Varicose Veins and/or Spider Veins
Abnormal swelling of veins is a symptom of a generally poor circulatory system, with a loss of elasticity in the walls of the veins and particularly in their valves. When they are functioning normally, these valves prevent blood from flowing back (away from the heart), but if their efficiency decreases, some blood may stagnate in the vein, which then becomes swollen and twisted, causing aching and abnormal fatigue of the legs. The tendency for the valves to fail in this way is sometimes inherited, but the main causes are prolonged standing, poor nutrition and obesity - often a combination of two of more of these factors. Pregnancy may also cause the onset of varicose veins due to the increased weight, and pressure, in the pelvic area.
Essential oils are noted to help improve the general tone of veins. Cypress is one of the most important oils for strengthening the veins along with Helichrysum and Geranium.
Apply in the direction of the heart, from the foot and up the leg. Gentle application is important, as deep massage is not appropriate with this condition.
For a particularly troublesome spot, it is recommended to apply the oil above the troubled spot (toward the heart), not below it. We want to target the troublesome area and upward to facilitate blood flow toward the heart, so perhaps if there is an issue in that spot, we are not aggravating the problem by creating circulation below it. As an example that we may be better able to relate to: If you are combing out your daughter's hair, and she has a bad tangle, you work it out gently from the bottom rather than the top, which would only make it worse.
Garlic capsules are a good way to strengthen the circulatory system. Garlic in the diet is great as well.
Herbs showns to be effective to relieve varicose veins:
Horse Chestnut, Gotu Kola, Butcher's Broom and Collinsonia canadensis, also known as stone root. The action of Collinsonia on varicosities has been well known for more than 100 years. In the 1919 book The American Materia Medica, Therapeutics and Phamacognosy, Finley Ellingwood, M.D. writes, "[Collinsonia] is a specific remedy for hemorrhoids. If they are of recent origin they can be cured in a comparatively short time... The most intractable cases will be relieved and permanently benefitted by its persistent use. There is no therapeutic influence more reliable than this. I have relied upon it for years." Standard Process manufactures an excellent Collinsonia Root.
Gentle exercise is typically helpful.
It may take months to notice improvement. Perseverance with consistent daily application may be necessary.
The West Coast Institute of Aromatherapy suggests these oils to help restore circulation to areas with varicose veins:
Clinical aromatherapist Valerie Worwood notes these oils to be helful for varicose veins:
Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
Roman Chamomile (Anthem is nobilis)
German Chamomile (Matricaria recutita)
Niaouli (Melaleuca quinquenervia)
Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
Spearmint (Mentha spicata)
Lemon (Citrus limon)
Juniperberry (Juniperus communis)
Varicose Vein Massage Oil (by Worwood)
10 drops Cypress
10 drops Geranium
5 drops Lemon
5 drops Peppermint
Blend the essential oils together then dilute 3-5 drops to each teaspoon (5ml) of carrier oil.
1. My husband had huge veins (this runs in his family) on the back of his calves. He applied HELICHRYSUM BLEND one day and CYPRESS the next day, alternating for the next two week, and by then you could not even see them!
2. I used CIRCULATION for my varicose veins with great success.
3. My mother gets what we call “blown” blood vessels, and we use these different essential oils for them.
We put 1-2 drops on each blown vessel, 2-3 (or more) daily. After a few days, they are usually gone.
4. I’ve found that HELICHRYSUM BLEND helps with pain and healing of my varicose veins.
5. You can almost see HELICHRYSUM BLEND work right before your eyes on veins. It is amazing! I’ve also see it work on a bad bruise caused by an accident. The bruise may take longer to disappear, but the pain and swelling disappear quickly.
6. I’ve had tremendous success using CIRCULATION and CYPRESS for varicose veins! My worst veins were in the crotch, but after applying these oils during every visit to the bathroom, my veins are back to normal – no more pain; not even a trace!
8. I used your GERANIUM, HELICHRYSUM, BIRCH and CYPRESS toward the end of my 7th pregnancy on some really sore and aching veins. After just a few applications, I felt much better. Eventually, I didn't even think of using it because the veins stopped aching. [8 Geranium, 3 Helichrysum, 2 Birch, 2 Cypress]
9. Your GERANIUM, HELICHRYSUM, BIRCH and CYPRESS helped me so much during my last pregnancy. It's great! [8 Geranium, 3 Helichrysum, 2 Birch, 2 Cypress]
10. I have been alternating PLAGUE DEFENSE and CYPRESS oils on the soles of my feet. I have found that the discomfort I had been experiencing from having to stand for 8 hours/day, often 3-4 successive days, has disappeared. Also, the varicose veins which gave me concern on one leg are almost non-existent now.
11. My varicose veins really start bothering me when I'm pregnant. It's not just my size, but I believe it's hormonal. When I apply CIRCULATION to the veins, they get a lot better.
12. I have varicose veins on the back of my knees and upper calves since my pregnancies. They often feel achy. I tried your CIRCULATION directly on the veins, then PEPPERMINT. I feel immediate relief from the aching, and this relief lasts for several hours. The appearance of the veins is also improved.
13. My mother and grandmother both had troublesome varicose veins. I started noticing my legs getting the "road map" or blue cords all over upper and lower legs before I was 35 years old. Sometimes they are painful and so tiring. I read about applying LEMONGRASS for veins and started applying a mixture of 1 part Lemongrass to 4 parts massage oil. Within minutes my legs feel invigorated, and the aching disappears. After a couple of months of using this at least twice daily, the actual veins have diminished significantly.
14. For my aching varicose veins I used the following oils nightly just as I got into bed: LAVENDER, PEPPERMINT, BIRCH [Linda's comment - see PAIN-X]. Consistent application and the veins have all but disappeared in 3 weeks!
15. Two years after my last pregnancy I still had some varicose veins on one leg (on my shin and behind my knee). While they didn't bulge out, they were still quite vivid and noticeable. I have been applying CAJEPUT generously with a carrier oil for about one month; sometimes twice a day, sometimes once a day or not at all. Even without diligently applying it, they are barely visible! I am now faithfully applying it twice a day to be ready for summer. This is one more example of essential oils helping my family in a real way, and I am thankful for HEO's information and the availability of so many oils. - Erin
16. I used GERANIUM, HELICHRYSUM, BIRCH and CYPRESS samples the day I received them, and I woke up the next morning without pain for the first time in a month! [8 Geranium, 3 Helichrysum, 2 Birch, 2 Cypress] - Jennifer
Another product that may help:
Another substance shown to be effective in the treatment of varicose veins is the herb Collinsonia canadensis, also known as stone root. The action of this herb on varicosities has been well known for more than 100 years. In the 1919 book The American Materia Medica, Therapeutics and Phamacognosy, Finley Ellingwood, M.D. writes, "[Collinsonia] is a specific remedy for hemorrhoids. If they are of recent origin they can be cured in a comparatively short time... The most intractable cases will be relieved and permanently benefitted by its persistent use. There is no therapeutic influence more reliable than this. I have relied upon it for years." Standard Process manufactures an excellent Collinsonia Root.
Worwood, Valerie, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, 2016, pages 200-201, 266-267.