving and expectorating mucus" (From The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils by Kurt Schnaubelt.)
Internal: The quality of the oils used in Lung Healing are suitable for internal use within safe parameters, if such use is deemed appropriate. We feel that internal use is rarely *needed* and should only be used with respect for how concentrated the oils are. HEO does not advocate internal use of essential oils without appropriate knowledge and understanding of how to administer, for what purpose, how much, which essential oils, safety concerns and so on. In our experience, essential oils are generally more effective used topically with proper dilution or inhaled. Kurt Schnaubelt Ph.D. notes that "French aromatherapy literature contains many references to using oils internally." He goes on to note that "generally 1 drop is always enough when ingesting essential oils." A potential toxicity hazard could occur when untrained people use essential oils orally and ingest too much. Keep in mind that while medical doctors or health care practitioners may prescribe essential oils for internal use, they are trained and experienced in the safe application of essential oils. It is not a matter of using "French aromatherapy" or "British" methods, it's a matter of experience and appropriate application. *See safety information below.
Click here for information about internal usage.
Some put a drop of Lung Healing on/under the tongue to settle a cough.
Suppository Use Information
Pneumonia, chronic bronchitis and lung congestion respond very quickly to essential oils when delivered by suppositories. The essential oils bypass the liver and are fed directly into the heart-lung circulatory system. Thus, they reach the lower bronchial capillaries in their original lipophilic and volatile state, still capable of eliminating pathogenic microorganisms and dissolving and expectorating mucus. If helpful, a suppository can be used every 1-2 hours as needed. A quick way to accomplish a suppository is to put 1-3 drops of Lung Healing blend, Rosemary ct. verbenone, Myrtle or another mild oil of choice into an empty capsule and fill the rest full with a carrier oil such as Olive or Castor oil. The desired ratio is said to be 10:1 (1 drop essential oil to 10 drops carrier oil). If you do this for someone else, especially a child, try it on yourself first to be sure you have the dilution correct so that it's not uncomfortable. If diluted properly, it should not cause discomfort. For ease of filling a capsule, many prefer to use a pipette. We have glass pipettes and plastic available. Lubricate the capsule liberally and insert. Lie down or recline for about 30 minutes as the essential oils dissolve the capsule and move into the lungs. Always test your application on yourself before you apply to your child. Adjust the dilution if needed.
Some report that a single drop on/under the tongue and held to the roof of mouth while inhaling deeply has alleviated the need for inhalers for asthma and bronchitis issues. This has helped persistent coughs and allergy symptoms as well.
1. My father battled respiratory issues the last few years of his life. My friend suggested that I try Lung Healing, and no drug the doctors prescribed ever came close to having such a rapid affect on his breathing as did Lung Healing. Once the doctors sent him home to die with pneumonia – they said there was nothing else they could do for him. I brought him home and decided to try the Lung Healing in a suppository, and it worked. The doctors were amazed and could not believe that he pulled out of it. — F.C.
2. I used Lung Healing when my newborn got a bad respiratory infection. I even used the suppository on her – just be sure to dilute it with an oil like olive, coconut or jojoba. — L.S.
[HEO's Safety Comment: Please read the child safety information at the bottom of this page. This mama didn't have other choices of oils available. She used the oil very diluted and did not apply on or near the face of the baby. She applied to the back and inner thighs.]
3. After receiving your latest email, I found an herb capsule, dumped the contents out and put in Lung Healing plus the carrier as suggested. Honestly, I think I feel better already - is it all in my head? :-D S.W.
4. My 15-year-old son with Down Syndrome, has for the past 14 years had to go to the hospital for pneumonia anytime between February and May. Sometimes more than once. This was the first year with NO pneumonia, and so far it has been 15 months with no hospital stays. The only thing different this year has been that we've used Lung Healing and Respiratory Relief. We applied it topically to his chest nightly with jojoba oil and diffused it in his room while sleeping. Thank you. - J.H.
5. I have been using the Lung Healing on my little one, rubbing it on her chest, back and the bottoms of her feet. ("Tickle feet!" she says!) She was very congested when I tried it and having a lot of trouble breathing through her nose as well as the coughing from the bronchial asthma. I could tell a difference in her breathing almost immediately. The oils are amazing. Truly a gift from the Lord! - S.W.
6. We have asthma issues in our family. We use Lavender to control allergies, Respiratory Relief for flare ups and then the big gun Lung Healing for actual attacks. My son's 02 was *92* on the pulse oximeter (hospital-bound numbers for us) and within a half hour of Lung Healing in a suppository, he was back up to 99. (For the suppository we used 3 drops Lung Healing EO in a capsule and filled the rest of the capsule with a carrier oil) - T.T
7. I discovered that Lung Healing helped with my older daughter's coughing. She had a fever since last Wednesday night, and we found out on Friday that she has pneumonia. She's had lots of pain in her chest and is coughing and vomiting. I remembered the sample of Lung Healing and thought to give it a shot. It immediately helped her stop coughing. I put it on her chest, back and feet. I was pretty surprised. I tried it twice and it worked, but I ran out of the sample ;-/. I Love learning about these oils. - Sheri O.
8. I have a 5 year old that has been waking up every morning sneezing and coughing and extremely congested for over a year. I took dairy out of his diet and that helped for a while. When that stopped working, I wasn't too keen on going through the entire restricted diet regimen to pinpoint the culprit and it dawned on me that I could just try diffusing some oils. I bought a few oils figuring I would alternate them to determine what would work best. The first one I tried was Nasal Rescue, and the next morning he didn't have any congestion (despite my cheapo old pad diffuser). So, I just kept using it until it was gone. Then I put Lung Healing in it and again, no issues in the morning. I have also tried Respiratory Relief with the same result. So . .. while I don't have an answer to the why of his congestion - you have given me resolution. He now asks for his diffuser to be beside him every night. God has truly blessed us through you - and I was thinking, that as you provide relief through the oils, you are ministering by equipping saints to be able to work for His Kingdom. - Kristin
9. I have been sick and ended up with a cough that would not go away. A friend of mine suggested that I try putting a drop of Lung Healing under my tongue to see if it would help. I had already been using Respiratory Relief on my chest and diffusing Lung Healing at night. I put one drop of Lung Healing under my tongue, and instantly I could feel a difference in my throat! My throat/bronchial tube felt healed. No irritation at all. So now when I feel a little irritation in my throat, I just put a drop under my tongue and it goes away. Thank you so much for all your help with the oils. - Nina
10. I wanted to let you know that twice today my son was having difficulties with asthma-type symptoms, and I put a drop of Lung Healing on his tongue. Both times it stopped the symptoms. Thank you so very much for sharing this piece of information with me. We are still praying for wisdom to discern what is causing these issues but we are so very thankful to the Lord for a way to help him when he is having a hard time. - RaShell
11. I was visiting friends (who are doctors who use your oils) when I had a coughing attack. They had me use the Lung Healing essential oil blend, and I felt an immediate calming and relief. - Deborah P.
12. My lung congestion was worsening so I decided to try Lung Healing as a suppository. I can't say enough for how well the suppository works. Wow! does it ever! I did the suppository every hour on the hour yesterday, and I am continuing today every two hours. I cannot believe how it cut the congestion. I am not coughing as much, and I feel so much better. Praise the Lord! I appreciate all of your help and prayers. My bronchitis usually will last 3 months or so of coughing in the past, and I end up with costochondritis. I'm so glad for this knowledge. Blessings - Jan
13. After reading that the Lung Healing and Plague Defense helps with chronic coughing, I used it when my cough came on. This is a bad cough I get after an allergy attack or a cold where I cough so much that I vomit, and I can't sleep more than 15 minutes at a time. I haven't found anything that helps it go away completely, but using Lung Healing under the tongue and Plague Defense on the roof of the mouth (I put some on my thumb and then put thumb to the roof of my mouth), it has helped enormously. The coughing attacks were only about a minute long and with no vomiting. Thanks for the advice. - Tami
14. We use Lung healing for congestion - it works amazingly fast! - Karen
15. A dear friend of ours has been hospitalized for the last 2 1/2 weeks and developed horrible lung congestion and a cough. I took them some Lung Healing, and they used it on his feet. In two-three days he was clear. Such a blessing, as he had had brain surgery, and the coughing was horribly painful. I put 10 drops in a tablespoon of carrier oil for him. - Lana
16. My 80-year-young father has weakened lungs and is very susceptible to getting colds, which goes straight to his lungs and can easily develop into pneumonia if my mom doesn't get him on antibiotics right away. He had a major pancreatic surgery a few years ago and no longer has a spleen. By the grace of God, he's doing very well, but they say without his spleen, he's much more susceptible to getting colds and flus. I saw that you have some oils for the lungs and pneumonia, so I purchased Respiratory Relief, Lung Healing, Plague Defense and Warrior for him 9 months ago. My mom credits these oils for saving my dad. He has had the least amount of lung infections and colds, and even if one came on, it would disappear before getting deep into his lungs like it used too! He uses Lung Healing and Respiratory Relief on his chest nightly and Plague Defense and Warrior on bottoms of feet when fighting a cold. It's been so liberating for my dad, who loves to be around his grandchildren, but kept on getting sick in the past and therefore, could not spend as much time with them as he would have liked! Thanks so much!! Lisa R.
17. I have used Lung Healing for about a year now to combat a vicious cycle of chronic bronchitis, severe allergies and asthma. I've had these issues since the early 90's and several times a year would get a cough that just wouldn't go away. A year ago I diffused Respiratory Relief for about 2 months and started the Lung Healing (a drop or two on/under the tongue and inhale deeply) in lieu of an inhaler. Whenever I feel my allergies try to rear their ugly head or a cough tries to latch hold, I use the Lung Healing every hour until the problem subsides. I have used it as a suppository and feel it definitely has benefits, however, a drop on the tongue is how it is working for me. - Sherri P. [HEO's comment: We don't advocate dropping oils directly into the mouth. While this has worked well for Sherri, it does have some risk. Essential oils may irritate tender mucus membranes and even cause burning. Consider a drop in a teaspoon of honey then taken by mouth, as adding honey helps to disperse the essential oil, lessoning risk.]
18. A bonus side effect of Lung Healing used topically... it reduces moles and freckles over time. My wife used it for several months. It really helped her breathing at night during the winter, and the moles and freckles just faded. - Mitch H.
19. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Heritage Essential Oils and don't really order YL anymore. My favorite is Lung Healing. I love the smell of it and it works great for my son's asthma issues! I am slowly getting a cabinet full of Heritage Oils! - Julie
20. My dad has COPD and has suffered for so many years. I have prayed and prayed for something to help him not suffer so much. I found your site and ordered the Lung Healing, Respiratory Relief, Peppermint oil. After I applied the oils he said he hasn't breathed this well in a long time. - Jaime
21. I have a friend who has severe asthma. He asked me if there was anything that might help him. I read that Clary Sage is a broncho dialator, so I let him sniff the uncapped bottle, and it helped immediately. He bought Lung Healing and asked me to make him and others in his family Clary Sage inhalers, and he says he has not used his rescue inhalers since starting with the oils. Previously he was using the Rx steroids inhalers multiple times a day. He started out using the Lung Healing a time or two a day and the Clary Sage inhalers as needed. Now he doesn't have to use either of them often. - Patty N.
22. I have been using Lung Healing topically and under the tongue for over a week, but wasn't getting much relief for the congestion I have been having. Yesterday I added a couple of drops to a pot of hot water and sat inhaling it under a blanket for several minutes. This morning my lungs feel clear and I my head also feels cleared of the upper sinus congestion. Next time I'll start with the steam! - Anita
23. Lung Healing works very well when rubbed on the inner thighs! I felt some light chest congestion last night, and once I applied this way, it had cleared up within minutes. - Kate
24. I have found great success in using Respiratory Relief and Lung Healing on our 8th month old in healing respiratory congestion. I am thankful to God. - April
25. My son was home sick for 3 days last week with an ear infection. That has cleared up, but they always seem to lead into congestion and cough for him. This is how tonight just went down: 3am: he wakes up coughing uncontrollably, crying. 3:05: I apply Lung Healing (to his chest, back and inner thighs) 3:15: All coughing subsided, he's asleep. For all the sleepless, croupy nights we have had in the past 11 years...this is simply amazing. I will never again be without this oil blend. -- Susan
26. We are amazed at how well Lung Healing works. I think it smells like Christmas or peppermint and white chocolate.. or heaven. something like that! - Candice
27. Lung Healing is my favorite blend for our son's asthma. Sometimes when he needs a little extra we add Frankincense. I am always amazed how fast it works!! - Julie
28. I have used Lung Healing EXTENSIVELY while pregnant!! I haven't had a single problem. Lung healing is our "go to" blend for congestion/coughing/diffusing during colds--for the entire family. Lung Healing was the only thing that gave me relief from coughing this pregnancy--I put a drop either on my tongue at bedtime or put it on the roof of my mouth with a clean finger. LOVE Lung Healing!! - Christy
29. We have been so grateful to discover that Lung Healing clears up my 4 year old grandson's asthma. My daughter keeps a bottle with them at all times. Recently, little Micah said, "Mama, why do they put my Lung Healing in a PINK bottle? Don't they know I'm a BOY?" (Thought you'd like that, Linda!) - Cynthia
30. I just received the Lung Healing essential oil today. I ordered it for my grandfather who is suffering from aspiration pneumonia. I've only used it on him for a few hours (since around 2 this afternoon and now it's about 9:20), and I believe that tonight will be one of the first nights he gets some sleep and, therefore, some much needed rest. His time between coughs keeps getting longer and longer. And the coughs are less and less severe. He is breathing deeper. If you knew how severe this pneumonia was a few days ago, you wouldn't believe this is the same man. I am in awe. First of all, I am writing to say thank you. I know it may seem premature, but this is the best he's been in three weeks when he had a severe stroke. I shouldn't be surprised because I know what essential oils can do, but to see them work so instantly is amazing, and I just had to reach out and let you know and thank you. - Windy
31. LUNG HEALING!!! I will never run out of that stuff...ever!!! Beats anything! (Can you tell we like our lung healing?!!) - Hollend
32. I have a chest cold right now (going on day 4). Yesterday I tried using one drop of Lung Healing sublingually and holding it there as long as possible without swallowing. Shortly after, I coughed up a lot of phlegm and felt a lot more relief than with any previous methods I tried. - Sally
33. The Lung Healing blend has been an everyday blessing for me. I do not have to take my allergy meds anymore, and I only take 1/4 of my asthma meds now. - Joy
34. I like to diffuse Lung Healing while putting Respiratory Relief on topically. I have 3 boys w/ special needs, and they all deal with different respiratory issues. One used to have up to 4 breathing treatments a day along with an oral steroid. I started using the 2 oils hand-in-hand, and saw such a huge difference in my son that I got his doc to approve weaning him off his breathing treatments an oral steroids. He's been off for 3 years now and has no issues. (yay!) Top Gun is for fighting bacterial infections and Warrior is more of what you want if you want something that will work like an anti-biotic. I've personally only have had to use Warrior once. Typically, just with using Plague Defense, I've not had anything get me sick. The one time I used Warrior was when I was visiting an Eastern European country and I had gotten sick. I used it in conjunction with my PD. We were there to adopt, and I didn't want my new son to get sick. It boosted my immune system like crazy, and with in two days I had no more symptoms whatsoever. Awesome stuff! - Alysha
35. I was on trip in Canada and had a pain in one knee that flared up bad. I generously applied the one essential oil I had, Lung Healing, and the pain went away and has not come back. - Steve
36. My experience with the flu came on in a matter of minutes. One minute I was working on a painting project, and over a 30 minute period I was feeling flu-like. It was primarily in the chest. I found the Lung Healing to be very helpful. I would have a coughing fit about 5-10 minutes after applying to inside of thighs and cough up some nasty looking stuff, thereafter feeling the tightness in my chest relieved and coughing would subside for a good period of time. I also used Plague Defense on feet and the neti pot with the sinus rinse recipe on the HEO site. My friends had this for well over 5 weeks, and I had it 4, but of course not as virulent after the first 2 weeks. I also kept one of the HEO inhalers with eucalyptus on my bed stand to inhale during the night when my head would stuff up. - Sally
37. Wanted to let you know, I got the Lung Healing for my almost 81-year-old mom. It sure came fast! She started using it as soon as I gave it to her. I noticed a dramatic improvement in her breathing within a few hours. After a few days she is feeling better and breathing better. I give God the praise! We're awaiting test results to find out if this is pneumonia, COPD, or something more serious. Having mom feeling a bit better while we wait is a blessing. Thank you for the super fast shipping! - Tammy
38. I applied Lung Healing for an upper respiratory chest infection for almost two weeks, and then I noticed that the brown pigmentation on my chest area had disappeared. I couldn't believe it, as the pigmentation had been there for at least 15 years. So thankful for this double cure! - Dixie
39. Respiratory Relief and Lung Healing are the blends I use for asthma. When I feel stuff coming on I use them on my throat, under my nose and around my ears. I don't even remember the last time I needed my rescue inhaler. It's been at least two years, and we live in Louisiana! We use local honey, also. Not sure if it helps, but it doesn't hurt. - Mary
40. The most recent miracle is trying Lung Healing which I had bought for my daughter who is asthmatic. I had been to church where they were pumping out the fake smoke for effect during worship. I asked them to tone it down as I knew it bothered me before. They toned it down, but I still had to take a nap when getting home, and when I woke up, I decided to try the lung healing. It seemed to help my breathing and being alert, but more than that, the pains in my hips were almost totally gone. I have kept up using it wondering if some of my problems were due to low lung function. I ordered more which I am looking forward to receiving in this next shipment. Thank you for your ministry with the oils. I am loving it. - Gail
41. My oils came to the rescue again tonight! Every year, my son gets a croupy/asthmatic cough around the change of seasons, especially on the rainy days. Tonight it was relentless. I applied one drop of Lung Healing to his back and another drop rubbed into his chest...he fell asleep within minutes, and I haven't heard a single cough since! - Susan
42. Two of our boys have had allergies causing lots of miserable stuffy noses through the fall and spring. They also have had asthma after every cold or flu virus. Since I began diffusing 20 drops of Lung Healing in a diffuser next to their beds at night for the past 7 months, their allergies completely went away and they have hardly had any asthma at all! Only once or twice did they have a little bit of wheezing, and all I did was have them sit near the diffuser with a mix of Respiratory Relief and Lung Healing, and the wheezing quickly went away! We are so thankful to the Lord that we have been able to avoid a lot of prescription medications for these little ones because of this! - Katy
43. My Mom always has a puffer at home for when she feels a little wheezy or tight in the chest from COPD. She rarely uses it - maybe a few times a year. When she went to her doctor last time and asked for a new prescription for it, he told her they don't make it anymore. She didn't want a different one because she is sensitive to a lot of meds and found only that particular brand worked safely for her. I gave her Lung Healing and showed her how to put one drop in her palm and rub her hands together and breathe it in. She told me last time I saw her that she LOVES IT! She said it works great and she won't need to have a puffer anymore. That was music to my ears! - Margaret
44. My sister has coined Lung Healing as a "miracle in a bottle." Nothing has ever worked like Lung Healing in bringing up her congestion. - LaJoan
45. I actually just discovered the perfect delivery method for Lung Healing a few days ago: I both sniff the bottle directly AND I dab my mustache with a roller applicator. it lasts a long time with very little waste and NO skin irritation/burning. VERY soothing. - Raymond
46. Lung Healing and Respiratory Relief are really helping me. I have emphysema and COPD, and the oils help me relax. - Dawn
47. For the last week I've been suffering from an upper respiratory infection, laryngitis and extreme chronic negative pressure in one ear. It's been a challenging week to teach 6th grade!. I've been swabbing Myrtle (a family FAVE...my 4yo often asks for it by name) in my nose for my sinuses. I borrowed the diffuser from my toddler's room and started diffusing Lung Healing at night as I sleep. As soon as I turned it on, within MINUTES, I had a productive cough, actually getting some stuff loosened and up. Also, Ear Infection blend, diluted, on the back of my ear and on a cotton ball stuck in my ear is the only thing giving me relief there. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! - Liz
48. Peroxidizer - Use 3% peroxide - 3 bottles of peroxide to 5 bottles of water in a cool mist humidifier. I use the ultrasonic humidifier because it cranks out more volume. Sit in front of it and breathe deeply - pathogens in the lungs and sinuses can't live in an oxygen enriched environment. Usually the flu and so on is gone within 24 hours using this method. You can also put it by your bed or the bed of your children at night when flu and cold strikes. Some have also had good results adding a few drops of lugols iodine solution, which sounds like a good idea to me. - Kay
CAUTION for Children: Essential oils high in 1,8-cineole (Eucalyptus) or menthol (Peppermint) can cause CNS and breathing problems in young children, and should not be applied to or near their faces under ten years of age (Tisserand, pages 656-657, 273). Tisserand writes: "Any oil with 40% or more 1,8-cineole should not be applied to the face of infants or children or otherwise inhaled by them" (page 109). Appropriately diluted for the child, Lung Healing will fall well-within the range of safe use, as it would contain far less than 40% 1,8-cineole. Regarding inhalation/diffusing, Tisserand writes: "For children of 5 years old or less, direct inhalation should be avoided. Direct inhalation includes inhaling essential oils from the hands, a cotton ball, a nasal inhaler, a bowl of hot water or similar. Indirect, or ambient inhalation, is safe for young children, and includes any method that vaporizes essential oils into the air (page 658).”
Birch: Dermal, Inhalation and Oral Caution: Anticoagulant medication, major surgery, hemophilia and other bleeding disorders, pregnancy, nursing, children and people with salicylate sensitivity, which may apply to people with ADD/ADHD (Tisserand page 215).
Internal Caution: Large doses of Birch can be toxic. 5mls of Birch is equal to approximately 21 aspirin (300 mg tablets). Large amounts taken orally can cause ringing in the ears, nausea, vomiting, headache, stomach pain and confusion. Tisserand notes that the maximum adult daily oral dose is 182mg, which would be less than .2mL. Oral Caution: GERD disease, anticoagulant medication, major surgery, hemophilia and other bleeding disorders pregnancy, nursing, children and people with salicylate sensitivity, which may apply to people with ADD/ADHD (Tisserand page 215).
"Methyl salicylate is good for some people, not for others. A blanket contraindication is not necessary, but it is best avoided in pregnancy – all salicylates are teratogenic in sufficient amount, including methyl salicylate and aspirin (acetyl salicylic acid). Methyl salicylate must be absolutely avoided by anyone taking blood-thinning drugs, as it increases the action of the drug, and this causes blood to leak into tissues and internal bruising occurs. Knowing a lethal dose tells you very little about what (1) a therapeutic dose would be or (2) a safe dose would be, but it does tell you what dose not to use! Therapeutic dose is good to know of course, and this varies between essential oil and also between purpose. Wintergreen oil has some wonderful properties, but I would not like to see it used at more than 5% (Tisserand)."
Avoid contact with the eyes and other sensitive areas. Essential oils are both lipophilic and hydrophobic. Lipophilic means they are attracted to fat—like the membranes of your eyes and skin. They are also hydrophobic, meaning they do not like water. Flushing with water will only send the essential oil back to the eye's membranes. Applying a carrier oil will create another fat for the essential oil to be attracted to other than the membranes of the eyes or skin. We’ve not known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your health care provider.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, The Healing Intellegience of Essential Oils, 2011.
Tisserand, Robert; Young, Rodney, Essential Oil Safety: A Guide for Health Care Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences UK, 2013, pages 215, 656-658, 273.