- Severe and sudden sore throat without coughing, sneezing or other cold symptoms.
- Pain or difficulty swallowing.
- Fever over 101 degrees. (Lower fevers may indicate viral infections not strep, although it is possible to have strep with no fever.)
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck.
- White or yellow spots or coating on the throat and tonsils.
- Bright red throat or dark red spots on the roof of the mouth at the back near the throat.
- Swollen tonsils, although this symptom may also be caused by a viral infection.
Mononucleosis can cause a severe sore throat that looks like and has symptoms similar to those of strep throat.
"My doctor told me how to assess if the sore throat is viral or strep or tonsilitis. If the back of the throat is smooth and shiny, it is strep or tonsilitis. If the back of the throat has white bumps it is viral." - Marilyn
Strep is a bacterial infection, and Hopewell Essential Oil’s Top Gun is an excellent choice for strep. Warrior is great and has a proven track record, but the oils in Top Gun are noted to be the top six oils for fighting bacteria infections like strep, MRSA, E. Coli, H. Pylori, Salmonella and whooping cough. For more information contrasting the differences between viral and bacterial infections, click here.
Scarlet fever can develop, which is evident by a skin rash that spreads over the neck and chest and eventually over the whole body. The rash feels rough like sandpaper.
Rheumatic fever occurs when the body over-reacts to a strep infection and starts attacking itself. It has a number of different symptoms, but the one we worry about most is damage to the valves in the heart. It’s hard to find statistics about rheumatic fever—because it almost never happens (from the article by Dr. Chad Hayes linked below).
Treating Strep with Antibiotics by Chad Hayes MD
“Researchers have found that some essential oils, Oregano, Thyme and Rosewood oils, in particular, create an autolytic reaction in organisms, including Streptococcus pneumonia. Dr. Diane Horne of Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, told the 98th general assemble of the America Society of Microbiology about the serendipitous discovery of the impact of the oils on cells such as Streptococcus pneumonia.” - Mercola.com
The following was shared with us by Lana, a Health Care Professional
1. I swabbed my throat with Lavender and it healed very quickly.
2. My 3-year-old son was diagnosed with strep throat, and naturally the doctor prescribed antibiotics. But I never filled it. I used diluted Plague Defense on his feet 3-4 times a day. I used Peppermint on his feet for the fever, which I only had to use once because the fever reduced very quickly. When we returned to the doctor 2 days later, she as amazed that there was not a sign of the infection at all.
3. Plague Defense Spray and Plague Defense on the bottoms of feet several times a day in the mouth works very well for strep throat.
4. I diffused Warrior in my daughter’s bedroom and applied to the bottoms of her feet several times a day. She got over it very quickly.
5. My teenage daughter got very sick: swollen tonsils, white patches on her throat and tonsils, headache, high fever. I applied a bunch of oils on her spine (Rosemary, Peppermint, Birch, Warrior), forced her to drink 8 oz. of water every 3 hours and gave her Super C every 6 hours. She gargled with Hopewell’s Plague Defense Mouthwash every 3 hours as well. We alternately diffused Lung Support, Respiratory Relief and Purify in her room all day and night. She took Warrior by capsule, rubbed diluted Warrior or Plague Defense on her throat and sprayed her throat inside with Plague Defense Spray. In just over 24 hours the white patches were gone, and in 4 days she felt completely well! I can’t tell you how thankful I am for these wonderful oils!!!
6. My son, according to the doctor’s diagnosis, had strep throat and monocytes in his blood. I refused to fill the antibiotic (which literally means “against life”) and instead did the following to encourage his body to fight. I filled 00 capsules with diluted Warrior three times daily, rubbed diluted Plague Defense on his throat, and sprayed Plague Defense Spray back into his throat. I rubbed Warrior and Thyme on his feet. I also made up capsules of Immunition and gave those to him three times daily in between the Warrior capsules. I made him drink ½ his body weight in ounces of filtered water with fresh-squeezed lemon. He was well in less than a week.
7. My son was diagnosed with mono and had pus in this throat, and it was gone in 2 days after we treated him with three capsules daily of Warrior.
8. We used the Plague Defense Spray among other oils on my daughter’s feet. She said the spray burned, so I added more carrier oil, but it didn’t last long, and nor did the strep!
9. I had strep last week and applied Plague Defense topically on the bumps in the back of my throat. Within 4 days it was completely gone! I was not in anymore pain, and the bumps diminished to nothing. Amazing! - K.C.
10. Our family struggled with recurring strep infections for months until we did the following:
1) We followed the strict GAPS diet while we had the infection
2) Emptied probiotic powder (Bio-Kult) on our tongues after meals and right before bedtime to repopulate the throat with good bacteria
3) Took fermented cod liver oil/butter oil (Green Pasture Cinnamon Tingle)
4) Gargled 1 drop of Plague Defense in water several time daily, then swallowed
5) Alternated Warrior and Top Gun on the bottoms of feet
My health care practitioner gave me this recipe:
12 oz filtered water at room temperature
1 TB hydrogen peroxide
4 tinctures of 2% iodine (Walgreens)
~ DO NOT SWALLOW ~ Gargle every 20 minutes until the mixture is gone.
11. This is what I did to quickly get past my strep throat:
Drink lots of pure water
High water content fruits and veggies
1 TB Apple Cider Vinegar (organic/raw) + 1 TB raw Honey + 1 cup pure water - throughout the day
Colloidal Silver as directed on the bottle
Oregano essential oil - 1 drop in water gargled (avoid the lips!)
15. All three of our children got strep throat, and I treated them with lots of homemade kombucha, bedrest, Top Gun (applied diluted to bottoms of feet and gentle back massage 3x daily), Plague Defense (those that could gargled then swallowed multiple times daily), bone broth soups with lots of fresh garlic and lots of vitamin C (to bowel tolerance). They did fine. Research shows that people who treat strep with antibiotics have much higher rates of recurrence, and we've seen this to be true. I'm so thankful for the oils and natural healing methods. - Candice
16. So grateful for Top Gun! My daughters and I got strep in December and did the traditional route of antibiotics. Amoxicillian caused my oldest daughter to break out in a terrible rash that lasted a week. So, I invested in several antibiotic EO options. When my husband came down with strep this week, we started Top Gun right away on soles of his feet and gargling with Plague Defense, and he recovered quickly. He was back on his feet in 24 hours. Keeping him on it for the rest of the week, knowing that standard practice is a 10 day dose of antibiotics for strep. - Julie
17. Don't use antibiotics if you can help it. They will only cause repeated cases of strep throat along with all the yeast imbalance caused by them. Put yourself on a liquid diet of bone/meat broths, fresh vegetable juices and lots of filtered water. Get enough sleep/rest. Use Thyme, Oregano, Lemon, Cypress or Top Gun, which is effective against strep. If you don't have any EO's, I use Zand Insure Herbal. That worked very well for my 3 typical sons. They were well in a day or so. The one with Scarlet Fever took another day to recover, but all were well in 3 days with nothing but good diet, lots of rest, and Insure Herbal. You can also take 40,000 - 50,000 IU's of vitamin A/day for about 2 or 3 days with no toxicity, and it will help to support your immune system. If you can, get an herbal antibacterial spray onto the back of your throat; propolis will help keep the herbs there for a longer time. These are antibacterial herbs: goldenseal, oregon grape, algerita, plantain (baicalin), myrrh, wireweed, so look for throat lozenges or sprays that contain those and try to get them onto the back of your throat. You could also make goldenseal tea (and might I add a big YUCK! to that flavor) and gargle it and/or sip it several times a day. Hang tight, but remember with herbs to hit hard, and hit early and be consistent for a couple of weeks in treating it. Also, the key to herbs is getting rest and staying hydrated. Hopefully you won't have to resort to antibiotics, but if you do, then make sure you rebalance your good bacteria for at least 6 months of intensive probiotics afterwards. - Jayme
18. I became a diehard believer when EOs cleared up my strep throat in 2 days. I was surprised myself! Found 5-6 white patches in my throat one afternoon, rubbed Top Gun on my feet and throat then and again before bed. Only had ONE white patch left when I awoke the next morning! I usedTop Gun 3 times during that day, and by evening, I had no white patches and my sore throat was almost completely gone the following morning. - Nicki
19. Although it wasn't confirmed with a test, I'm certain that we've kicked strep here at least twice, and probably more, just by using Plague Defense mixed with coconut oil directly onto the back of the throat. I have a tube from a dropper that lost its bulb that I use to apply it with. It is very hot by itself, and depending on who is being dosed, I usually have to follow it with more coconut, but it makes a huge difference. We also apply Warrior to the outside of the throat and diffuse Plague Defense in the room. - Rita