Plague Defense blend is formulated to help aid our efforts to support immune response to an illness as one would need for "the plague." For less aggressive illness, consider Immune Support
as a suitable alternative.
Plague Defense essential oil blend may support, aid, ease, soothe, reduce, calm, relax, promote and/or maintain healthy function of the following:
Intestinal track infection
Urinary track infection (UTI)
Research Articles and Aromatherapy Literature Notes
In November of 2005, an important discovery was made: Mold, even heavy infestations of toxic mold, could be eliminated from homes and office buildings using a blend of essential oils: Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus radiata and Rosemary. (See the studies in Dr. Edward Close's book, Nature's Mold Rx.) He recommends this model diffuser, but all the diffusers Hopewell offers are suitable and work similarly.
Studies conducted in 1997 at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, showed the antibacterial effectiveness of this blend of essential oils against airborne microorganisms. One analysis showed a 90 percent reduction in the number of gram positive Micrococcus luteus organisms after diffusing the Plague Defense blend for 12 minutes. After diffusing for a total of 20 minutes, there was a 99.3 percent reduction. Another study against the gram negative Pseudomonas aeruginosa showed a kill rate of 99.96 percent after just 12 minutes of diffusion of this blend of essential oils.
Dr. Edward Close and Jacquelyn Close documented in "over 100 case studies, verified by an independent EPA-approved environmental laboratory, have shown that organically produced concentrated plant extracts, also called essential oils, when diffused in the air, eliminate mold spores in the air and on surfaces in as little as 24 hours." MoldRx4U.com
Article: Why You Should Never Use Bleach To Clean Mold
Moldzyme: Tackling Mold and Mildrew - see Testimony #69 by Lana below
Antimicrobial activity of essential oils against Helicobacter pylori.
There was an 82% reduction in Micrococcus luteus bioaerosol, a 96% reduction in Pseudomonas aeruginosa bioaerosol, and a 44% reduction in Staphylococcus aureus bioaerosol following 10 minutes of exposure to the blend of oils in Plague Defense that was diffused for a given amount of time. [View abstract]
Protective Essential Oil Attentuates Influenza Virus Infection: An In Vito Study in MDCK Cells (using a blend of oils similar to Plague Defense)
Cold air diffusing Cinnamon Bark essential oil showed inhibitory effect against respiratory tract pathogens Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes and Staphylococcus aureus, including some penicillin-resistant strains. [View abstract]
Cinnamon and Clove essential oils showed strong inhibition of bacteria when tested for the possibility of creating a protective atmosphere by using natural compounds that could extend the shelf life of packaged foodstuffs. The oils were tested against Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus cereus, Enterococcus faecalis, Listeria monocytogenes, Escherichia coli, Yersinia enterocolitica, Salmonella choleraesuis, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. [View abstract]
Kurt Schnaubelt holds a Ph.D. in chemistry and is the founder and scientific director of the Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy. He writes in reference to reading or hearing "dire warnings about the use of Cinnamon and Clove oil, that the 'Never to be used' phrase attached to these two essential oils" is "resoundingly ignored by those who really used essential oils. The antibacterial effects of Cinnamon Bark oil make it one of the best options when a person encounters violent bacterial infections of the intestinal tract, especially while traveling in unfamiliar territory! The choice is between being pointlessly scared by the defensive writing of an author who probably had never been in a comparable situation or effectively ending the debilitating condition with a few drops of Cinnamon oil."
The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, page 73.
In Medical Aromatherapy: Healing with Essential Oils, Schnaubelt writes that Clove and Cinnamon are "Strong allergenic agents" and that Cinnamon Bark, Cinnamon Leaf, Cassia, Clove Bud and Clove Stem "provoke skin sensitization in approximately 5% of the population when applied topically. These oils are preferably used internally, which is less problematic."
"Today, eugenol, the main constituent of clove oil, and cinnamic aldehyde, the main constituent of cinnamon bark oil, are among the most thoroughly researched components of essential oils. Within modern times, the move toward commercialization has made these two oils almost outcasts in the litmus test of aromatherapy. This may also be a reflection of the predominant use of aromatherapy for massage in Great Britain and the limited usefulness of these oils for topical applications, because they do pose hazards such as dermatitis reactions to those with sensitive skin. Nonetheless, their ability to restore equilibrium to the intestinal flora, to act against pathogens, and to be metabolized by the good bacteria makes them indispensable agents in maintaining balance during an illness. Another reason that these oils are so highly contested may rest in their extreme effectiveness. In casual aromatherapy, it is customary to always use at least a drop or two. Doing so with cinnamon or clove results in too high a concentration. A more accurate evaluation of the qualities of these two oils is given by Dr. Deininger, of Cologne, Germany, who put it this way: “If people in the world knew about all the beneficial properties of cinnamon it would not be available anymore, it would be soaked up from the market in no time.”
"According to the work of Deininger as well as Franchomme and Pénoël, cinnamon bark oil is effective against 98 percent of all pathogenic gram (+) and gram (-) bacteria. It is also effective against yeasts, candida (albicans, tropical, pseudo-tropical) and fungi, including aspergillus, thereby preventing aflatoxin production. It is antiparasitic and prevents fermentation in the intestines; it is effective against diarrhea, colitis, amoebic dysentery, enterotoximia, bacterial cystitis, and urinary tract infections with E. coli and tropical infections accompanied by fever. Caution: potential skin irritant and sensitizing agent. Preferred mode of use: Internally."
"Aromatherapy approach: for the self-medicating individual, determination of the pathogen is often not possible. Cinnamon bark oil can be used alone or in conjunction with oregano oil to take aim at an extremely broad range of pathogenic bacteria. It is well tolerated internally. For bacterial intestinal infections, which can often be identified by their quick and violent onset, oils that often are treacherous to use on the skin such as cinnamon bark and clove are very useful. Their internal application is usually safe and effective, provided they are used in the appropriately small dosage of one drop per application. The best way to ingest these oils is to dilute one drop of the oil into one tablespoon of edible oil (hazelnut or olive) and ingest that mixture in a gelatin capsule."
Schnaubelt writes in The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy (p. 79) that "It appears that the potential of Clove bud, stem, and leaf as well as Cinnamon bark and leaf oil to create these undesirable effects arises when they come in contact with the skin. However, ingesting a drop of Cinnamon Bark essential oil absorbed on a sugar cube or a similar adsorbent is typically tolerated well by almost everyone. Taking a drop of Cinnamon Bark essential oil in this fashion can be a life safer if you are suffering from tropical infections. Clove essential oil is so powerful that it is treated with utmost respect by everyone who chooses to work with it. If integrated into blends intended for ingestion, 1% of Clove is effective and should probably be an upper limit."
Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D wrote that 1 drop [of Cinnamon Bark] in honey can be taken once every 2 hours for acute infection.
The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils, page 133.
[HEO's Comment: Tisserand/Young note that the maximum adult daily oral dose of Cinnamon Bark is about 6 drops. This would limit the maximum oral daily of Plague Defense to 36 drops, which is clearly more than one would consider taking daily.]
(Assume Plague Defense was used appropriately diluted unless otherwise noted.):
1. Twice now I’ve had a very painful sore throat
come on suddenly. I put a drop of Plague Defense in a glass and added just enough water to gargle. After gargling, I swallowed it. Instantly the painful sore throat disappeared. I figured the oil had just numbed it, but I never had another inkling of soreness. – L.S.
2. I love to diffuse this oil – smells like Christmas
. My guests think my house smells wonderful and all the while I’m protecting myself from all the germs they bring in. This is the best blend of this kind that I’ve ever tried. – Snowbird
3. My son took the Plague Defense back to A ? M University, and he and his roommate used up the whole bottle. He and his home-schooled roommate, both of whom seem very susceptible to every virus on campus, have remained virus-free
for two weeks now. It was an experiment on their part, but that is the first time all year my son has not been puny with something viral. So, I will need to order some more soon! - M.B.
4. I had strep throat
last week and applied Plague Defense topically on the bumps in the back of my throat with a long swab. Within 4 days it was gone! I was not in anymore pain and the bumps diminished to nothing. Amazing! - K.C.
5. My daughter was dealing with molars coming in
and was just miserable. I put Plague Defense on her gums, and she cheered up, drooled less and seemed to get back to her old self. We also use Mom's Remedy (full strength to diffuse and diluted for topical use) for fevers and runny noses associated with teething. - A.N.
6. I've had splinters
come out of both children's feet by applying Plague Defense. I found this out by accident because I always rub their feet with Plague Defense and they both happened to have splinters from playing on the deck at the beach house. - Mindy
7. My married son had an abscessed tooth
, and the dentist said he would have to have a root canal done. Knowing how bad root canals are, he called me to see what I'd suggest him to do, and I suggested that he apply Plague Defense on the gum next to the tooth and diluted on the jaw. He put some drops on a cotton ball and packed it next to the tooth. The infection cleared up but then erupted again, and this cycle happened at least three times. Each time he'd start the protocol again. I read about your Plague Defense Tooth Suds, and why the Birch was added, so I suggested that he use the Plague Defense and then apply Birch to help drive it in. This worked! The infection was resolved and his tooth is fine.
8. My kindergarten son came home yesterday with glassy eyes, fever
and complaining of sore throat.
I immediately rubbed his feet with Plague Defense. He slept on the couch, and then we put him to bed. There, I rubbed his feet again with PD. I combined coconut oil and PD and rubbed his torso down, focusing on his spine. He is 100% better this morning! - Brandee
9. My 7 year old got strep
, and instead of using antibiotics, I used Plague Defense as suggested and Warrior! I love these essential oils! - Aresha
10. My niece got her Plague Defense yesterday - Just in the nick of time. Her son came home from school with a stomach virus and vomiting
. She put it on the on the soles of his feet. He fell asleep and slept all night. This morning he is not vomiting and is able to keep dry crackers down. Praise God. Now, everyone gets Plague Defense on the soles of their feet to protect them. I have had good results with Plague Defense also. It works overnight and will break a fever overnight
too. Much better than using antibiotics. - Diane
11. I've been using your Plague Defense blend and really like it. I have three boys, age 4, 3, and 1 and the older two beg for me to diffuse it or rub it on them ;) My youngest one was diagnosed with Infant Leukemia at 8 months old and has been undergoing treatment for almost the past year. We are doing everything we can to naturally boost our immune systems and keep germs at bay. Since using the Plague Defense, we haven't been sick
! I also take it with me to the hospital when he has to stay every night (since we all know just how germy the hospital is!). I've have received MANY questions and positive remarks regarding the wonderful scent. One nurse even said, "I love coming into your room. It's so relaxing!."
Thank you!!! I've used several other of your oils and blends as well for him/us. So far we've enjoyed them all! - Amy H.
12. I received the package last week, and have been enjoying the Plague Defense in the new diffuser. Thank you so much for keeping the quality of your products high! - Nancy
13. I received my first order last week and can't tell you how much fun I've had experimenting with different oils in the diffuser! In fact, my husband came home Saturday with symptoms that sounded like the beginning of the flu
strain people in our area have been experiencing - extreme fatigue, light sensitivity, painful eyes,
etc. I applied Plague Defense and shut him up in a room with it diffusing as well. Several hours later, he came out a new man! - Tami R.
14. Our 6-year-old son with Down Syndrome has a lot of respiratory issues. He woke up with a nasty barking cough
and running a fever
that came out of no where two nights ago. Typically, when he gets sick it turns bad quickly. I put Plague Defense on his feet and Respiratory Relief on his chest and back. In the morning his fever was gone, and his cough was sounding better. For the last two days, I've been reapplying the oils, alternating what goes on his feet, chest and back between Lung Support
, Plague Defense and Respiratory Relief
. Today, he has no cough, the fever never came back and he's feeling better. Without the oils, today he'd be in really bad shape. Thank you HEO for helping me keep our son well. - Alysha
15. My 4 year-old was recently hit very hard with the stomach virus
. I immediately put a drop of Plague Defense under everyone's tongue, but somehow my oldest was overlooked. So far, he is the only other person in the house to have gotten sick, and it's been a week since he was hit! We'll definitely be keeping this on hand! - Millicent
[HEO's comment: Plague Defense is a *hot* blend and is not recommended to use like this undiluted.]
16. I've been using Plague Defense on my daughter for the last 2 nights for her cough
and also Lavender oil to help her sleep. I am so pleased to say it is working. I don't think she has ever slept so well. :D Thank you so much for what you do! - Cece
17. I am ecstatic over your oils! One of my daughters had a sore throat
and started getting stuffed up with a headache. She usually ends up with double ear infections and strep throat. I was determined not to put her on antibiotics again so soon, as it has been only 45 days since the last episode. For two days I used Top Gun. I put your Ear-B-Well blend on cotton balls in her ears for two nights. I diffused Plague Defense. Wow! This knocked it out and conquered it! I used Peppermint for her headache. By the forth day she had fully recovered. We also used Plague Defense for Hubby's stress headache. A drop on the tongue and let it rest on the roof of the mouth. Headache gone!! - Lynn
18. I am a newbie essential oil user. But I am loving my Plague Defense! I had read where someone used it for a gargle then swallowed it for a sore throat. I tried it on day one of our symptoms. It worked! I've only had one day of that sore throat,
and only about 3 days of very mild cold symptoms. - Mandy W.
19. I started using Plague Defense and occasionally Tooth Suds for my daughter's canker sores
. It is amazing! She had them all the time. The Peds Dr or her dentist's advice did not work for 4+ years. We tried everything but steroids. She ALWAYS had at least one that lasted for a week or more. They were very painful for her and sometimes she didn't want to eat! She started using Plague Defense, and they were gone in 2 days and haven't been back. Its been about 16 weeks. She puts 1 drop on her finger then in her mouth before bed a few times each week. She's even had a sinus infection with no canker sores. (Usually when she's sick they are worse) WE LOVE Plague Defense! Absolutely love it. - Connie P.
20. Five months ago I developed two very large boils
on one leg that turned into a need for surgery, which turned into two, golf ball size holes in my leg and hospitalization for four days. It was an awful few months as I had to have wound care etc. Since then I have had about 8-10 boils try to start up on my legs. I'm not sure what is causing them, but I do know that if I rub Tea Tree Oil and Plague Defense on the boils 3-5 times per day, within a few days they will begin to dry up on their own. I'm very grateful. I would much rather rub oils on the things than have surgery or wound care again. Thank you for walking this path and for making oils affordable. I am very grateful as they have become part of our family routine on a daily basis. I especially love the fact that my five year old will come to me if she gets a mosquito bite or if her tummy doesn't feel well, and tell me she needs 'essential oils'... LOVE IT! - Tina P.
21. I'm loving Plague Defense! I think it has taken me out of the viscous cycle I've been in of getting over a sinus infection
or cold and then immediately getting another one. I'm looking forward to trying more of your products! - Shelly M.
23. I had emailed with HEO when my daughter got strep. She ended up on antibiotics sadly, because I didn't have the proper oils on hand :( Problem fixed! When I came down with a severe sore throat and very ill, I used Plague Defense 3x a day for a couple days, and the sore throat disappeared! This is the first non-antibiotic success I've ever had with strep
!!! Thanks!! - Dana
24. Plague Defense is the best thing. I got rid of strep
3x in just a few months 2 years ago. I treated it with Plague Defense each time. Here's the kicker tho... Since then, we've been exposed to strep numerous times and not once have I gotten it. That's a biggie for me! - Lori
25. I want to share about Plague Defense. We live in a moldy house
. It's a long process to clean the mold which released spores all over, into the carpeting and the furniture and what all else. I've been diffusing Plague Defense and also using it (a drop under my tongue, on my feet or as a gargle) on myself whenever I felt a virus coming on. With my allergies
(yep allergic to the mold, pollen and dust), I get sick often, especially in the winter. This past winter I did not catch one cold or flu virus
. A few times I awoke feeling like I was coming down with something and used the Plague Defense to beat that sick feeling down. I'm working with other oils to treat the allergies, but I tell all my friends about Plague Defense when they complain of being sick. - Tammy
26. I've had bouts with Helicobacter pylori
three times. This last time I started taking antibiotics again and remembered that my sister told me she was treating everything with essential oils, so I gave her call. She suggested that I use Plague Defense blend and drink plenty of pure water. I felt a ton better within 12 hours, and was 'recovered' at the end of the 3rd day.
Antimicrobial activity of essential oils against Helicobacter pylori.
27. I am usually sick all winter, but this past winter I did not catch a cold. Whenever I felt one coming on I started using the Plague Defense. I used it in my toothpaste as well. - Tammy
28. I love Plague Defense just for the taste alone, but it definitely wards off all the yucky stuff mentioned above. - Leann
29. I started feeling tired, congested and my body started aching. I thought I was getting a cold. So I use Plague defense on my feet, put on socks, put couple drops on my hands and inhaled. Then I took a nap. When I woke up, I felt rested and my symptoms were gone. I was pleasantly surprised because I really thought I was going to get sick. I love my Plague Defense!!! - Deida
30. Plague Defense is amazing! I was feeling the onset of a cold after traveling from Hawaii to Atlanta on two different planes last weekend. I was going to accept the inevitable until my sister gave me her Plague Defense and I rubbed it on my feet before I fell asleep. When I woke up, not only was I not congested NOR jet lagged, I felt great!! Do you guys ship to Hawaii? Because I'm going to need some more for the shift in winds soon; I want to avoid that seasonal cold. - Megan
31. My family used to be sick constantly, and I do mean constantly. I read about Plague Defense and decided to give it a go. So glad! I've been diffusing it for four months now (at minimum - I do it when my three older boys get home from school), and we've had very few illnesses in our house (mostly just twinges, but then they are gone). In fact, a month in I had a sore throat and couldn't sleep. I gargled a drop with a bit of water (and then swallowed). My throat was instantly soothed and I was able to sleep. When I woke up, it was still there, so I did it again, and the pain was gone immediately and did not come back! Then, about a month ago, the school nurse called and said my kindergartener had come down with the stomach virus that had most of the K-kids out for an entire week. I brought him home and put him to bed, diffusing Plague Defense in his room as he slept. He woke up three hours later completely fine. I called the nurse and told her, and she was amazed. She even said that if no symptoms returned he could come back the next day (he went)! My toddler then threw up once that evening, and so I diffused in his room that night, and he woke up fine too. No one else caught it. I've also given it to friends who were visiting and brought a cold along with them. They were all instantly better and couldn't believe it. :) - Jocelyn
32. Poison Ivy got me with a vengeance and went systemic. Even though I knew about the oils I went the doctor route (after doing over-the-counter stuff). Prescriptions for this are very expensive! After about $200 and no success, it dawned on me to try the oils. I used Plague Defense simply because it is my favorite blend. The poison ivy dried up in just a couple of days.
33. My hubby was really coming down with something yucky earlier this week - just dragging and feeling that "sick" feeling, so I rubbed his feet with a combination of Plague Defense and Peppermint (for better smell - and headache relief) and he went to bed early. The next morning, we was almost as good as new! I'm a believer!!!! - Barb
34. I LOVE HEO's Plague Defense. It smells so good and everyone in my house is enjoying using it…which is great, since the kids are sick with less than a week to go on our 5th pregnancy! I used to "mix" my own with singles and/or purchase YL, but I am much happier with Linda's blend!!! - Christy
35. I have a friend who is having mold issues in her house and she is having a reaction to it. I took my diffuser and Plague Defense to her house yesterday. When I called today, she said she is feeling MUCH better - less brain fog, less coughing, etc. She is SOLD on essential oils and asked for a link to your website. Thank you!!! - Tonya
36. I alternated Plague Defense and Warrior on my kid's feet when they contracted Fifth's Disease this winter. They are 8 and 10 years old. It went rampant through their elementary school, and my kids never had any other symptoms (such as aches, fevers), and the duration was much shorter than most other children I know. - Tania
37. We have a very bad on-going issue with mold. What we were told by the mold expert is that mold can not be killed by bleach. Bleach only bleaches the color. He said to use whatever household cleaner or homemade solution or just soap and water and wipe the mold away. Any mold that cannot be wiped away or comes back in the same spot, means that the mold is coming from inside the wall board and the wall board must be removed. It means the mold is behind the wall. Most bathroom mold is from condensation on the walls, so it should wipe off. I diffuse Plague Defense in my moldy house as we remediate the moldy attic, bathroom, carpeting, etc. I feel it does help to keep the Plague Defense in the air, and I notice the difference if I keep the diffuser off. Plus, since I diffuse it every four hours around the clock, we have fewer colds. - Tammy
38. I just have to say: I have been fighting something off for the last couple of days. This morning I thought I was losing the battle. My throat, in particular, was raging. It was painful, swollen, scratchy, and I was losing my voice. Then the doorbell rang. My very first shipment of oils was delivered (I am a total newbie, and a skeptical one, at that.). I immediately sampled my Plague Defense, and I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. Within 15 minutes ALL of my sick symptoms were gone. ALL OF THEM. Is this for real?! God is so good! And I am grateful that I am finally learning how to use the gifts that He's given us in nature to nurture my family. Initially, I just smelled it. I have a VERY sensitive olfactory system, and I generally get headaches instantly from strong perfume-type scents. I had no headaches after a few minutes, AND I was already starting to feel better (just from smelling it! Seriously!). So, I rubbed some on my feet with a carrier oil and put on socks. Within 15 minutes I was feeling almost 100%. After 2 hours or so, I started to feel icky again, so I reapplied the oil. I did this periodically throughout the day. I also did this for my daughters because we have all been fighting the same thing. This morning everyone seems to be healthy! We do have a bit of a cough, but that's all! - Rachelle
39. For about the past 4 winters I came to expect a throat and sinus infection that puts me in complete misery for at least 3 weeks. I'm not sure what it is, because I've never been to the doctor for it (I think it could be tonsillitis), but my throat becomes excruciatingly sore, and I cough until I have no strength or voice left. I lose sleep because I can't breathe properly (and the coughing keeps me up), I go through boxes of tissues, my head throbs and sometimes it leaves me in tears. It's just completely awful, and it takes weeks to run its full course. I had tried every natural remedy I could think of, but eventually I got to the point where when I began to feel that soreness in my throat, I just surrendered to it and accepted my miserable fate for the next 3 weeks. Enter Plague Defense. I ordered some last summer. This past October, right on schedule, the infection feeling in my throat showed up. I started applying Plague Defense IMMEDIATELY. I wasn't going to fool around, so I applied it frequently (probably more often than I needed to). The infection feeling never elevated to more than a sore throat and went away after about 3 days. After what I've been through every year, for me this is nothing short of a MIRACLE. It's now mid-April, and I have not even had so much as a head cold ALL SEASON LONG. My husband and I live at a small monastic-style seminary where the community worships, eats and studies together every day. Everyone here (the students AND their families) has been sick at least once this winter except for me, and my husband has had one 2-day mild cold. I have shared my bottle of Plague Defense with a few other members of the community, and it has worked for them as well! I will never be without Plague Defense! In case anyone wonders, I usually take it by licking 1 drop off the back of my hand about every 3 or 4 hours until symptoms disappear. I also put it in a homemade breath spray that I use frequently every day, so I'm sure that has also contributed to warding off the bad bugs I encounter by daily living in a small community. Thank you, thank you, thank you Hopewell for Plague Defense! - Hannah
40. A 7-year-old nephew has had a terrible time with warts since he was very young. The doctors did all they knew to do, but the warts kept coming back. It was one of the worst cases I'd ever seen. Since my sister-in-law didn't have Oregano oil, I suggested she work with the Plague Defense she had. Long story cut short, she and her son smelled Plague Defense right out of the bottle a few times every day. After about 3 months, all of the warts are gone! The bonus is that my sister-in-law had 3 warts on her leg and they are gone, too! These oils are wonderful!
41. My 5 year old had 9 warts on one hand, and my 3 year old had one on a skin graft and one on a toe. I applied Plague Defense on each wart twice daily for about two weeks. All the warts are gone. My skeptical husband is now 100% on board! - Carissa
42. Yesterday I was having a headache, so I start reading and found that Plague Defense can help. Minutes after licking a smidgen off the back of my hand the headache was gone. I was so amazed. Thank God for EO'S. - Analau
43. The naturopath that introduced us to HEO recommended the Plague Defense applied neat to warts 3 times a day, it worked for my little one... After many traditional medical treatments failed. - Debra
44. I needed Plague Defense Spray for a trip to the hospital, so I put about 120 drops of EO and fill the rest of a 1oz spray with Everclear. It was great! - Cassy
45. The Plague Defense has lightened my cap, a front tooth, which must have been harboring some bacteria. One drop on the finger applied to the gum above it has done it. - Gail
46. A couple of weeks ago my brother came down with a nasty head cold. About five days later his wife caught it. Then my nephew (whom I babysit every day) caught it. Being a singer at church and being heavily involved in the children's ministry, I don't have time to be down with a virus, so I started diffusing Plague Defense every night. Yesterday I felt kind of sluggish. I was very sneezy, congested, I had sinus pressure, watery eyes, the works. Every time I would sneeze my throat would burn. Not wanting to take any chances, I asked my husband if he could use the roller bottle to apply some of the Warrior (which I have diluted in jojoba oil as the carrier) around my shoulder blade area. I did that and diffused Plague Defense while I slept. We also prayed for healing before I went to sleep! This morning I woke up and my nose was still stuffy, but then I sneezed and blew my nose and all congestion was gone! I don't have the sore throat or sinus pressure today either, praise the Lord! - Jennifer
47. I have used 3 different "thieves" blends. Plague Defense is my favorite. - Cammy
48. I love the smell of Plague Defense. Smells kinda like Christmas to me. - Dana
49. Our teenage son was sick this week; sweaty, sick teenaged boy... well... Plague Defense diffused in his room was lovely (and he woke up with his fever gone)! - Helen
50. After taking 8 rounds of antibiotics to treat a severe sinus infection, I began to look for another way to stay well. I began to research essential oils and have ordered some from different companies, but I was always leery about how to use them. Then I found Hopewell Essential Oils. I was impressed with the information you offer with each oil and how to use them. I feel much more confident about using them and making the best choice for what I need. I recently purchased Plague Defense which I tried on canker sores, and in 2 applications they were gone. I do appreciate your commitment to quality and providing information so that I can make the best choice for me and my family. - Margie
51. For a sore throat, I mix a drop of PD with a tsp carrier oil, then mix that with salt, then add warm water and gargle. That way you don't have to worry about the oil burning. It works wonderfully this way. - Dahlian
52. Plague Defense is wonderful! I've actually wanted to try the Thieves blend, but the price has deterred me. I've tried the doTerra blend, OnGuard, but I like Plague defense much better. - Emily
53. We have found great success in warding off sickness in our family using Plague Defense! With a family of 9, we have had the opportunity to fight 10 viruses over the past 6 months. In 9 out of the 10 viruses, only one person in the family got sick each time because as soon as we knew someone was getting sick, I started applying diluted Plague Defense 4-5 times a day on everyone. I apply it at the back of the neck, down the spine, on the belly, or on the bottoms of feet, rotating where I apply it each time. The last virus must have been a bigger flu that was harder to beat because 8 out of 9 of us got sick. I do feel like all of us were still helped quite a bit by using Plague Defense topically and Respiratory Relief diffused at night though, because many of us didn’t get as sick as we could have been. I did find one time when I wasn’t fighting one of the viruses off as well as I wanted in myself, that when I switched and started alternating Plague Defense with Warrior and Bacteria Top Gun, that I was finally able to get past it. I’m so thankful to the Lord for providing such a natural, precious way to take care of my family! - Katy
54. I am very thankful for Hopewell Essential Oils! I'm loving them. I have both YL and Hopwell oils and find myself digging for HEO, even when I have a bottle of YL sitting right there :) And I've gotta tell you... Plague Defense is amazing. I don't know if it has maybe more clove in it than Thieves, but we're finding it so much more effective. My husband puts a drop under his tongue every morning and has gone all winter without a cold. He started getting a toothache, used PD on his tooth and it was gone by the next morning. We went to the movies and two families sat behind us, coughing and sneezing all over the back of our heads. I oiled everyone up when we got home, no one got got "sick" but me and our toddler, and after one more oil-up, we were totally well. - Theresa
55. Plague Defense is amazing! I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat that kept me up most of the night. I gargled with a couple drops of plague defense in about 1/3 cup of water. This was enough to do it 3x. I swallowed the water each time. My throat was pain free almost immediately. I waited to write the testimony to see how long the relief lasted, and I'm happy to say that although my voice is raspy, I'm still pain free! - Sherri
56. I ordered some Plague Defense a few weeks ago and diffused it to tackle mold spores in our home. It worked wonderfully! We Praise God for leading us to this! We still have to eliminate the mold source (which is inside our old basement walls) but we are so thankful this helps until we can replace the basement. - Karla
57. My sister and I love Warrior and Plague Defense. We were the only ones not to get sick on a family vacation with the flu going around in our shared suite. My brother-in-law thinks we smell like Italian hoagies, but we don't care! Thanks :) - Ashley
58. I used Plague Defense throughout a 24-trip through South America and remained healthy while folks all around me were getting sick with respiratory illnesses and sore throats. Praise God! - Kathy
59. I have been having issues with a rash and swollen lymph nodes under my armpits from shaving and the all-natural deodorant I was using. Just to try it, I mixed about 1/2 TB extra-virgin olive oil with a drop of Plague Defense and rubbed it all over my hands and then under my armpits. It worked WONDERFULLY against my body odor all day long, and I didn't break out in a rash. My husband has now begun using it the same way and loves it. If the dilution is too hot, I just add more olive oil. - Kristi
60. Wow friends, I put Plaque Defense and Eucalyptus radiata in the Whisper diffuser tonight! There was about a 1/4 left of a 15ml Plaque Defense bottle, and then I put in 20 drops of Eucalyptus radiata. We had instant nose clearing and it smells so good! We currently have a bothersome cough and virus going on in our house. - Bobbie.
61. When I diffused Plague Defense while pregnant, I would get contractions. It did not bother me if I applied it to the bottoms of my feet. - Emily
62. My son had strep throat last weekend and I was so nervous that I'd catch it. Wednesday morning I woke up with a sore throat and thought I was done for. I took Plague Defense in a veggie cap in the morning, at noon and in the evening. I also rubbed diluted Bacteria Top Gun over my throat every 3 hours or so. I woke up Thursday with NO sore throat!! I am so thankful for Hopewell EO's! - Kristi
[HEO's Safety Comment: See our note above under "Application Suggestions," Internal, and also below in the Safety information.]
63. My mom was struggling with a sinus infection and cough - basically the crud. I got her Plaque Defense from Hopewell Essential Oils. She put one drop of it on a leather necklace and stopped coughing immediately. She then diffused it and felt much better within 24 hours. - Cindy
64. I've had chronic sinus infections for several years now and have become accustomed to just taking antibiotics several times a year, sometimes back-to-back, to get rid of them. I thought I'd try Plague Defense to see if that would help. Taking probiotics and putting Plague Defense over the infected sinus several times a day is enough to rid the infection within 1-2 days. I haven't had to go to the doctor for 3-4 years now for a sinus infection. I started developing an ear infection a few weeks ago while out of town and only had Plague Defense on me so I tried that. The ear pain was completely gone the next morning. Thank you for your products, they've saved me so much time and money! - Kim
65. My friend and her daughter who uses your oils came to visit me. During her stay, I got very sick. While they spent the week with us, she used Plague Defense on me and my children as well as her and her daughter. No one else in the house got sick, as I believe that the oils protected them. I also noticed that I was getting better while using the oil. When she left and I no longer had access to the oil, I relapsed. I could tell a difference in my immune system when I was using the oil. I soon ordered my own. We have been with friends with stomach bugs and exposed to all kinds of things, and we have stayed well. I put diluted Plague Defense on my children's wrists all throughout the day and on their feet at night, and it truly is amazing. God really uses it to keep my kids well. I am so thankful for your products and your ministry. - Jessica
66. DIY Plague Defense Spray: 2oz glass spray bottle with 1 tsp witch hazel, 15-20 drops Plague Defense, distilled water to fill bottle. I also added a few drops of lemon. Good for general disinfectant purposes and hopefully effective against the bugs if necessary! - Jeannie
67. I used Plague Defense for the first time on my two-year-old son. He woke up early this morning vomiting. It continued throughout the morning, often he would not wake to vomit. It was scary, and I was constantly watching him to help him get up when he started to get sick. He was incredibly lethargic, no appetite and did not want to drink. I rubbed Plague Defense on his feet. When he woke a few hours later, he was cranky but more aware than he had been. He started drinking, and before I knew it, he was playing and back to his old self. I don't think it's coincidence, as this has been lasting at least 24 hours in all of the people we know who have had it. I am amazed and will keep our house stocked with Plague Defense! Thank you! - Sarah
[HEO's Comment: We are so happy to hear of the dramatic results Sarah had with Plague Defense, but we also want to encourage moms of young children to consider a milder, yet very effective blend more suitable for children: Immune Support.]
68. Plague Defense was my first introduction to Hopewell's Oils 5 years ago, and of all the flus, colds, infections, sore throats that have tried to gain access to my body, I have only succumbed to one, and that was shortened by continuing to put a drop of Plague Defense under my tongue, yet friends had the same flu symptoms for 2 weeks. I always carry a tiny sample bottle in my purse, along with Peppermint USA oil for migraines. These 2 oils are a gift from God and have definitely improved my quality of life. - Kalinda
[HEO's comment: Kalinda didn't mention if she diluted the Plague Defense. Without adequate dilution, this *hot* blend might irritate the tender tissues in the mouth.]
69. After finding black mold in our home, we fogged our air vents with a product called Moldzyme. It worked. You fog it in with a paint sprayer. When we fogged our ducts we had to put enough through to come out all of the vents. I am wondering if EO would damage surfaces in that quantity. Moldzyme is almost odor free. I am so sensitive to odors that it was better for me than something that would linger. The company can be found on the web, and they are very helpful with knowing how to use their product. My testing of it's efficacy was that I was no longer ill in my own home, which was good enough for me. It was awful, and we had a hard time tracking down why. We applied Moldzyme everywhere that that we found the mold. We had it in an exterior wall because of a gutter problem. The water had gotten behind the siding and run under the house soaking the insulation and duct work. Moldzyme is what finally ended our nightmare. Aside from Black Mold, hurricanes and tropical storms really stir up mold. Years ago my allergist told me that mold spores can be stirred up by these storms and transported hundreds of miles inland because they are so light. I talked to my Mom in Florida this morning, and she and my Dad were coughing and horribly congested in their chests [due to hurricane Hermine 2016]. I suggested that they diffuse Germ Buster to kill the mold in the air and breathe Lung Support right from the bottle.- Lana
70. I had never taken any EO internally and had never planned to, but a trusted friend (who has been safely using EOs for years with her large family) said that HEO's Plague Defense is high-quality enough to be used orally in tiny amounts. And I have to say, after diluting a drop in coconut oil and taking orally, my congestion cleared up within hours, whereas applying it to my feet, chest and sinuses for two days had done nothing. I certainly won't make a habit of it but I don't regret doing it. :) - Lindsay
71. My mother found then-Heritage Oils while doing some research on mold a few years ago. Plague Defense was my first introduction to your products. I had a little shop in an old moldy building for a while, and I could always tell if I forgot to bring my diffuser with Plague Defense. My brain would get cloudy, but I'd be clearer and feel better when I brought my oils. It is a staple in my cabinet, both for diffusing as well as topically on the bottoms of feet when we've been around illness. Before we got married, my husband used some that I sent him and managed to escape the sicknesses going around his office right before our wedding. We were very thankful for that!: -) God is so good to us in the little details as well as the great things. It is so wonderful how He uses the smallest details to bring us to see and wonder and His greatness! - Savannah
72. I am an EMT and have gone back to school for nursing. In my microbiology class I got to experiment with essential oils for their germ killing qualities. I rubbed my hands on the floor to make sure they are good and nasty, touched them to petrie dish, then washed each finger with a different oil and touched that to the other side of dish. (I did this more than once).
Colloidal silver killed about half.
Cleansing oil, not so much - killed some.
Tea Tree did pretty well - only 2 colonies.
Clove, Plague Defense, Top Gun and Warrior killed EVERYTHING. Pristine dish - like I didn't do experiment. That was COOL. There are still so many in medical community that DON'T believe in the oils, but I do and I'm looking forward to putting them into practice however I can as a nurse. I read the comments from the nurse about Strength and Clove for stick sites, and I'm looking forward to practicing with those. - Margo
73. I've found that inhaling Plague Defense works great when I get a sore throat. I just put a diluted drop on the plams of my hands, rub together, cup and inhale through my mouth a few times. Sore throat pain is usually gone after a couple inhalations. - Teresa
74. Our family went camping, and I got bitten by a spider. After 2 days the site got ugly looking, and visions of "brown recluse" kept running through my head. Last night I applied Plague Defense, and the ugly, red swelling reduced within an hour. Thank you, Linda! - Tina
75. I have had an ongoing bed bug infestation at my house. They are in our bedding, carpets, everywhere. I have spent hundreds of dollars trying different things to get rid of them. I have even had the place seam sprayed a couple times. A while back I bought a diffuser and some Plague Defense. This is the only thing that has worked! The room where the diffuser is running is free of bed bugs! I am buying more diffusers, so I can treat several rooms in my house at the same time. I am referring any of my clients who have bug problems to you guys, because this works! - Kathleen
76. Last night my throat hurt so bad I wished I could swallow an ice pack! I put Plague Defense on my neck and diffused it while I slept. I have zero pain this morning! - Heather
77. I love these oils! My husband's grandfather passed away night before last. Yesterday when I walked into the house I could hardly stand the smell. My mother-in-law said: "This house really stinks!" He had been on hospice for several years and had basically not left the house. It was bad. I immediately came back to my house and got my 2 diffusers. I diffused Plague Defense with extra Lemon and Orange. The effect was immediate! She just texted me how much better it smelled this morning. I'm going back now to load them up again. My aunt was worried when she walked in because she is sensitive to artificial fragrances. But these didn't bother her at all. She wants a diffuser now too. So thankful for natural oils that really work! - Anita
78. I have the flu or bad cold for the second time. Last night I read all the comments about treating a cough because I could not go to sleep. I began diffusing Plague Defense and put Vicks and Plague Defense on my inner thighs. I fell asleep quickly. It felt like magic! - Sandy
79. I make an incredible Sore Throat Spray that EVERYBODY loves.
Sore Throat Spray Recipe
1 1/2 tsp. Vodka
1 tsp. honey
10 drops Plague Defense Essential Oil Blend [HEO's Comment: 7 drops falls within Tisserand/Young's safe-use limit]
5 drops Peppermint essential oil
5 drops Lemon essential oil
2 drops Stevia
Purified Water (to fill to the shoulder of the 2oz dark glass spray bottle)
Spray 3-4 squirts on the back of throat for soothing relief. - Christy
79. Due to numerous fires here in Oregon, the smoke has badly affected the air quality. We've found that diffusing Plague Defense is very helpful. - Christa