Fractionated Coconut Oil, USA
Shelf Life - indefinite
Many people are familiar with whole coconut oil which is a solid at room temperature but do not have experience with Fractionated or Light Coconut oil. This is truly a great carrier (fixed) oil product. All carrier oils consist of a class of molecules called fatty acid triglycerides which means they contain three, long-chain fatty ester groups. Most plant-derived carrier oils consist entirely of what are called "unsaturated" fatty acid triglycerides, which means they have one or more carbon-carbon double bonds in their long fatty ester side chains which are typically 16 to 20+ carbon units long. The double bonds in these side chains are susceptible to oxidation over time and their reactions with oxygen are what produce the rancid odor that you may have noticed in your carrier oils when they get a few months old. Whole coconut oil also has some long unsaturated fatty acid triglycerides (which is why it is a solid at room temperature).
This coconut oil is special in that it has a relatively high percentage of shorter length, completely saturated (no double bonds) triglycerides, and these smaller fatty acid triglycerides are separated from the whole coconut oil to give us what is known as "Fractionated Coconut Oil." It is useful as a carrier oil since it facilitates the absorption of essential oils. It is also antiseptic and a disinfectant. Since fractionation raises the comparative concentration of capric acid and caprylic acid, it also has more antioxidant properties than virgin coconut oil.
We tend to use fractionated Coconut oil with oils where aroma is the main objective. For products to aid in skin issues or pain blends, we will choose a carrier with properties that address the issue. When we create a spray, we may use a combination of thicker carrier oils and fractionated Coconut oil to help thin the blend for ease of spraying/application.
The separation process is non-chemical and involves a simple physical separation process so there are no chemical residues to worry about. There are many advantages to Fractionated Coconut Oil including the following:
1. It remains liquid down to very low temperatures.
2. Because it has no double bonds, there are no sites for oxidation and thus never goes rancid. The oil has essentially an infinite shelf life.
3. Because it consists completely of saturated fatty acid side chains, it's more like animal fat and absorbs more readily into the skin making it ideal for massage therapy.
4. It is antiseptic and a disinfectant.
5. Washes out of sheets very easily with no staining.
6. An ideal product for natural perfumers who don't want to use alcohol as a carrier. Because it is the lightest of all the carrier oils, it will spray through a pump sprayer with ease. This also makes it handy for massage therapists as they can spray on their massage blends with ease.
7. Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth without a greasy feeling.
8. Completely soluble with all essential oils and compatible with soaps.
9. Hopewell Fractionated Coconut Oil is colorless, odorless and Kosher/Food Grade. Our Fractionated Coconut Oil is truly one of the best multi-purpose carrier oil products on the market. If you haven't already used it, we highly recommend giving it a try.
Coconut oil is NOT hypoallergenic - some people may experience a reaction to it, so if you have not used it before, it is wise to test on a small patch of skin on the forearm before applying on larger areas. If redness, rash or itching develop, it is a sign of a potential allergy to it.