Insomnia / Habitual Sleeplessness
Insomnia may indicate an acidic body. Sometimes we are acidic when we are under more stress than usual. This is certainly something to consider. Testing acidity with pH strips (which should be available at local health food stores) and eating a diet conscious of pH may turn the situation around. Raw fruits are alkaline as well as raw greens such as spinach. Yogurt, almonds and pumpkin seeds help alkalize, too.
pH Balance Tonic
1 TB Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (you must use the organic, raw, unfiltered)
1 TB Local Raw Honey (if local honey is not available, then at least use raw - unprocessed)
1 Cup filtered Water
1. Breathe in through your nose for 4 seconds.
2. Hold that breath for 7 seconds.
3. Breathe out for 8 seconds. Repeat a few times.
According to Harvard-educated wellness practitioner Dr. Andrew Weil, this technique helps to slow down your heart rate and release soothing chemicals in your brain, which creates a tranqulizing effect. This is particularly helpful for sleep issues that relate to stress.
Comparisons for Effectiveness of Aromatherapy and Acupressure Massage on Quality of Life in Career Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Inhaled aromatherapy blend of equal parts Lavender, Marjoram and Clary Sage essential oils significantly increased both the quality of life and sleep quality in working women.
Sleep Issues and Homeopathy by Joette Calabrese, HMC, CCH, RSHom(Na)
The Use of Aromasticks to Help with Sleep Problems: A Patient Experience Survey from PubMed
Survey found that cancer patients noted improvement in sleep quality following the use of aromasticks and would continue to use them. Two sticks were used:
1) Bergamot and Sandalwood
2) Frankincense carterii, Mandarin, Lavender
1. I used to take a sleeping pill every night, but no more! I purchased an Breeze diffuser and placed it next to the bed with half Lavender and half Cedarwood. I also like to put a few drops of this blend into the palm of my hand and dip my finger into the oil so I can apply a bit to my forehead and under my ears. Next I rub my hands together, swish them over my jaw/cheeks and finally onto my pillowcase. This puts me out like a light.
2. I use a few drops of Lavender and Peaceful every night at bedtime. I just spread a few drops across both of the bottoms of my feet and climb into bed. Next, I cup my hands (with the remnants of the oils still on them) and breathe deeply. Within a few minutes, I am out “like a light” and don’t wake up until morning.
3. Strength usually works for me for insomnia. I drop some in the palms of my hands and try to get as much on my spine as I can. I also rub it on the bottoms of my feet. I also find that straight Vetiver is wonderfully powerful. I put a smidgen right on my tongue and hold my tongue to the roof of my mouth. It’s a slow-moving oil (thick), so it takes a while for it to come out of the bottles. Vetiver is also good for depression, ADD and so on. Peaceful, Lavender and Manger Gift are also good ones to try. I like them all!
4. I put Lavender on my wrists to help me go to sleep.
5. Cedarwood is my favorite sleep oil! I put a drop on a tissue and sleep with it next to my nose! It is heaven!
6. Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Dill work well for me.
7. Believe it or not, Immunition works for insomnia. I found this out by accident when I was trying to avoid getting the flu. Every night I’d rub Immunition on the bottoms of my feet and I’d sleep like a baby. When the flu passed and I stopped, I tossed and turned again as usual. When it clicked that it may have been the Immunition that had helped me, I went back to rubbing it on the bottoms of my feet before bedtime and now sleep well every night. Wow. I guess it helps my body produce just the right amount of melatonin to put me to sleep.
8. My husband has been putting Cedarwood in his left hand, then he rubs his hands together and inhales to help promote melatonin. This works to help him have a deep sleep. I use it as well!
9. I'm using Manger Gift for insomnia, and for the first time in years, I can sleep for 7 hours straight without even moving (or waking to use the bathroom!), but the best part is that I don't dream and thus I wake much more rested—thank you! My daughter won't go to bed without it. She has been suffering with headaches for years, but since she started college they had become unbearable. Manger Gift does not take them away, but does allow her to sleep.
10. My husband and I have been using Cedarwood at night to help sleep. It is working great. We put several drops on one hand, and rub both hands together then inhale it. I read it helps produce melatonin. We both sleep wonderfully!
11. A neurodevelopmentalist wrote: One of my moms is getting great results with this for her brain-injured baby to get sleep. She says it's the first thing that has worked: Buried Treasure Sleep Complete
12. Ron wrote: I was extremely tired all the time yet not able to sleep. I walked around foggy-brained. I learned that if the blood sugar gets too low while sleeping, the body wakes you up to keep you from going into a coma. Being awake stimulates enough glucose to keep you from sleeping permanently. These were the steps I took to turn my life around:
1) If/when I awake in the night, I eat some fruit and go back to bed.
2) Before bedtime, I drink a high-quality protein drink, which provides a slow-release source of glucose.
3) I eat smaller meals - graze rather than feast.This levels out the glucose and may help speed up metabolism for better weight control.
4) Dense proteins are desirable, long-lasting sources of glucose that I eat before 3 pm. I added free-range, organic eggs, organic, free-range chicken and organic wild salmon. Other than the protein shake, I want all foods digested before I climb into bed.
5) I supplement with Green Pasture BLUE ICE Royal Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend, Cinnamon Tingle for my essential fatty acids. Research shows that EFAs improve glucose and insulin control. It's also good for the foggy brain, heart, joints, liver and so on. I read that Clove and Thyme essential oils dramatically slow fatty acid breakdown and oxidation, so I add some of HEO's Endurance blend to my CLO.
6) I did a colon cleanse, because if the colon is not right, that can cause a leaky gut which causes brain fog.
7) I did a liver cleanse and use HEO's Liver/Gallbladder blend topically over my liver daily. A sluggish liver is not helping you, so do what you can to clean and support liver function.
13. I received my oils last week. I love them!!! I mixed Balance and Serenity last night. I used that along with Dr. Hull's Sleep and actually slept the entire night. I haven't slept an entire night thru in forever! Thank you so much!!! - Jacqueline
14. I LOVE Vetiver, Sandalwood and Clary Sage to sleep with, especially the Vetiver! The smell of Vetiver isn't offensive to me. It works so well, I must have it! - Leslie
15. Valerian on the bottoms of my feet relaxes me so much, and I sleep so much better when I use it. - Stef
16. In the beginning, I felt very strongly about the aroma of Vetiver - blech! But since menopause, I don't sleep as well, so I gave it a try, and it worked wonderfully well. Strangely enough, over time, I started appreciating the smell more and more; like my brain knows I need it so my "smeller" likes it. - Karen
17. I have terrible insomnia, toss and turn, you name it. So far, diffusing Peaceful nightly and Lavender on my wrists as I get into bed has helped. - Aubrey
18. I struggle with reactive hypoglycemia. I don't know about the oil's involvement, but I can tell you what has helped the sugar crashes and insomnia. I've found that adrenal issues, hormonal issues and health issues are often all wrapped up together. A few months ago I went auto-immune protocol PALEO - including no sugar - with one of my sons, who'd been struggling with a variety of health issues for over a year. The first thing we noticed (after a horrid week of detox) was that the sugar crashes were fewer and farther between. After a month, the crashes were almost non-existent, my insomnia was gone and my hormonal symptoms had greatly decreased if not gone away. I agree with Ron's testimony above (#12), with the exception that I can't eat just a fruit at night or I will crash again soon. A small amount of fruit (for me) needs to be coupled with a little protein (think walnuts, few bites of chicken, nut butters if you eat those, etc). - Aimee
19. Not and essential oil, but mag glycinate eliminated the dreaded 2am wake ups for me. - Susan
20. I have both Sleepy Time and Peaceful, and both relax me enough to sleep. Peaceful tends to put me to sleep more quickly, but Sleepy Time allows my mind to unwind more and has the restless leg / antsy feeling dampening effect. So I use them on different nights, depending how I feel. Some nights I don't need anything, but most nights, I use one or the other. But if I were just going to recommend one over the other, I'd say Sleepy Time. Sleepy Time also smells good, whereas Peaceful has a distinctive odor - not good nor bad, just distinctive.
21. I use Strength every night. I keep it on the nightstand and mix 3 drops into my palm (diluted with coconut oil). I apply to the bottoms of my feet and between my toes, and I sleep like a baby. - Sally
22. I love Adagio! I got it for my daughter to help with her trouble sleeping, thinking that I never have trouble sleeping. Well, life piled up on me and I'm dealing with some stressful things right now, so I decided to give it a go. I diluted it, and apply one drop to my wrist and then rub my wrists together, just before bed. In no time my brain and my muscles relax and I'm out, sleeping until morning when the dawn's light wakes me. I wake feeling refreshed and at peace. I dream during the nights and feel it's my brain's way of working things out for me. I am so thankful to have found Hopewell Oils too! - Tammy
23. I have a brain with no off button. Related, I sleep through the night now though with Peaceful! I hate when I forget to use it, because then I'm up at least once, if not twice. Peaceful is magical! - Sharon
24. Cedarwood on the bottoms of the feet or diffused works well, or Strength on the bottom of the feet and big toes. Strength knocks me out at night and I wake up feeling refreshed. My husband does really well with Cedarwood it reduces his snoring greatly - to almost none. - Robin
25. I have had insomnia for over 5 years as the result of a brain injury/PTSD from a car accident and the stress of caring for my daughter. With the use of Vitality during the day and Peaceful at night, I can count on at least 4-5 hours of sleep a night. That may not sound like much, but for me it's huge. I had tried everything from meditation and exercise to melatonin (refused to try prescription sleeping pills), and nothing helped at all until your oils. It has been a life saver! - Linda
26. I've been using Peaceful for a month now for help with sleeping. I wanted to wait for a time to make sure the results were consistent. I can honestly say this has helped me sleep much deeper and I don't wake up as much. I diffuse for a couple hours before bed and put it on my feet. I'm going to try it with my 14-year-old son who has some attention problems. Thanks so much, and I praise God for you all. Blessings! - Angela
27. Sleepy Time is great for sleep. For a deep sleep, I put it on the bottoms of my feet, but for just to stay asleep, I rub it on my chest. - Stacy
28. My husband wakes up in the night and can't go back to sleep. We have found combining a drop of Lavender with a drop of Strength knocks him out for the night! - Stephanie
29. Valerian on the bottoms of feet helps me stay asleep! - Libby
30. Peaceful really helps me stay asleep. - Diane
31. We use Peaceful to stay asleep, and it's awesome. Just a drop. Also, regarding magnesium, Natural Calm is awesome to help one's system relax. - Kathryn
32. I use Valerian, diluted on the bottoms of my feet. It works really well for me. Generally, I can get to sleep but not stay asleep. - Teresa
33. Cedarwood on both big toes is such a blessing for me - Danielle
34. To keep from waking up in the night, I use Valerian diluted on the bottoms of the feet. It works really well for me. I can get to sleep but not stay asleep. - Teresa
35. Cedarwood on both big toes is such a blessing for me. It helps me go to sleep and stay asleep. - Danielle
36. I cannot say enough about His Garments. I have used the spray before bed time consistently the last 12 nights. My fitness tracker shows that 10 out of those 12 nights have been 100% sleep efficiency with 0 times waking up. The other 2 nights were 98% and only waking twice, which is still great. I have not used OTC sleep aid and feel so much better. I also imagine myself actually putting on HIS garments and being clothed in Him!!! - Ann Marie
37. I diffuse 2 drops Clary Sage, 2 drops Cedarwood, 1 drop Vetiver and it knocks me out cold. I use this when the Sleepy Time tea with valerian root doesn't seem to work. I also use breathing exercise that is effective: 4 seconds pull a deep breath in, 7 seconds hold that breath, 8 seconds let that breath out. I do this lying down with the lights off. - Callie
38. Cedarwood Atlas was a game changer for me. I put a few drops of it in my wet palms after my shower and slightly rub my palms together and then on my scalp, temples, forehead and back of neck. Then I place my hand over my nose and inhale with a little getting on my nose. I put Lavender and Ylang Ylang on my wrists and Strength on my shoulders and the bottoms of my feet. I know that sounds like a lot of oil, but I sleep like a rock. When I added the Cedarwood, I really slept for the first time in a long time. I have been doing this routine for about a year I think. Before that, it had been a miserable year of insomnia. - Cammy
39. A friend with a background in Alternative Health Care suggested Oil of Spikenard for post-Lyme syndrome. She said your body can sort of get locked into a fight or flight mode, and Spikenard helps your Autonomic Nervous System relax. I started putting a few drops on the side of one foot and rubbed the feet together, and because I'm not crazy about the smell, I put a pair of socks on immediately. I did it in the morning and around dinner time. I started sleeping MUCH better (when no other oils I had tried for sleep did anything), and I wondered why until one day I forgot to put the Spikenard on and was lying awake until I remembered. I got the Spikenard, put some on and slept soundly. (I never say I slept like a baby because babies wake up every few hours and cry, LOL.) I hope this will help someone else. Nothing else even touched the insomnia. - Roberta
UPDATE: It only worked for a week then did nothing. HEO's comment: This is not all that unusual, as some report that alternating with another oil/blend works better than using a single oil/blend.
40. My husband has been having problems sleeping for a long time only getting 3-4 hours a night sleep. He tried 1% Peaceful (9 drops oil to 2 TBLS coconut oil blend) rubbed on bottom of feet and a little behind ears. He is getting a good 7 hours sleep, and it worked the first time applied. Thanks again. Now I get a peaceful sleep at night as well. - Karen
41. I ordered Adagio to help sleep issues for myself, and stress and anxiety issues for others I know. EVERYONE LOVES THIS BLEND! We use it diluted in a roller bottle mostly, but for those really difficult times when sleep is really evasive, we use it neat. We apply under the nose, at temples, between brows on forehead, at jaw joint, and back of head (all the "tension points" of the head). It works wonders to get back to sleep in the middle of the night too. Great for stress relief on the job too. Really love having natural remedies that are so effective! Thank you HEO family, and thank you LORD! - Kelley
42. I am AMAZED with the benefits of this Adagio. My husband has several health issues and today was an extremely bad day filled with pain and anxiety. His sleep pattern is normally fragmented with multiple awakenings, and tonight was even worse. I applied a drop of my sample Adagio on the soles of his feet, and I had him rub a drop between his palms and apply to his temples. I promise you that within 5 minutes he was sleeping peacefully. That was an hour ago and he is still resting comfortably. I'm ordering a larger size right now and will never be without it in the future. Simply AMAZING - just like our awesome God! Thank you HEO. - Rhonda
43. I am in love with your products! I've been using the Sleep Time and the Vitality blend and I feel like a new person! I have been through a very rough past few years and had "lost my sleep." I was unable to stay deeply asleep and would wake up many times through the night. When I started having hot flashes, that made it even worse, as I would toss and turn, kicking off covers then reaching to pull them back over myself, then kicking them off and repeating this over and over. This was exhausting and debilitating, as I never felt rested and my stress level was through the roof. I am so thankful that I found Hopewell Oils! I apply the Sleepy Time Spray to my neck, chest and forearms as well as to the back of my legs (it tames the restless legs like nothing else! Amazing!) and within minutes (MINUTES!) I am falling asleep. Even more wonderful is the fact that I stay asleep and I sleep deeply. As if this weren't enough, the Vitality blend has tamed my hot flashes. I created a 10% blend with a carrier oil and put it in a rollerball applicator. I apply this to the base of my throat and to my lower back once a day in the morning, and the lessening of my hot flashes is miraculous. I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I had a hot flash. They stopped within a day or two of starting to use this blend. The other day I came home from work and had so much energy. I was amazed to feel energetic and cheerful and not worn out and depressed. I am so thankful to have my sleep back and to have energy, focus and hope. I have been telling everyone I know about the Sleepy Time and Vitality blends and what they have done for me. Thank you so much for creating and offering these products. Thank you, thank you, thank you! - Kim S.
44. Sleepy Time has been helping me sleep so even got off Ambien with your help! Thank you so much for all you do!! - Brenda