Autism is a neurologically based developmental disorder that is four times more common in boys than girls. Characteristics of autism are:
- Nonverbal and/or verbal communication difficulties
- Social issues
- Repetitive behavior (rocking, hair twirling)
- Limited and/or peculiar interests
- Reduced or abnormal responses to pain, noises and so on
- Self-injurious behavior (head banging)
Diet may be a key to ameliorating cases of autism. Replacing high glycemic sweeteners like sugar with low-glycemic sweeteners like stevia, has produced outstanding results in numerous cases of autism.
Autism has been linked to certain vaccinations, the MMR being most often cited by researchers. Until very recently, children were receiving large doses of mercury (from thimerosal, a vaccine preservative that contains 49.6% mercury) that were well above the limit recommended by the EPA, through vaccination. Some have experienced success in reversing autism through mercury detoxification along with nutritional supplementation.
Deadly Immunity, a sobering article by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Talk About Curing Autism - resourceful website. Click on Family Resources.
Scents Reduce Autism Symptoms, Study Finds
"UC Irvine researchers have discovered that stimulating the senses of autistic children - including their sense of smell - can greatly reduce symptoms of the disorder, which affects one in 88 children in the United States. Professor Michael Leon and assistant project scientist Cynthia Woo found soothing scents such as vanilla, lavender and lemon and other types of sensory stimuli yield significant improvements compared with traditional therapies."
Some researchers believe that gastrointestinal disorders may be linked to the brain dysfunctions that cause autism in children (Horvath et al., 1998). In fact, there have been several cases of successful treatment of autism using pancreatic enzymes.
In Autism, the Importance of the Gut by Danielle Elliot (The Atlantic, June 10, 2013)
Monsanto's Glyphosate and Autism: A Possible Link?
Excellent Nutrition Information PDF by Dana Laake, RDH, MS, LDNPhenol-sulfotransferase (PST) Phase II Enzyme and Autism
Stimulation of the limbic region of the brain may also help address issues associated with autism. Aromas from essential oils have a powerful ability to stimulate this part of the brain since the sense of smell (olfaction) is tied directly into the mind's emotional and hormonal centers. Therefore, the aroma of an essential oil has the potential to exert a powerful influence on disorders such as ADD and autism.
Essential oils noted to stimulate the limbic region of the brain:
Potential (Frankincense, Sandalwoods, Cedarwood, Lavender, Melissa, Cypress and Helichrysum Blend)
Strength (Black Spruce, Rosewood, Blue Tansy and Frankincense, Juniperberry, Camphor, Yarrow, Thyme, Tea Tree with Emu oil)
Peaceful (Tangerine, Orange, Ylang Ylang, Blue Tansy, Patchouli, Mandarin Red and Frankincense)
Focus (Rosemary, Peppermint, Roman Chamomile, Rosewood, Ylang Ylang, Basil, Bergamot, Geranium, Jasmine Sambac, Lemon and Palmarosa)
Diffusing 5 minutes on and 25 minutes off throughout the day and night.
Apply topically to pad of big toe, on temples and base of brain at neck as needed throughout the day. (Much of the above information is from the Essential Oil Desk Reference.)
1. My friend had astounding results using Potential and Peaceful with her twelve-year-old son who could hardly focus on anything. He is a new kid, and people who knew him before cannot get over the 100% turn around this boy has shown.
2. My five-year-old son has been diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I found a wonderful nutritionist and also did a lot of digging on the Internet, and my son has come a very long way in the last three years. I found a wealth of information on Dr. Mercola's website, which became my #1 resource for understanding how diet, detoxification and supplementation could help Joey. Initially I flat didn't believe that Joey had any food or environmental issues, yet after we "perfected" his diet (especially when we eliminated gluten and casein, corn, soy and other grains and sugar), we witnessed dramatic changed that no one could have ever imagined possible. Joey, who hardly spoke at all, suddenly began talking in complete 4-5 word sentences! Someone has said that this process is like peeling an onion. Each step taken reveals another issue to tackle. His brain was starved for nutrients because his body was unable to process them. Joey's obsessive/compulsive behaviors, uncontrollable tantrums and social withdrawal are all gone.
3. We began using Potential with my son when he was eight years old. He could barely read when we started this, but within a month of using Potential just a couple times daily, he began reading well and actually moved up three reading levels. His communication skills soared forward, too. He also suddenly began making eye contact with people, which was unheard of before. We also found that Strength and Sunshine help him through things that he finds more difficult such as crowds, changes, transitions and so on.
4. Our daughter has severe developmental delays with some autistic-like tendencies. Before we began using Adagio, she had a very difficult time focusing, had a hard time calming down for bed time and any changes to our daily routine were extremely difficult for her. I saw some change when I began using it as directed (1-2 drops at the base of neck, over the heart and on the feet), but then one day several drops ended up on my hand, and I did not wish to waste it. She was so vastly improved above the already improved condition that I began putting at least 10 drops on her spine and then 5-6 over her heart and on her feet. I do avoid putting it on the top of her head because it makes her head look greasy, but it's a good back-up option if she's having an extremely rough day. - Adrienne D.
5. I've been applying Vetiver on the big toes and Potential diluted to back of neck and thumbs/hands on my 11 year old with ASD/Epileptic son, for a few weeks now. They are working great - no need for Risperidone! - Sarah
6. Marcella - mother of a child with autism wrote: When you have a very sensitive child, everything that causes a ramping up of the immune system must be targeted for elimination. When you are trying to heal your child, you must start with healing the gut. If your child has food allergies, that's a sign those foods are not being recognized as "nutrition" - they are not healing to the body, they are harming the body by causing an increase in inflammation. If you only remove those foods that are "high or moderate" in their level of reactivity to the immune system, you will not see the results you are seeking because you cannot heal the gut as long as you are giving foods that cause inflammation.
Is it easy? No.
Is it necessary? Yes.
Is it doable? Absolutely.
7. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul! I apply Peaceful blend, one drop, every morning to the nape of my son's neck. He five and has autism but is more challenged with sensory issues. This blend/application routine has helped him calm his flapping and overall "business" to the point where he can participate in class. I also add Adagio to his big toe a few times a week. This seems to help him focus more and complete his work. We have almost completely eliminated processed foods from his diet and it makes a big difference as well. May God bless you and thank you again for sharing your experiences. (These are just a few of the blends we use daily. I have several others on hand in case needed!) - Mechelle