It is important to avoid UV (sunshine) light while the wound heals or the new pigmentation will be permantely darkened.
Schnaubelt's After Surgery Formula
1 part Everlasting (Helichrysum italicum)
15 parts Rosehip seed oil
84 parts Hazelnut or other base oil
Dr. Schnaubelt states: "This is one of the most surprising remedies aromatherapy has to offer. After surgery, including cosmetic surgery, the mixture can be applied to the scar starting about one week after the operation. Recoveries have been phenomenal. This same mixture also works to regenerate old scar tissue and cheloids. It needs to be applied once or twice a day for about 3-6 months to expect significant results."
1. When my mother had knee surgery, I blended MYRRH (8 drops), LAVENDER (6 drops), HELICHRYSUM (4 drops) and SANDALWOOD (2 drops). The Doctor and staff were all amazed when they removed the staples. There was no redness or swelling at the surgical site at all. I looked at the site about a month later, and I could hardly tell where the incision had been.
2. I developed a staph infection after my knee replacement surgery. It was unbearably itchy and had a rash. I used Heritage's GOLDEN SALVE, which is loaded with great stuff such as mink oil, lecithin, lanolin, sesame seed oil, wheat germ oil and essential oils: Rosewood, Palmarosa, Geranium, Patchouli, Balsam Fir, Myrrh, Carrot Seed oil, Tea Tree and Rose Hip Seed oil. Not only did it eradicate my staph infection very quickly (I avoided anti-biotics!), but it also kept my incision moist and prevented any scarring.
3. I had a bad scar on my hand from an old wound and decided to start using HELICHRYSUM on it several times daily. I was really surprised when it appeared to be fading away. It really disappeared, and even after I stopped applying the Helichrysum, it never came back.
4. I've had thyroid surgery, a C-section and treated my dad for knee replacement surgeries, none of which scarred, nor did they form scar tissue under the incision. Doctor's comments were such as, "What are you doing to this incision? Whatever it is, keep doing it. You are doing great and there is absolutely no scar tissue forming!" or "What are you putting on this scar? It's only been a week and it's totally healed with zero scar tissue! I need to find out your secret!" My experience with scars and scar tissue lead me to reach for: ROSE, HELICHRYSUM, FIR, HYSSOP, CYPRESS, SANDALWOOD, FRANKINCENSE, CEDARWOOD, GALBANUM, MYRRH, CISTUS, ELEMI and LAVENDER
5. My surgery a couple years ago left me with an ugly 8-inch dark purple scar. I decided to try some oils on it, so I very faithfully applied the following twice daily, and after three months I didn't have a trace of that scar. I used: FRANKINCENSE, HELICHRYSUM, MOTHERHOOD, LAVENDER, CLEANSING, and HYSSOP with Vitamin E oil to cover it. I always covered it with a piece of cotton t-shirt so it would stay moist all night long.
6. A client had an emergency hysterectomy, which left her with a raised, angry-red scar and some infection within the tissues. The pain was very intense making it hard for her to even stand straight and function normally. I blended 20 drops each of HELICHRYSUM, SANDALWOODS and TEA TREE in a 30ml bottle of Jojoba for her to apply at home. I used a single drop each of Sandalwood and Helichrysum on the scar and used a cross-grain massage to gently release adhesions. When she arose from the table, she could stand straight and was in much less pain. She used the blend I gave her all week, and the following week when I saw her, she reported feeling much better. I repeated the gentle massage to release adhesions, which felt substantially decreased in size. She continued with self application of the blend, and two weeks later the wound had flattened, the scar lessoning in appearance to a thin pink line. She reported that her mobility was fully restored. A month later the incision line was a thin, hard to see line with no movement restriction.
7. I used HELICHRYSUM italicum diluted in cold pressed ROSE HIP SEED OIL to treat some major surgical scarring. I also had internal adhesions, and much to my surprise, I found that the internal scarring became much less bothersome and my range of motion increased. - Cindy
8. I had an incredible experience after life-saving emergency surgery. When I was released from the hospital a few days later, I applied a drop of Vitamin E and HELICHRYSUM onto my scar and rubbed it in morning and night. My pain was reduced by half after the first application, and reduced 75% by the second. I stopped taking the narcotics and was shocked that the internal pain was virtually gone.
9. I wanted to let you know the HELICHRYSUM BLEND and the COMFREY/CALENDULA SALVE has worked wonders for my scar after hip surgery. I still have a scar, but the top of it is hardly there, the bulk of the scar in the middle is decreasing. So needless to say, I ordered more and I may have to have the other hip done so I will be using this kind of "forever." I use a few drops with the salve and just love it. Thank you for your help. - Carly
10. I had open heart surgery in January to replace my aortic valve and was cut 9 inches in the center of my chest from my collarbone downward. I purchased SCAR BUTTER and added the recommended drops of oils ( found in the Scar Butter product description ) for new scars. I apply this to my scar and massage it as well as the scars from the tubes and IV's twice each day. I am ten weeks out from my surgery and just have a faint line left on my chest! My friends and family can hardly believe my surgery was such a short time ago! Thank you for your products. - Donna
11. SEABUCKTHORN BERRY and FRANKINCENSE are the two oils I've used for a scar from a cut from 15 years ago that was having all sorts of problems even in the past year. I've been using Seabuckthorn with JOJOBA oil, and I've been surprised at how great it looks after a week. I was actually treating my rosacea so I wasn't even expecting any help with the scar. - Leslie
12. I have significant scarring on the sides of my face (in front of my ears and down my jawline). I have been using HEO's FACE NOURISHMENT HEALING for about a month, and it has been helping. I use it at night before going to bed. I wash my face and neck, then leave my skin just a little damp. I find that this helps spread the oils better (and it feels nice!). I also have a scar on my neck from a thyroidectomy several years ago that is also looking better. :) - Rachelle
13. I had a hysterectomy three weeks ago. I am putting FRANKINCENSE and LAVENDER in grape seed oil and rubbing it on the incisions. They are healing well AND it stopped the itching. - Jackie
14. I used HELICHRYSUM BLEND and BLUE TANSY with virgin coconut oil and a little Rose Hip Seed oil. We were very pleased with the results. - Marge
15. I use a roll on of MYRRH, FRANKINCENSE, SANDALWOOD and HELICHRYSUM, and I can't believe how much my scar tissue (breast cancer surgery) has gone down. - Jen
16. Living in the tropics where skin cancer abounds along with gardening accidents with sharp tools and ocean-related accidents (both of which have resulted in many nasty Staph infections for me, Hopewell's SCAR SUPPORT blend has been such a blessing to me in healing many scars to smooth skin!! Thank you Hopewell Oils for all your research and wonderful oils. - Kalinda
Schnaubelt, Kurt, Aromatherapy Lifestyle: Science-Based Self Medicine with Essential Oils, Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy, 2004.